• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Continually surprised at what sells and what doesn’t

89 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bird said:

I’ve been buying and selling comics now for a few years and yet I’m still continually surprised at what sells and what doesn’t.  I know it’s often the function of the price and the venue but it seems every day brings a new surprise .  For instance early in the month I bought a box off an auction house, I bought the box for the dark Knight returns first print paper back and the complete V for Vendetta set in high-grade  and they remain in my collection still. And yet from that same box I have sold the sealed Dracula one to four set, the  signed Batman dark joker the wild hardcover,  and the three tales from the crypt reprints  which have more than paid for the whole box !!! In fact they paid for the box two times over So I’m not complaining I’m just surprised

Sorry I think I might of hijacked your thread LOL

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

Not judging but ignorant I guess, why do dudes collect romance comics LOL? (shrug)  They seem to sell like hot cakes on the threads here!

The Matt Baker art is highly sought after. Personally I like a lot of the kitschy covers.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

The Matt Baker art is highly sought after. Personally I like a lot of the kitschy covers.

I love em.  I've re created dozens.  Of course I add some plastic surgery.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

I send all my recreations and other GGA to a boardie-350 so far.  It made him like me!

Janet?

7 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Sorry I think I might of hijacked your thread LOL

It's all good! 

7 hours ago, kav said:

Lotta great covers and amusing stories!

1 - 2019-02-27T211421.278.jpg

No threadkrapping! :sumo:

10 hours ago, kav said:

My LCS buddy had half a short box of books-SA thor and some ASMs etc.  I told him I'd give him $85 he said no thats too much.  I said trust me I'm gettin a good deal.  One of the ASMs alone netted me $40 and I made about $100 and still kept all the Thors.  I said see I told you you werent rippin me off!  

Was it your friend @ the LCS or the owner who told you were paying too much for the books? If it's the owner I want to go to that shop! I have never had a LCS owner tell me that! 

Everything sells. Everything. 

In my 50-cent and $1 boxes, I have a lot of books that I never thought would go even at those low prices, and yet, there they are, in somebody's pile. 

Some things sell faster than others, and some things you really have to practically give it away, but there are buyers.

Last weekend I sold both a Jimmy Olsen #134 and a Bobby Sherman #3. Who'd'a thunk?

True dat! At the Yorba Linda show I sold just about everything you could imagine. At the right price even westerns, funny animal Dells, Metamorpho and Superboy sold. Lot of run collectors still out there still as well. Just got to price them right and out they go...

11 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

If you can figure out why Lichtenstein choose romance to base his work off, and then figure out why this piece went for 45 mil in 2012, you'll be closer to the answer.

Sleeping_Girl_source_cropped_zpsaoecwrj6                          Sleeping_Girl_zpshzznjqx0.jpg

makes no sense to me. (shrug)

53 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

True dat! At the Yorba Linda show I sold just about everything you could imagine. At the right price even westerns, funny animal Dells, Metamorpho and Superboy sold. Lot of run collectors still out there still as well. Just got to price them right and out they go...

That stuff will sell quickly at $1 a pop, even $2, depending