• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collector Intervention
3 3

140 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I hate it when Rick giggles at his own 'jokes'.

I love it how he says, "I'm interested in buying the Avengers", but "I'm counting on the next movie being good!" If you don't like or have faith in the avenger why are you buying it period and quibbling over $100 when you think you'll make money anyway lol

Reputation at stake! AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!! GOOD ON REECE!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I love it how he says, "I'm interested in buying the Avengers", but "I'm counting on the next movie being good!" If you don't like or have faith in the avenger why are you buying it period and quibbling over $100 when you think you'll make money anyway lol

Reputation at stake! AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!! GOOD ON REECE!

There's no way he would have lost money buying it for 3300.  Good chance he would have made a good chunk.  In game theory, if a move costs you nothing and might benefit you, you make the move.

Interesting thread.

My observations-- 

1) I'm not a fan of how that guy collects, what he collects, or the incredible amount of books he has for a collection but I get his passion for why he collects. If it makes you happy, why not go for it?

2) The size of that collection is abusive to anyone UNLESS you have a decent sized space to contain it. Either find a larger place to live that accommodates it, a place where you can keep it off site (temp controlled storage), or a partner who is also into it/doesn't mind the burden.

3) The fiance -- while mostly understanding-- is annoying to me. This isn't some new problem she just uncovered-- you cannot hide that collection from someone you are dating. She reminds me of women who have this entire plan to "change" that man into one they want. If I were them-- I would just split up. This is not going to work out in the long run. I could be wrong-- but it just felt like a bad fit.

4) The statement that no collector/collection is legit without silver and golden age books is just ridiculous. She ignores so many great books with that statement and then in a true moment of irony-- convinces him to trade 2000 books for a Bronze age Hulk 181. Great trade-- no doubt - even if it is missing a marvel stamp, has unverified writing on the cover and no one bothered taking it out of the damn bag.

5) Of course this was fake. And the reason that he got that great book (assuming it was as nice as it appeared) - was that she made sure that happened exactly as she wanted it to go down. She probably told the owner in advance-- "look, we need this guy to turn in these 2000 basically drek runs of comics to you in a trade for the Hulk 181. We will pay you for the book-- we want a win. Also-- play up how great these runs are and how great a collection it is but whatever you do-- do not let this guy leave with his books."

6) The boxes. So many boxes. And practically no thought in how to arrange them so that they weren't staring you in the face every place you walked in that apartment. No racks, nothing covering them - no real effort to conceal a butt load of boxes. Who wants to look at that other than someone coming to buy your collection?

7) This is to @Buzzetta  - your take on what baseball cards are worth anything leads me to presume that you are probably a die hard Yankee fan. As a White Sox fan, I had the same feeling about our teams cards being the ones worth having for the brief time I ever bought baseball card packs. Thankfully the only use I had for baseball cards as a kid was to clothesline clip them to my bike to make the spoke give me that motorcycle sound. Also-- run collecting is not an all or nothing approach. For instance, I only collect a couple of different titles and a limited range of those titles, sometimes based on the artist or the story line. None of my runs are more than 200 books. I don't spend a ton on the key books though I have many that became keys over the years. I usually fill those issues in with reprints. My collection will never exceed 2000 comics. Your approach is not wrong in limiting your buys to basically the key books-- but it doesn't make run collectors wrong either. But what do I know-- I don't own any golden age books.

PS-- thanks to @gregreece for giving us his story about the Pawn Stars appearance. I stopped watching these shows about 6 years ago after reading some of the tales of how they are created. It is nice to hear that he enjoyed his experience at least. The only thing anyone should ever learn from Pawn Stars is that it is a great place to get much less money than you would just selling it yourself. Almost all of those places are ripoffs that prey on people who are desperate.

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

3) The fiance -- while mostly understanding-- is annoying to me. This isn't some new problem she just uncovered-- you cannot hide that collection from someone you are dating. She reminds me of women who have this entire plan to "change" that man into one they want.

Then once they 'change' him they start looking for a man that has a set.

Edited by kav

7 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Can't think right now about comics or anything really.  Charlotte just got thrown off a roof.  Its bad man, really bad. RIP Charlotte...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5c7.jpg.ac58c956eaf5d1029f1b33a81fe49f59.jpg

No what do you mean who did that NOOO

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

Why would cops or any sane person do such a thing?

Can ya call the cops on this evil creature?

Just now, Karl Liebl said:

It's not my animal and I can not do anything about it except and moan.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46d.jpg.b880472241a45671aceb721680de8560.jpg

Its against the law to kill a cat.  Call the police.

21 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

I think I'd rather have a fun run of Quasar than put up with this.

And, excuse me nag, there's nothing wrong with having your dining room suite constructed out of BCW boxes!

nag.thumb.jpg.e069fb54945b21ec6824a3c01100d0d3.jpg

I like the guy in that one comic book that spoofs collectors (can't pull the name out right now) that sleeps on a bed of long boxes.

22 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

I think I'd rather have a fun run of Quasar than put up with this.

And, excuse me nag, there's nothing wrong with having your dining room suite constructed out of BCW boxes!

nag.thumb.jpg.e069fb54945b21ec6824a3c01100d0d3.jpg

Nah, I would share her reaction if I was going to live in a house overrun with clutter. 

If you're really, really bored that program was kinda interesting. The host was easy on the eyes!!!! Did an image search of the host, what else has she been in?

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1915&bih=875&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=vq99XLCaKomRjwTo_KeICw&q=miranda+kerr&oq=miran&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.22281.24372..26527...0.0..0.85.416.5......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0.lnMCc7tbbCo#imgdii=qpcs5xJLQ8rW8M:&imgrc=wwcGPkU9zWRMYM:

Edited by NoMan