• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Examples of where you bought the book, not the label
3 3

41 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

At a 7-11 about 2 miles from my house. I would go on monthly collections for my paper routes and with the money I earned, I would continue on to the store on my bike (especially tricky to do during the winter months in the south suburbs of Chicago). I probably did this for about 2 or 3 years (1976-1978). Finding that comic book rack was a great day-- and it was the closest 7-11 in my area.

Wow man.... sounds like good times for sure! 7-11, talk about a relic of the past that's now turned into CVS xD! Also paper routes are a relic since I don't know who reads newspapers regularly anymore? Yeah those times were pretty tight with all that hyper inflation going on! Comics went from 25 to 30 cents which probably made a difference to a kid back then. Curious did you ever fire up a joint or two back in the day?

Edit: my bad, CVS was Eckerd drugs back in the day not  7-11. 

Edited by MGsimba77

This one I bought for the book and then subbed it to CGC, but kinda for the label because I wanted to see blue universal with the correct notation.... not so much the grade though.... if that is the point of the thread :shy:

Canadian Mark Jeweler's

20190213_170010.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
"and then subbed it to CGC"

On 3/26/2019 at 7:17 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I don’t know if this counts but here is one of mine.  The spine is a little blown out, but the colors and lack of Marvel chipping definitely raise the eye appeal I believe.  Now, I don’t really disagree with the grade, but I try to stay around the good/good+ range.  

ECB64479-1594-42BE-BB5F-94BB856F5F43.jpeg

That book is a winner no matter how you slice it! Then again, I'm most a low grade guy myself. Love it!

21 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Nice date stamp!!! Love those! Looks like a bright copy! One particular pet peeve is when they're overwrapped in silver & bronze. In other words when the price tag is too close to the spine or in some cases kind of half visible. Those are maddening :pullhair:

You mean like this...from the ARVEL OMICS ROUP.

ff 48_edited.jpg

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This one I bought for the book, but kinda for the label because I wanted to see blue universal with the correct notation.... not so much the grade though.... if that is the point of the thread :shy:

Canadian Mark Jeweler's

20190213_170010.jpg

Contains one of my favorite splashes. :luhv:

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

0218359002_1200.jpg

Lmfao why!?

2007, when the return of Valiant was coming, it's X-O Manowar rising from dead/buried. It "encapsulates" (see what I did there) the return of Valiant. :grin:

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This one I bought for the book and then subbed it to CGC, but kinda for the label because I wanted to see blue universal with the correct notation.... not so much the grade though.... if that is the point of the thread :shy:

Canadian Mark Jeweler's

20190213_170010.jpg

That's interesting, the Captain America head next to the price box. Is this issue NOT approved by the comics code authority?

3 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

Canadian Mark Jeweler's

20190213_170010.jpg

That's interesting, the Captain America head next to the price box. Is this issue NOT approved by the comics code authority?

I'm not sure.... I want to say the CC stamp was on other copies... there is some difference... I forget what :eek:

it was discussed somewhat in this thread

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
18 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

Canadian Mark Jeweler's

20190213_170010.jpg

I'm not sure.... I want to say the CC stamp was on other copies... there is some difference... I forget what :eek:

it was discussed somewhat in this thread

Direct versions don't, newsstand versions do.  Except 231, which adds another cool factor to the book I'd say ....I had a look at the other Marvel releases from that month to see if it was a cross title theme but no, just DD. Edited February 15 by sk.rank

Here it is :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/26/2019 at 12:51 PM, 01TheDude said:

This common saying around here about the importance of the look of a book can be fascinating to me.

Please share cases (hopefully with pictures of the slabbed books) where you ignored the grade the book received and bought it anyway. Perhaps it was being sold at a bargain-- share if that factored in. I'm sure we have plenty of people with examples where this was the case.

I am quite sure if you posted this same question in the GA threads, you will get an endless slew of examples from board members here who have definitely brought the book without paying much attention (if any at all) to the label.

Especially in the case of classic cover or HTF rare books.  Just go back to the just completed CC Auction and you can see countless examples of uber low grade books or even PLOD books selling for multiples of their condition guide prices.

For example, take a look at the CGC 0.5 graded copy of Mask Comics #1 with a bottom of guide Good 2.0 valuation of only $400 but still managed to fetch something like $2,260 in the last CL auction. :whatthe:

Now, I am quite sure the purchaser brought the book at that price for the actual book itself, as opposed to the number on the label.  (thumbsu