• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 1000 - 80 different variant covers!?!
1 1

107 posts in this topic

Just now, comics4all said:

You are right no one cared about the Action 1000s but People are paying more $ only for the artist exclusive covers not for the TEC 1000 decades one that action 1000 had.

Some of these you could only order from the artists' websites, some only from the exclusive comic stores

But that's exactly the same with the Action 1000 issues (being artist/store exclusives).  I think the difference is that Batman is a bigger character and that the community seems to connect more with some of these variants (Artgerm Golden Age, Alex Ross).  Frankly, considering Batman 50 was released not too long ago and had a number of exclusives as well, I'm surprised people aren't burnt out by Batman covers.

Is it more than Alex Ross' variants?

I guess if he was commissioned to do an AC1000 cover - that could've blown up, too. He didn't, though, so we don't have him as a reference point.

Everyone screwed the pooch by not having Ross do a single variant for AC1000 IMO.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

But that's exactly the same with the Action 1000 issues (being artist/store exclusives).  I think the difference is that Batman is a bigger character and that the community seems to connect more with some of these variants (Artgerm Golden Age, Alex Ross).  Frankly, considering Batman 50 was released not too long ago and had a number of exclusives as well, I'm surprised people aren't burnt out by Batman covers.

I didn't know there were exclusives for action 1K?

I guess you are right! It must be because of Batman because the way I heard about the TEC 1k variants were thru the comics news websites & I don't remember such hpe for them!

unless I am just getting :preach::roflmao:

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

I didn't know there were exclusives for action 1K?

I guess you are right! It must be because of Batman because the way I heard about the TEC 1k variants were thru the comics news websites & I don't remember such hpe for them!

unless I am just getting :preach::roflmao:

About 50 total covers:

Action Comics #1000 Complete Cover Checklist

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Is it more than Alex Ross' variants?

I guess if he was commissioned to do an AC1000 cover - that could've blown up, too. He didn't, though, so we don't have him as a reference point.

Everyone screwed the pooch by not having Ross do a single variant for AC1000 IMO.

This! That was one of the reasons I didn't think there were exclusives because why not have AR do a recreation of AC 1?

that's a cash grab!!!

4 minutes ago, comics4all said:

yeah the only 1 I ever saw now that I looked @ the list you sent me (besides the decades) was the artgerm one!

That is nice & I like the Dellotto too

Come to think of it, I got burned by the Torpedo Comics/Midtown Comics Jim Lee Convention Exclusive.  Probably why I ignored all the 'Tec 1000 variants.

1 hour ago, talesof... said:

oh. you again.I had a feeling you'd be back. im not surprised. so what makes it "new" the top part that says detective comics? that part looks like the same font as the one with Harley catwoman and poison ivy. it is recycled artwork. the only part of it missing is the blue part on top. That blue part is covered up by the detective comics font. Here look. but im sure you still wont be convinced so rather than type to you ill just send a link for you and those to look at and judge for themselves. You however, cant be wrong so I have no doubts you will still see what you want even if you are wrong. I think you see that im new and im going to be easy pickings. you will find that to be untrue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Fleer-Skybox-DC-Comics-Kingdom-Come-Xtra-Classics-Insert-Card-Set-Alex-Ross/163624905709?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

They are two separate paintings he did.  Here’s a zoom of just one section.

984CEEB8-D6C4-4608-9D5B-1E7A2419FC84.jpeg

20 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Come to think of it, I got burned by the Torpedo Comics/Midtown Comics Jim Lee Convention Exclusive.  Probably why I ignored all the 'Tec 1000 variants.

What happened? How did you get burnt?

36 minutes ago, comics4all said:

What happened? How did you get burnt?

Inexperienced newb bought a variant cover as the price was still fluctuating.  Midtown kept releasing quantities in drips so it would "sell out" only to have fresh stock a day or two later.  Rinse and repeat.  Initial batch was on sale for like $80.  Then the second batch that they "found" was on sale for like $150 (which is what the aftermarket price was).  Then third batch was $120, then $100.  I felt cheated that they kept "finding" new stock and undercutting the after market price.  Honestly, if you have books in stock, the moral thing to do would be to sell them at your initial MSRP instead of holding on to copies to sell at an after market rate.  Since then, I've sworn off Midtown because the behavior seems shady.

(EDIT: and now the book is effectively selling at the initial $80 price.  basically I learned I suck at speculating so now I'm back to buying books to read or books i actually care to collect...like the established books in the market...the FF48's and Tec880s of the world)

Edited by ExNihilo

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

How did you get burned by it? I ended up selling 1 vf copy and got my money back for the 3 I bought

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Inexperienced newb bought a variant cover as the price was still fluctuating.  Midtown kept releasing quantities in drips so it would "sell out" only to have fresh stock a day or two later.  Rinse and repeat.  Initial batch was on sale for like $80.  Then the second batch that they "found" was on sale for like $150 (which is what the aftermarket price was).  Then third batch was $120, then $100.  I felt cheated that they kept "finding" new stock and undercutting the after market price.  Honestly, if you have books in stock, the moral thing to do would be to sell them at your initial MSRP instead of holding on to copies to sell at an after market rate.  Since then, I've sworn off Midtown because the behavior seems shady.

(EDIT: and now the book is effectively selling at the initial $80 price.  basically I learned I suck at speculating so now I'm back to buying books to read or books i actually care to collect...like the established books in the market...the FF48's and Tec880s of the world)

Oh ok,  I bought them around 20 or 30 bucks ...I see 

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Just offload them if rogar zaar shows the movies.. that is still the first appearance and only cover of him. It's also a pretty nice drawing

17 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

got it. I am going thru a similar thing with TEC 1000!

I have a few AE's that have sold out & wondering if I should just wait & see if more show up?

Some of these exclusives go down in value within a few months!

I did some speculating last year, it sucks!

8 hours ago, Oddball said:

But if you want to talk recycled, Frank Miller was asked for a cover and pulled up a commission he did a couple of years back and submitted that.

haha ol franky. it doesn't surprise me. I was feeling like garbage for paying double for the alex ross variant but now I don't feel so bad compared to what other people are paying. im elated its an original piece. the zoom on ebay without focus really didn't help. sigh of relief.

Edited by talesof...
i forgot you cant say see our a pee.