• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal now requires identification?

41 posts in this topic

Just now, Wolverinex said:

Did anyone get an email from PayPal saying they require identification now if you want to use the balance? Otherwise your account will stop working on the 18th of March?

Yes I got that. Thought it sounded scammy and smelt of phish so I went to mypaypal and they had a notification saying the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Ugh, what is everyone going to do?

If it is official... why not "confirm info"? I still haven't got that notification yet....

I prefer to transfer funds to my account when I get paid so no big deal for me. It's free to do so and allows to withdraw that money from my bank if I need the cash.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If it is official... why not "confirm info"? I still haven't got that notification yet....

You could always call them and report back here what they say

Saw it, and ignored it. I think it's legit, but I'm lazy...and I don't really care if I use my bank account or paypal balance. I don't typically keep a balance in my paypal anyways... Plus I think it was asking for a social security number? Which, I avoid at all costs...

7 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:
9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You could always call them and report back here what they say

I don't have a problem with it (shrug) My main problem is ebay no longer using PayPal as a go between and wanting to handle my bank info......

Yes I did it not a problem.  They are verifying you are you this is a good thing.

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

I guess I don't like giving paypal my social security... but I guess I might have too...

I don't either, I don't like having bank info online either, but look at it this way, my online banking is on there whether I log in or not.... I've never logged in always use the phone for the bank, but I'm sure it is already there...

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't either, I don't like having bank info online either, but look at it this way, my online banking is on there whether I log in or not.... I've never logged in always use the phone for the bank, but I'm sure it is already there...

Im of the older mindset , SS number is never to be given out , but I find all this to be common knowledge anyways - of all the purchases I’ve made online over the years - I’ve only been hacked at a gas station , besides when I call my bank it asks me to enter my PIN number as a verification - which definitely set off red flags at first 

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

It's the last 4 digits. 

I believe this is true, that it isn't the entire number....

2 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Im of the older mindset , SS number is never to be given out , but I find all this to be common knowledge anyways - of all the purchases I’ve made online over the years - I’ve only been hacked at a gas station , besides when I call my bank it asks me to enter my PIN number as a verification - which definitely set off red flags at first 

I was just in Paypal and saw nothing like this nor have I received any notification. Sounds a little "physhy" to me. I am usually asked to verify my phone number but that is it. I believe the only way Paypal needs your SS number is if you are doing over $20K in sales and will send you a 1090 form for taxes.

Edited by Robot Man