• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 March Madness - Round of 48
3 3

191 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Something wrong with the interior of the book? I feel dumb now (: but this is a learning process right? 

Ya the grading contest isn't a perfect science...due to not seeing the insides but it'll do lol

1 hour ago, Dan82 said:

Here's one for you... How can I find double covers in my collection? I know for sure I'm holding two and they're in my ASM collection, but I've forgotten which exactly they are and I'll be damned if I'm removing them all from the bags to find out.

I was thinking a micrometer or some digital scales that weight to a hundredth of a gram? But then I thought about the bags and boards which are not all the same. And the fact not all comics are cut the same.... Does anyone know what a cover actually weighs or how thick it is (not me the cover, silly) :) 

Not sure how extensive your ASM collection is but this might an ideal time to re-bag/re-board your collection. You might want to start in the area where you think the double covers might be first in case you don't feel like going through the whole set all at once just to find the double covers.

One thing I have tried doing is re-bagging my silver age books and favorite titles AND also going through the extra effort of scanning front and back. It is a slow process but if you just do a little at a time, it is awesome to have the exact image of your books easily accessible on the old computer. I also sometimes set my desktop screen saver to the directories with those images (I keep the back covers in a separate directory) -- which makes a pretty cool way to admire your books.

Edited by 01TheDude

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
24 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Something wrong with the interior of the book? I feel dumb now (: but this is a learning process right? 

Ya the grading contest isn't a perfect science...due to not seeing the insides but it'll do lol

anything on the interior of the comic that might impact the grade of the books is typically noted when the books are presented-- like a loose center wrap for example -- or anything indicated in the graders notes about the interior.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, Shark said:

I only lost by 5 points (Blowie entered my 1st guess incorrectly) so I don't feel too bad about not advancing.  But I blew the grade on the double cover Rudolph (guessed 4.0).  So did you guys grade it that low because of the top of the spine?  I couldn't tell whether the inner cover was split or not.

Go get 'em letsgrumble!

I have some tough competition this round! :sick:

39 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Not sure how extensive your ASM collection is but this might an ideal time to re-bag/re-board your collection. You might want to start in the area where you think the double covers might be first in case you don't feel like going through the whole set all at once just to find the double covers.

One thing I have tried doing is re-bagging my silver age books and favorite titles AND also going through the extra effort of scanning front and back. It is a slow process but if you just do a little at a time, it is awesome to have the exact image of your books easily accessible on the old computer. I also sometimes set my desktop screen saver to the directories with those images (I keep the back covers in a separate directory) -- which makes a pretty cool way to admire your books.

Great advice, thanks. I have actually started the lonnng task of scanning them all, any book in mylar was scanned directly without removal though. I reckon I'm about a third of the way through, maybe half. Should have removed them and done front and back with a quick check for a double. I think I'll do that from now on, cheers.

I can honestly say, I've probably owned 15K comics in my life and never once seen a double cover. I'm sure they pop up once in a blue moon, but IMO time searching through a collection hoping to randomly find one would not be time well spent.  2c

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

I can honestly say, I've probably owned 15K comics in my life and never once seen a double cover. I'm sure they pop up once in a blue moon, but IMO time searching through a collection hoping to randomly find one would not be time well spent.  2c

I haven't had anywhere near that many but never even held one in my hand-- Heck -- I didn't know they were a thing until I came to this forum (along with so many other things). This place is so great to learn about the hobby if you spend most of your time reading instead of posting. 

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

I know for sure that I have two. I've just forgotten which two exactly.

I got in a run of X-Men #18 to #114 the other week and as I was re-bagging them and giving them a once over I was hoping to see a double cover, but no. They are definitely rare. None in 15,000 highlights just how rare! I have around 3,000-3,500 and just two so I'll probably never see another again unless I go out of my way to hunt for them specifically. The two I got came in randomly and were not advertised as double covers.

I remember seeing a quad cover book, don't ask me which one! I wonder what the record is? Five? Six? A full book of covers only?! lol