• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 1-26 thread ... share & discuss
2 2

218 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Mike's Amazing World has the newsstand date of Detective #26 as March 21st, Adventure #37 as March 23rd, Action #12 April 4th and Detective #27 as April 18th 1939. So, Detective #26 is the first MENTION of The Batman in writing and Action #12 is the first published PICTURE of The Batman.

Well, I guess I must be showing my age :preach: as I can still remember back in the day when Action 12 was still lumped in with the rest of the surrounding non-Supes cover in terms of valuations in the Overstreet guide.  :whatthe:

Although this is definitely not the case any more, it is clear that this particular issue in grade must be locked away by vintage collectors in their private collection with the key thrown away, as the highest graded copies to come to market so far to date (based upon both the HA and CC auction archives) after some 20 years of certification is still only in the CGC 2.5 G+ condition range.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I am sure this first published pictured appearance of The Batman has something to do with this, along with the colorful Zatara cover by Guardineer.  :cloud9:

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess I must be showing my age :preach: as I can still remember back in the day when Action 12 was still lumped in with the rest of the surrounding non-Supes cover in terms of valuations in the Overstreet guide.  :whatthe:

Although this is definitely not the case any more, it is clear that this particular issue in grade must be locked away by vintage collectors in their private collection with the key thrown away, as the highest graded copies to come to market so far to date (based upon both the HA and CC auction archives) after some 20 years of certification is still only in the CGC 2.5 G+ condition range.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I am sure this first published pictured appearance of The Batman has something to do with this, along with the colorful Zatara cover by Guardineer.  :cloud9:

While both of those auction archives are very valuable and I check them for data as well, they aren't the entire market. Our own Mr. Bedrock has a copy in Universal 8.5 that I believe he acquired within the last 5 years or so, so other copies do circulate without their sale being recorded. It's a tough book above 6.0, no doubt, but I have seen enough lower grade copies to know that it IS available with regularity. 

7 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:
15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although this is definitely not the case any more, it is clear that this particular issue in grade must be locked away by vintage collectors in their private collection with the key thrown away, 

It's a tough book above 6.0, no doubt, but I have seen enough lower grade copies to know that it IS available with regularity. 

Fully agree with you and the reason why I said the copies in grade are much more difficult to come across in the open marketplace.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

GPA shows a 6.5 sold this January, a 6.0 sold this May and a 3.5 this April (not to mention a 9.8 - oh, wait, that's a 2013 modern renumbering issue that somehow got thrown in with the old books . . . ) - but no sales for quite a while before that.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 8:54 PM, lou_fine said:

There are a few Mint copy's 2nd to bottom (shrug)858610230_Tec27pic-1.thumb.jpg.de0707d69dd7676ba77bc29fdf6fcb38.jpg^^

12 hours ago, Qua-Brot said:

GPA shows a 6.5 sold this January, a 6.0 sold this May and a 3.5 this April (not to mention a 9.8 - oh, wait, that's a 2013 modern renumbering issue that somehow got thrown in with the old books . . . ) - but no sales for quite a while before that.

Often times, copies of seldom seen, very desirable books change hands privately and no record of the sale is made public. I know that I have some friends that tend to scoop up any exceptional books that I decide to part with, so that they never hit the market. 

15 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

When are the new price guides available at our LCS so I can get updated in Tec 1-26 ? ( see what I did there ). 

Per a Scoop newsletter a few weeks ago, the release date for this year's editions of the Overstreet Price Guide has been moved from July 22nd to September 2nd.  :gossip:

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Per a Scoop newsletter a few weeks ago, the release date for this year's editions of the Overstreet Price Guide has been moved from July 22nd to September 2nd.  :gossip:

Thanks Lou !  Dayum !!!