• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

I don't care. I reckon this is going to be good. I believe in Madden, not so much Harrington. But Madden's projects are good. 

The MCU has a Superman, now?

Notes:

• Thanos is a deviant, so why didn't they interfere?
  • People reappearing "provided energy necessary" for what? How?
  • I'm sorry, but the VFX look awful.

I'm sure that the "what" will be answered, but the "how"...? I'm guessing that they will dismiss Thanos as a deviant?

That's the "final" trailer? Much better than the priors, yes. Mentioning The Decimation is cute and all, but it doesn't really make up for the lack of 'interesting' from the rest of the trailer.

Solid trailer.

But Ikaris looks and seemingly has the same powers as Homelander from The Boys.

Not sure this has general moviegoer appeal.

Overall nothing seems original or jaw-dropping enough relative to other recent superhero projects - although the quick shot of the Celestial came close.

The ensemble cast really does look outstanding all the way across the board. Seeing the deviants finally is good. I want to know what's going on between Kro and Thena. Ikaris is obviously our main character I'm just wondering if the plot leak is going to hold up or if they're going to change it based on the audience feedback like I also heard. I think this will be a movie full of lore and character development and the action will come second, which I'm totally fine with. Not every movie has to be explosions on top of explosions and car chase scenes.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, AJLewandoski said:

The ensemble cast really does look outstanding all the way across the board. Seeing the deviants finally is good. I want to know what's going on between Kro and Thena. Ikaris is obviously our main character I'm just wondering if the plot leak is going to hold up or if they're going to change it based on the audience feedback like I also heard. I think this will be a movie full of lore and character development and the action will come second, which I'm totally fine with. Not every movie has to be explosions on top of explosions and car chase scenes.

In the comics, Kro and Thena had a forbidden affair.

I believe Sersi will end up being the main character. This was confirmed by Kevin Feige. It makes sense, as she is the Eternal who loves being with humans the most and is the one OG Eternal (not counting Starfox) who actually became an Avenger.

On 8/19/2021 at 10:38 AM, D84 said:

Ever since Ragnarok, the jokes have become the facepalm moments of the MCU.

I wanna say that it started with Age of Ultron. It's the first one I can think of when the heroes starting joking and quipping mid-battle.

Moments when it's appropriate: I would use on Titan in Infinity War as an example. The group is huddled together and interacting.

In the same movie, though, you have Iron Man and Spider-Man talking while Black Dwarf is right there (standing doing nothing while they talk).

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 8/19/2021 at 9:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wanna say that it started with Age of Ultron. It's the first one I can think of when the heroes starting joking and quipping mid-battle.

Moments when it's appropriate: I would use on Titan in Infinity War as an example. The group is huddled together and interacting.

In the same movie, though, you have Iron Man and Spider-Man talking while Black Dwarf is right there (standing doing nothing while they talk).

I can see that too with Age of Ultron. Maybe Ragnarok was my breaking point with it. With the exception of the first between Thor and Hulk, that movie is like fingernails on a chalkboard. 

On 8/19/2021 at 3:49 AM, fantastic_four said:

Every trailer before this one has been meh, but this one is pretty far from those.  I'm actually excited about this movie now.  :whee:

I know nothing about the Eternals and I’ve kept it that way so I can go in completely blind and without expectations.  This has been the first trailer I’ve seen for this movie that also captures my attention as something I need to see. 

On 8/19/2021 at 10:18 AM, Buzzetta said:

I know nothing about the Eternals and I’ve kept it that way so I can go in completely blind and without expectations.  This has been the first trailer I’ve seen for this movie that also captures my attention as something I need to see. 

because they mentioned "thanos"

On 8/19/2021 at 11:23 AM, jsilverjanet said:

because they mentioned "thanos"

No because it seems to make a little more sense than they are just 'there'.  Thanos was included in the line that made it for me but not because of Thanos itself.   With this movie, I have had the attitude of, 'why now' and simply, 'why'?  Why is this relevant.  @fantastic_four gave a good example of how this might introduce mutants to the MCU.  However the line that sells it for me is when they provide the answer.  The Thanos snap wipes everyone out but Tony Stark's snap brings everyone back and also provides the energy needed to awaken the big bad for this movie.

When they announced Eternals many people wanted to know where were these guys during Endgame?  And this is a question that people are going to ask of the Fantastic Four and eventually the X-Men when announced.  Eternals addresses that finally in the trailer which was kind of important to establish some more credibility with an audience to buy into the movie. 

Looks fantastic.  Loved the first trailer.  Love the second one even more.  Definitely a first day release movie date...with big popcorn and big soda.

However, I think they felt like they needed to make this trailer to explain the questions that came from the first trailer...why didn't they interfere when Thanos snapped.  That felt forced.

***That last Ikea scene did make me laughlol

On 8/19/2021 at 10:37 AM, Buzzetta said:

No because it seems to make a little more sense than they are just 'there'.  Thanos was included in the line that made it for me but not because of Thanos itself.   With this movie, I have had the attitude of, 'why now' and simply, 'why'?  Why is this relevant.  @fantastic_four gave a good example of how this might introduce mutants to the MCU.  However the line that sells it for me is when they provide the answer.  The Thanos snap wipes everyone out but Tony Stark's snap brings everyone back and also provides the energy needed to awaken the big bad for this movie.

When they announced Eternals many people wanted to know where were these guys during Endgame?  And this is a question that people are going to ask of the Fantastic Four and eventually the X-Men when announced.  Eternals addresses that finally in the trailer which was kind of important to establish some more credibility with an audience to buy into the movie. 

the music in the background tries too hard to take it self seriously

"this is the thinking mans comic book movie"

giphy.gif

On 8/19/2021 at 12:04 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Haha. Good ones.

I approach movies like I approach comics.  Looks fun, enjoyable and entertaining...I'm all for it.

I'll let smarter people than me debate the politics/revenue/jokes/this/that/etc. behind it all.

***Some people are easily entertained...then there's the rest