• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC TO AUTHENTICATE PRINTS FOR SIGNATURE SERIES Yellow Label :) by CGC
1 1

31 posts in this topic

CGC TO AUTHENTICATE PRINTS
FOR SIGNATURE SERIES
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp
(Sarasota, Florida 3/12/19) Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) announces that it has expanded its Signature Series program to include the authentication of signatures on prints.  This much-anticipated program goes into effect at Emerald City Comic Con (March 14, 2019).

As with comics submitted for Signature Series, prints that have been signed in the presence of a CGC Witness can be submitted for authentication and encapsulation with CGC’s Signature Series label.  CGC will not authenticate or grade the actual print, just authenticate the signature itself.

“Collectors have asked that this service be added to our Signature Series program, and we’re happy to accommodate them,” said Harshen Patel, CGC Director of Operations. “Authenticating signed prints opens up a new area of value for hobbyists.”

The fees are $25 for prints and $15 for photo sketches. The maximum sizes that CGC will encapsulate are as follows:
  • Small-sized print: 9” x 11”- $15
  • Medium-sized print: 11” x 17” - $25
  • Large-sized print: 14” x 20” - $25
Typically, signatures are obtained at conventions. Stop by the CGC booth first for a CGC Witness.  For more information on the program and any exclusions, contact CGC Customer Service at submissions@cgccomics.com.

About CGC
Founded in 2000, CGC is the first impartial, third-party comic book grading service. Its proven and respected commitment to integrity, accuracy and consistency combined with a passion for comics has made CGC the leader in its field.  CGC has graded over 5 million collectibles.
Edited by ADAMANTIUM

12 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Kinda cool, right?

I think so :foryou:

I don't often buy prints, if I do it is usually at a con, it makes sense that now I can grab a witness and testify :headbang:haha

I guess it will be in a floppy 3 ring binder style holder....

What is funny, original art is about the size of Campbell's prints, could you imagine? Usually when you buy an OA page, the artists signs it lol that would be interesting....

So did anyone take advantage of this yet? :devil:

On 3/12/2019 at 2:28 PM, dupont2005 said:

I wonder if postcards would be considered small prints? I have a small collection of comic related postcards I buy to frame, wouldn’t mind getting a few signed. 

Tag your friends :banana: 

I can just see into the future people buying my prints that I own, "does this Sig look authentic to you?"

Well sonny, I was around before CGC provided the service! :preach::banana:

On 4/15/2019 at 9:31 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I can just see into the future people buying my prints that I own, "does this Sig look authentic to you?"

Well sonny, I was around before CGC provided the service! :preach::banana:

9 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Just to be clear, they are still not authenticating unwitnessed signatures.

right on :) 

On 4/15/2019 at 9:12 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So did anyone take advantage of this yet? :devil:

Tag your friends :banana: 

I have mine returning Tuesday. I had Steven Gordon (animator of X-Men Evolution) sign it at the Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con in June. My buddy got his back yesterday and says its not sturdy. Might have to put it in a top loader. I do have a question. So will they start building sets for signed prints?

36 minutes ago, RayJr said:

I have mine returning Tuesday. I had Steven Gordon (animator of X-Men Evolution) sign it at the Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con in June. My buddy got his back yesterday and says its not sturdy. Might have to put it in a top loader. I do have a question. So will they start building sets for signed prints?

Not sure, if they have built sets then I haven't heard...

I imagined the cases were floppy, perhaps could go in a binder idk, hopefully they're still able to hang on a wall or be framed....

42 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not sure, if they have built sets then I haven't heard...

I imagined the cases were floppy, perhaps could go in a binder idk, hopefully they're still able to hang on a wall or be framed....

Yea, I'm hoping the same thing about be able to hang it on the wall. I roll to the field tomorrow so the earliest I can post a pic of it will be the 15th of August once I am done with training.

My issue with this is that prints are actually intended for one thing...art.  Comic books can be displayed, but that isn't their primary function.  Prints are meant to be hung on walls or in art folios.  I have bought several prints and had them framed behind museum glass.  What would a CGC authenticated print even look like?  I can't imagine it would look good behind museum glass as it would probably create a glare or some such.  Unless CGC wants to get into the framing business, I see no reason to pay them to authenticate a signature.  If we're talking original art, sure I can get that.  But I don't think many people are buying prints to resell.  They're buying them because they want to hang it in their homes.  And there's less inclination to have something authenticated when the only person who's concerned about the authenticity of the print is you.

1 hour ago, RayJr said:

Got my 1st signed print back from CGC today and this will probably be my last. Very flimsy. Signed by Steven Gordon.

51DAD402-E994-4942-89E1-C673DFC6ABF4.jpeg

not too bad for authenticity, as for the flimsiness, a print is like that anyway and this is easier to frame or hang than a big slab....

imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

not too bad for authenticity, as for the flimsiness, a print is like that anyway and this is easier to frame or hang than a big slab....

imo

I agree with the framing, I just wish they would have shown an example. I was thinking it was going to be sturdy but it's all good, my wife is looking for a nice frame for it so I can hang it up once we moce in a couple weeks to Washington state.

Did you end up figuring out a framing option?? I'm gonna be getting a Print Signed at the Crain Tour Stop in Kentucky on June 27. I'm thinking of getting it Slabbed as well. Is that even the correct term?

13 minutes ago, Dmit317 said:

Did you end up figuring out a framing option?? I'm gonna be getting a Print Signed at the Crain Tour Stop in Kentucky on June 27. I'm thinking of getting it Slabbed as well. Is that even the correct term?

Honestly seems a little weird framing something in a plastic bag (?).  I have a few prints behind museum glass which reduces the glare, but I'm guessing I would still have glare from the bag itself.  Sure, I'll regret it if prints ever shoot up in value the way comics have, but otherwise, framing is expensive itself without adding on the cost of authentication services.