• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2021 at 10:51 AM, Ken Aldred said:

The Eternals were created in the comics by the genetic engineering performed by The Celestials on a common, shared hominid ancestor, which makes us related species, genetic ‘cousins’.  This has been changed in the film, for me, spoiled and complicated somewhat, by making The Eternals aliens and removing that interrelationship.

Is this confirmed, and do you recall where you heard that?  I didn't notice they had changed the Eternals to not originating from the species on the planet they're on.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

Is this confirmed, and do you recall where you heard that?  I didn't notice they had changed the Eternals to not originating from the species on the planet they're on.

Over the past few months I’ve read a couple of articles with the film Eternals described as aliens, not earthborn.

My preference is that they remain as in the comics.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:07 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Over the past few months I’ve read a couple of articles with the film Eternals described as aliens, not earthborn.

I did not pick up on this. Now that would be a change to the source material I wouldn't care for, if true.

The_Eternals1_11.thumb.jpg.922c7592b22503e030500eaa9e59cb22.jpg

And even with the 'we never interfered' that is not completely accurate if the movies follows that path.

The_Eternals2_11.thumb.jpg.9ec43bd9959f1da1d4a725d1a8d273fe.jpg

On 8/25/2021 at 9:07 PM, Ken Aldred said:

In the end, though, it's the Eternals. Does anybody really care? As long as whatever creative choices they go with make sense in the movie and in the greater MCU I'm fine with. I just want a good movie.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, @therealsilvermane said:
On 8/26/2021 at 2:07 AM, Ken Aldred said:

In the end, though, it's the Eternals. Does anybody really care?

I do. Because I’m a fanboy and it was one of my favourite comics as a kid.

:baiting:

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

In the end, though, it's the Eternals. Does anybody really care? As long as whatever creative choices they go with make sense in the movie and in the greater MCU I'm fine with. I just want a good movie.

Seriously, though, I prefer the original idea that we have a direct genetic interrelationship; earthborn, fighting the same threats together, whether Deviant or Celestial interference.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I do. Because I’m a fanboy and it was one of my favourite comics as a kid.

I hear you. I'm a fan of those crazy Marvel 70's Kirby books, too, including 2001, Machine Man, and Devil Dinosaur. I have to read them in a certain context though as I've become aware (as I've gotten older) what awful science Kirby referenced (including the Chariots of the Gods hooplah that was prevelant at the time). With that...

Spoiler

...I did take a quick glimpse at that plot leak that came out a while back. It seems legit after seeing the trailers. Most likely, the leaked plot point that the Eternals are synthetic alien creations in the MCU is probably correct. Looking at it, though, that does seem to make more sense to me given how powerful the Eternals are and how they never age (including Sprite or whatever her name is) who has remained a child for a millenia. I understand filmmakers have to adjust comics stories for it to make more sense to modern audiences. We'll see.

Office Marvel Eternals Movie site

Marvel Studios' Eternals features an exciting new team of Super Heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ancient aliens who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years.

Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy forces them out of the shadows to reunite against mankind's most ancient enemy, the Deviants.

hm

I wonder if they start out thinking they are aliens, but then later in the movie they discover their origin is human and creation by the Celestials?

All three groups (humans, eternals, deviants) are from Earth (and have been here the whole time since the Celestials created all three) according to the 1970s (original) comics. 

The "aliens" comments in the press descriptions are likely to surprise the general audience... much like Mr. Mean Skrull in Captain Marvel was actual Mr. Good Father Skrull by the end.  

There's an alien ship in the first images of the Eternals marketing.   Of course they're aliens...  until they're... surprise... not!  

Dramatic Gopher GIFs | Tenor

On 8/25/2021 at 8:07 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Why can't they be both? Genetic "cousins" who were born elsewhere? 

On 8/26/2021 at 11:27 AM, AGGIEZ said:

It could turn out that way.

But with the way these things have played out at times with the MCU (e.g. Skrulls were completely good guys - not a divided race), time will tell.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

Now that would be a change to the source material I wouldn't care for, if true.

The_Eternals1_11.thumb.jpg.922c7592b22503e030500eaa9e59cb22.jpg

And even with the 'we never interfered' that is not completely accurate if the movies follows that path.

Well, the source material does say "THE ETERNAL! He was more a child of the gods than of Earth... He reached for the universe!"

It's hard to reach for the universe without leaving the planet.  They stayed here, of course, but that doesn't mean they didn't venture out.

Since it's Disney, the movie is likely to follow Moana, where the "we don't leave our island" people know that they absolutely used to leave the island.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:40 AM, valiantman said:

Well, the source material does say "THE ETERNAL! He was more a child of the gods than of Earth... He reached for the universe!"

It's hard to reach for the universe without leaving the planet.  They stayed here, of course, but that doesn't mean they didn't venture out.

Since it's Disney, the movie is likely to follow Moana, where the "we don't leave our island" people know that they absolutely used to leave the island.

brooklyn99-brooklyn-nine-nine.gif.01087c08111d4e4b346cc84ac138f8f3.gif

:baiting::roflmao:

Being they are timeless so therefore had time to spare, you would assume with the right vehicle they had to have traveled at times to understand the universe around them. But how that plays out will make the difference between 'THAT MAKES SENSE' or 'WTH'.

:popcorn:

On 8/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, Bosco685 said:

brooklyn99-brooklyn-nine-nine.gif.01087c08111d4e4b346cc84ac138f8f3.gif

:baiting::roflmao:

Being they are timeless so therefore had time to spare, you would assume with the right vehicle they had to have traveled at times to understand the universe around them. But how that plays out will make the difference between 'THAT MAKES SENSE' or 'WTH'.

:popcorn:

In the What If? backups that integrated The Eternals with Starlin's Titan, and also the society on Uranus from Atlas Era Marvel Boy which created the Quantum Bands, they were capable of space travel and colonising hostile solar system environments millennia ago, so that's easily retconned further to interstellar travel.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:40 PM, valiantman said:

And they did, as seen in the What If? back up stories.  These stories were collected together in a one-shot special called Eternals : Secrets From the Marvel Universe.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:27 PM, AGGIEZ said:

I like the clinical simplicity of the First Celestial Host experimenting with the same hominid source material and creating three separate strains from it with different levels of genetic stability.

To me, elaborating on that is fine, but unnecessary.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:48 PM, Ken Aldred said:

And they did, as seen in the What If? back up stories.  These stories were collected together in a one-shot special called Eternals : Secrets From the Marvel Universe.

Right! I tracked that first Eternals story to What If? #25 (February, 1981) in a backup feature called "Untold Tales of the Marvel Universe" and the story titled "The First Uni-Mind" which appears to be the first comic book story where Thanos' father A'lars refers to his brother as Zuras (the Eternal) instead of Zeus.

Actually, What If? #24 (January, 1981) seems to be the first "Untold Tales of the Marvel Universe" story, "The First Eternals", that does take Starlin's original story of Chronos from Captain Marvel #29 and retcons it so that Chronos is established as an Eternal and is retconned as the father of A'lars, who is the father of Thanos.

Edited by @therealsilvermane