• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glynn Crain Illustration SF art Collection to be sold by HA.COM

115 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Bronty said:
9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Based on what is listed in the preview so far, he might have an awesome collection, but he's not including any of the good stuff in this auction.

Look through the CAF.    May not change your opinion but you can see the other material there.

I'm not denying the quality of his collection.  I'm just saying that based on what's in the preview so far, the good stuff ain't going into this auction.

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

If the pieces are good enough, they will sell very strongly no matter when the auction is.

Respectfully disagree... All of the major auction houses have their biggest sales during tax refund season and Christmas gift-buying season -- like clockwork. You can probably lose 1-3 bids during the summer -- about 10-20% -- that might've been there in the spring and fall.

Yeah, the Jon Berk collection really suffered from being auctioned in June. :eyeroll:

37 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, the Jon Berk collection really suffered from being auctioned in June. :eyeroll:

June isn't quite as bad as July-Sept, but we will see. Maybe the plan is to whet the appetites with "lesser" pieces in August and put the better stuff into Fall-Winter-Spring.

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Respectfully disagree... All of the major auction houses have their biggest sales during tax refund season and Christmas gift-buying season -- like clockwork. You can probably lose 1-3 bids during the summer -- about 10-20% -- that might've been there in the spring and fall.

Fine art world goes on vacation after the major May sales and doesn't come back until September/October fairs. That effect might not be as pronounced in comic/illustration art though. But in general people with money (to spend on art) are distracted doing other stuff in the summer.

The real issue is what will they hold back....based on the CAF....however I think there is more material that is just on the CAF....If I was selling I would give it my best shot on the first sale and keep the small redundant pieces for future auctions

I was just given some insight about this special auction. Expect to hear considerably more about this auction very soon-  this is the tip of the iceberg.  What has been posted so far is just the normal HA working through it all as they process it.  The width and breadth of this will be expansive. 

12 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I was just given some insight about this special auction. Expect to hear considerably more about this auction very soon-  this is the tip of the iceberg.  What has been posted so far is just the normal HA working through it all as they process it.  The width and breadth of this will be expansive. 

I was thinking the same thing, it's rather premature to assume that 41 lots represents the total effort for the sale.

There are auctions coming much sooner that have only a few images in the coming soon section.

On a tangential note, on WFAN sports radio out of NYC this morning they were discussing a Lou Gehrig auction and the guy mentioned Heritage a couple of times and said how well they sourced some of the items. I specifically recall the discussion of a purple kimono given to Gehrig in one of his trips to Japan in either 1931 or 1934 I think that had minimal interest until about a week before the auction when HA posted a picture of Lou wearing it in his home. I think he said that it went for $34K or something like that and he attributed a lot of that to HA's good work researching the items.

5 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Anyone notice the stepped up BP for this auction? 25% on the first 300k. I wonder if this is a change coming into effect for all auctions sometime later this year.

under terms and conditions the vig is still 20% on comic art, animation and some other categories but it doesn't mention illustration art so looks like you are correct about the 25%

42 minutes ago, Bird said:

under terms and conditions the vig is still 20% on comic art, animation and some other categories but it doesn't mention illustration art so looks like you are correct about the 25%

The April 2019 Illustration auction is also 25% so maybe this is standard for that category. I never noticed that before. 

1 minute ago, cstojano said:

The April 2019 Illustration auction is also 25% so maybe this is standard for that category. I never noticed that before. 

I feel like I noticed that bump in Illustration category at least a year...it did affect my (lack of) bidding.

4 hours ago, artdealer said:

BP on Illustration art has been 25% for at least 2-3 years now. 

MI

Yup, nothing new.

Hasn't affected my bidding at all.  When it was 20%, I would figure out my target price, divide by 1.2 and that would be the bid I submitted.  Now that it's 25%, I divide by 1.25.  My total cost remains completely unchanged.

I guess it chased away the bidders who believed that their total costs must now be 5% higher, though, because I've won more in the Illustrated Art auctions last 18 months than I had in ages.

In fact, I'd love to see Heritage jack up its BP for comics/comic art to 35% to see if that'll drive more competitors bidders away. 

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

In fact, I'd love to see Heritage jack up its BP for comics/comic art to 35% to see if that'll drive more competitors bidders away. 

Except that the quality of their consignments would plummet by 95% if that happened.   

On 3/2/2019 at 5:47 AM, The Voord said:

Been watching Glynn's CAF Galleries for years.  He has a phenomenal collection.  Is he letting EVERYTHING go, or just streamlining?

I don't know the answer to that, but, when I saw his Wally Wood Weird Science cover show up at Heritage last year, I was pretty surprised, and took it as a sign that something significant had changed regarding his collecting aims, as he had shown no interest at all in letting it go when I approached him about it 2 years prior.  As such, I suppose I'm not surprised to see more of his excellent pieces hit the auction block.

On 3/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, BCarter27 said:

I find it interesting that this is the first HA auction since the Euro Comic Art that's had estimates on the website. Am I forgetting another? I wonder if the consignor stipulated this.

The more that I think about it...what IS the purpose of placing estimates on lots anyway?  

10 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

The more that I think about it...what IS the purpose of placing estimates on lots anyway?  

I don't know about Texas or HA but in general with fine art estimates give the auctioneer a floor to bid up to with chandelier bids, can indicate a reserve or a guarantee. By posting them nobody can say the House wasn't being transparent ;)