• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After 6 years, I think I'm going to do it again.

13 posts in this topic

As a child of the 70's and a horror fan, putting together the Marvel horror runs was great fun. They where my favorite comics as a kid and always seemed to miss them. I had my ASM, FF and Hulk books that I kept collecting through the years, but never got over selling my Werewolf by night full run as a teenager. So, I started in 97 putting the run together (Werewolf by Night including the Spotlights, Tomb of Dracula, Ghost Rider including the Spotlights, Man-Thing including the Fears, and the Monster of Frankenstein). It's what really hooked me on the man called Ploog's artwork, and he remains my favorite to this day. I was thumbing through the runs the other day, and the fact that there were some not so great grades amoung them got me thinking-cull them out, or do the runs again completely with an eye for higher grades, and then cull out between the two complete runs? So, I'm gonna do it again with the end result being a personel entire Marvel Horror run in pretty HG. I'm looking forward to it-again.Peace CC.

Good luck! After reading the title, I thought you were talking about moving to the Outer Banks or something and building another home wink.gif

yeah me too. You just moved to Wilmington...right?

Currin--if you plan on buying CGC, the prices have gone up considerably since I've started collecting again back in 2001. Buying raw is hit and miss, but as some other board members attest to (over and again) there are some good deals out there. You also have the benefit that Marvels were more collected than DC horror, so you won't be taking years to fulfill the quest (barring personal budget of course)

Good luck...

You also have the benefit that Marvels were more collected than DC horror, so you won't be taking years to fulfill the quest (barring personal budget of course)

Very true...raw HG Marvel horror is not the most common for a Marvelite but can pretty easily be found, at pretty cheap prices, given a little searching...

Of course, this could change if they become noticed like DC horror did a couple of years ago. Then the raw copies become much more difficult...

Jim

You also have the benefit that Marvels were more collected than DC horror, so you won't be taking years to fulfill the quest (barring personal budget of course)

Very true...raw HG Marvel horror is not the most common for a Marvelite but can pretty easily be found, at pretty cheap prices, given a little searching...

Of course, this could change if they become noticed like DC horror did a couple of years ago. Then the raw copies become much more difficult...

Jim

Not meant as a knock in any way to Currin's quest (good luck!), but I don't think there's much danger that Marvel horror will catch the same fire that the DC stuff has caught....it's just generally not the same sort of stuff, so I don't see all that much crossover there. Most of the more "DCish" Marvel horror books are mostly old Atlas reprints, anyhow.

Not meant as a knock in any way to Currin's quest (good luck!), but I don't think there's much danger that Marvel horror will catch the same fire that the DC stuff has caught....it's just generally not the same sort of stuff, so I don't see all that much crossover there. Most of the more "DCish" Marvel horror books are mostly old Atlas reprints, anyhow.

I agree...Crypt of Shadows, Vault of Evil, Chamber of Chills etc... Chamber of Darkness has more cred than some of the other titles, and TOD and WBN has really gotten hot...I could've easily snagged 9.4/9.6 CGC copies for under $50 a couple of years ago...no more. It's almost doubled in recent years.

All of these titles are still very affordable in the 9.0 range, which is a sweet spot for many...