• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Continually surprised at what sells and what doesn’t

89 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

That is a rare limited edition.

What a weird number, limited edition of 32,000? How on earth did they arrive at that number? And man, how the times have changed. 32,000 would be a healthy print run for most mainstream comics these days!

As for everything selling at a certain price, I think that's true. People love comics, and want to buy comics. As was said, you can even move funny animal books and westerns if they're priced cheap enough. In my experience, these sorts of books generally go to casual buyers who just see an "old" book and believe that "old = $$$" no matter what it is. You will then often see these books at an insane mark up on Facebook Marketplace, where they will linger indefinitely.

But not EVERYTHING will sell. Everything does have a price though, it's true; but sometimes that price is "I'm going to pay YOU to haul these longboxes of drek out of my basement!"

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

What a weird number, limited edition of 32,000? How on earth did they arrive at that number? And man, how the times have changed. 32,000 would be a healthy print run for most mainstream comics these days!

As for everything selling at a certain price, I think that's true. People love comics, and want to buy comics. As was said, you can even move funny animal books and westerns if they're priced cheap enough. In my experience, these sorts of books generally go to casual buyers who just see an "old" book and believe that "old = $$$" no matter what it is. You will then often see these books at an insane mark up on Facebook Marketplace, where they will linger indefinitely.

But not EVERYTHING will sell. Everything does have a price though, it's true; but sometimes that price is "I'm going to pay YOU to haul these longboxes of drek out of my basement!"

yeah i'd like to have a talk with the guy who thought doing a "limited edition" of 32k floppies was a good idea.  i mean, artificial scarcity - you ain't doin it rite dood

3 hours ago, comics4all said:

Was it your friend @ the LCS or the owner who told you were paying too much for the books? If it's the owner I want to go to that shop! I have never had a LCS owner tell me that! 

The owner, who is my friend.  He says he gets more business in the long run by not being greedy about stuff.

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

Damn! I wanna go to that LCS! 

Big Brother Comics.  Really just a great store.  Owner greets every single person that walks in.  

Someone came in with Batman 26 and he told the guy he couldnt give him what it was worth and recommended another store.  The guy knew nothing about comics and would have sold it for $10.  Not only is he just honest but he knows buying something cheap that a guy later finds out was worth a lot is not good business.

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

Your cover art is cool! I love the Easter Eggs like Tommy Tutone & the "Kav" on her belt!

Lois' Boob is breaking the 4th wall thru the edge of the cover & almost the Brick wall!

She's mighty mighty.

Just now, dupont2005 said:

Kav, what do you illustrate your cover recreations on?

I use exact index 110 lb paper from office max.  I Use copic 0.5 and Futiyake brush pen.