• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL QUESTION ADDED - Opinions on suspending the "exclusivity" rule during the VCC (Virtual Comic Convention)
4 4

Suspend selling guideline rule #4 (the "exclusive board-only offer") for the VCC (Virtual Comic Convention)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. This proposal would allow sellers to offer items for sale during the weekends of the VCC that are also for sale on other venues (ex. ebay, facebook, and other websites) without having to worry about it being an exclusive board-only offer.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Whether you voted yes or no, would you be willing to accept a trial run for the rule suspension for the 2 remaining VCCs in 2019?

• Yes
    • No

115 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If I could have listed the book on eBay for $1200 and the book here for $1050 I would have. The board rules tell me that I cannot.  I shrug.  Therefore I will list it at the venue that offers the most exposure.

So if we get the rule overturned, you'll post your $1200 ebay book here for $1050?

Anyone that follows the drivel that comes out of my mouth knows that prior to the last couple of weeks I have never made mention of my dislike for this rule.

You don't talk drivel Buzz! 

Poppycock maybe...hm

At the end of the day this is not my sandbox so I will happily abide by the board rules.  However, that does not give me reason or an incentive to participate in certain things. 

Which is why we're exploring changing them. Keep up Buzz :baiting:

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So don't 'keep the fees'. Make the unique selling point here that the book is cheaper than its ebay listing counterpart

I do but many others do not. I have two sales threads going now and priced books by looking at ebay sold listings and then going under those prices.

15 minutes ago, Bird said:

I do but many others do not. I have two sales threads going now and priced books by looking at ebay sold listings and then going under those prices.

Good man. Success should come your way then, if there's justice in the Universe :wishluck:

(Any pence copies?)

Just for the record, what I proposed will not eliminate the exclusivity rule for all sales across all areas of the forum for all of time. It will be an exclusive benefit for those that are willing to set-up a booth during the weekends of the VCC, which is literally 3 weekends a year.... 34 hours 3 times per year.

This may make the VCC no better than anywhere else, but, imo, it makes the VCC unique within the confines of these chat boards. I can see where some sellers may actually look forward to being able to sell during the VCC because of this rule change.

I look at it as not closing a door, because those who do not wish to sell in multiple venues (because it's a PITA or whatever reason) surely do not have to, but instead it opens a door for others who would if not for the exclusivity rule.
I look at this as a good thing, because the more sellers that there are for the VCC, the more exposure everyone who sets up receives. 

I also advertise, to the best of my ability, all VCC events. I email, I tweet, I facebook (often with paid promotions), I post ads and links on other forums, and I do my very best to get the word out to every board member here that I can. Whether or not is does any good, that is unknown, but this is a benefit that the regular sales forum does not receive and in my mind a definite plus that sellers receive for their VCC participation.

Edited by DeadOne

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So if we get the rule overturned, you'll post your $1200 ebay book here for $1050?

I have things like before MANY times.  Say I upgrade a book, this is the FIRST place I go to list the undercopy. If it does not sell at the price I want for it after a few days, I close the thread here and then I list it on eBay for much more. If I could keep it advertised in both places I would do so.   MyComicShop does this already.  A book on their site is cheaper than the price they offer the book for on eBay.

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Which is why we're exploring changing them. Keep up Buzz :baiting:

I don't think that is a good idea for me to be the one to keep advocating this change because then it might be viewed by the mods as a contentious thread that is being discussed by a few as an argument.  Meanwhile, I know I do not see it that way. I am pretty sure that Bird and you do not see it that way. It is a discussion.  However given how sometimes things get a little trigger happy here, I do not feel like drawing attention to me.  The attention should be on the discussion.  I am pretty sure that I have said all I have to say and all I can say on the subject.  If anything new arises that warrants a reply I will chime in. 

I don't think that is a good idea for me to be the one to keep advocating this change because then it might be viewed by the mods as a contentious thread that is being discussed by a few as an argument.  Meanwhile, I know I do not see it that way. I am pretty sure that Bird and you do not see it that way

Ah, right, I wasn't aware of that Buzz.  I'll 'withdraw' too then :foryou:

54 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I have things like before MANY times.  Say I upgrade a book, this is the FIRST place I go to list the undercopy. If it does not sell at the price I want for it after a few days, I close the thread here and then I list it on eBay for much more. If I could keep it advertised in both places I would do so.   MyComicShop does this already.  A book on their site is cheaper than the price they offer the book for on eBay.

I don't think that is a good idea for me to be the one to keep advocating this change because then it might be viewed by the mods as a contentious thread that is being discussed by a few as an argument.  Meanwhile, I know I do not see it that way. I am pretty sure that Bird and you do not see it that way. It is a discussion.  However given how sometimes things get a little trigger happy here, I do not feel like drawing attention to me.  The attention should be on the discussion.  I am pretty sure that I have said all I have to say and all I can say on the subject.  If anything new arises that warrants a reply I will chime in. 

There is this book..."If you give a Mouse a Cookie"

Instead of a glass of milk...

He/She will want it in the regular forum;) 

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

There is this book..."If you give a Mouse a Cookie"

Instead of a glass of milk...

He/She will want it in the regular forum;) 

I am very familiar with it.  However I do not believe this to be true.  I have zero interest in the event due solely to the exclusivity rule. 

The VCC forces it's attendees to hold off selling their items for the sake of a weekend sale or to remove them from someplace else.  The regular forum could maintain it sense of exclusivity because postings there are centered at the author's convenience.   They can post before they list things elsewhere or they can post it in between relistings on eBay or craigslist. 

Maybe it is just time to let something like the VCC die. 

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Maybe it is just time to let something like the VCC die.

Jinkies!

Just because you no longer have any use for it, it should die? I have enjoyed the last two years of the VCC more than any prior. I have my act together more now and am pretty organized for keeping straight what is listed, where it is listed, and what is not listed. I have also made quite a few trades at end of show. No one is asking anyone to hold things for the VCC or to take things down from other places, those are some people's interpretation of the way the rules apply to them. But for others the VCC is a prompt to maybe get a few things together and see what happens.

Then again, I try to look at the positives in life and the challenges it brings. So I see the positives where others see only negatives.

18 hours ago, sckao said:

Some Historical Context:

The VCC would be effectively dead if @DeadOne hadn’t taken it over so he’s to be commended for keeping the spirit and the actual event alive. :applause: (And all of you who still participate.)

The original intent of the VCC when we first started it was to give everyone an even footing to go after the great books the board members had for sale. People had no idea when certain board members would put up a sales thread and their books would sell pretty much instantly. People in different time Zones would also be at a disadvantage. So we started it with a set time to start. A Set Place to have everyone’s “booth” together in one location. An Index to let people know where everyone was... And as much external advertisement as we could do realistically.

Everything was fair... Booths were grabbed on a first come, first serve basis. (Although Flying Donut and I got first page placement if we wanted it... :baiting:)

The VCC was an attempt to even the playing field and bring everyone together.

It’s changed over the years but in its early days, it had SideShows, Exhibits, Charity Auctions, etc.

Everything changes. Evolve or die. (thumbsu

Although he never brags (but should) Sckao (Shin) was the person who really organized, started and ran the VCC, so he's the person who knows. I think things started to die down a bit when a few of the "bigger fish" type people figured out that the sales forum was a little more empty during the VCC times and they'd get a better audience there and they started moving over.

If you are trying to let people have an equal chance at buying, you need to have the sellers. Most sellers don't care if one or two people grab most things.

Something to think about while you are evolving.

Maybe some kind of community day in the sales forum itself? 10% of each purchase goes to a charity, or we could do prizes..? My thought it just that it seems that room is much more visible than this one?

47 minutes ago, Bird said:

Jinkies!

Just because you no longer have any use for it, it should die? I have enjoyed the last two years of the VCC more than any prior. I have my act together more now and am pretty organized for keeping straight what is listed, where it is listed, and what is not listed. I have also made quite a few trades at end of show. No one is asking anyone to hold things for the VCC or to take things down from other places, those are some people's interpretation of the way the rules apply to them. But for others the VCC is a prompt to maybe get a few things together and see what happens.

Then again, I try to look at the positives in life and the challenges it brings. So I see the positives where others see only negatives.

I get what you are talking about. The idea of VCC here is like any comic con around here, just that it is only in Internet. I have brought a few books or had browse through in there. Haven’t brought any from the last few VCCs since, as far I can recall.

I suspect that a lot of buyers here like the sales threads more ...because of the thrill rush in throwing out our old friend :takeit: on the second a new book pop up. 

My initial vote was against the proposal for simple reasons of things getting out of hand - sales of certain items occurring at close to the same time and the trouble that might create. I guess if the sellers can handle that type of potential issue-- then sure, let them have the exemption from the rule for the brief time that the VCC is running. If anything, it would allow more books to be listed and at better prices than available elsewhere. Need to change my vote to yes.....

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Jinkies!

That definitely came across as harsh on my end.  It was more of a response to the competition in the normal sales threads and the lack of participation and especially to the comment of evolve or die. 

You are right though, there far better ways I could have represented myself if even necessary to begin with.  I didn't have to say that and I probably shouldn't have.  It was wrong of me to say that especially in the way I did. 

Edited by Buzzetta

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That definitely came across as harsh on my end.  It was more of a response to the competition in the normal sales threads and the lack of participation and especially to the comment of evolve or die. 

You are right though, there far better ways I could have represented myself if even necessary to begin with.  I didn't have to say that and I probably shouldn't have.  It was wrong of me to say that especially in the way I did. 

It is hard to comment without expressing emotion, emotion that people read when they see the posts. It is all good. I wanted to address your comment with my first sentence but the part about being negative was meant in general and to describe me, not you. So sorry if I was not clear and appeared to be attacking your attitude!

DeadOne can do whatever he wants, it is his ball now. There seems to be far more discussion that actual involvement so whatever happens will not really effect too many people. But even a small VCC distinguishes the boards and give it a little cache I think.

I think now that the idea has been fleshed out a little bit, some questions answered and concerns addressed, people who may have voted no may be more willing to give it a trial run.
If the voting stays relatively the same over the next week or so, I'll present it to the admins for a final say.

I've also added a second question to the poll asking members if they would be willing to give it a trial run for the next two VCCs in 2019 (Aug. and Dec,). 
I should have thought about that the first time around, so my apologies to all. Hopefully those who have already voted will find their way back and vote again.

***edit***
Well that sucks. It looks like those who have already voted cannot cast a vote for a question added after the fact. :cry:
Sorry everyone.
If you'd like, please post a yes or no  in the thread if you'd accept the idea of a trial run.

:sorry:

Edited by DeadOne

On 3/31/2019 at 1:51 PM, Buzzetta said:

Dirty truth.  I get more money for many items on eBay even though I am inflating the prices to astronomical levels compared to what I ask for them here.  In fact go through my more recent sales threads and I have a full disclaimer that says if it does not sell here then I will list it elsewhere for much more. 

Batman 52 comes to mind.  I listed that in a sales thread with other things awhile back.  I listed a 2.5 Copy with slightly brittle pages for around $950. I had a few offers but nowhere close to my ask.  I had it listed on CLink as well as eBay at the same time and the highest offer I had was $585 I believe.  I listed it on eBay for $1200 and it sold there last month.  Even with fees that is $1080 for that book.

I did the same with one of my ASM 31 undercopies. 

So the fees?  That doesn't bother me at all. I just raise the prices to compensate so I get what I want out of a book.  The danger is giving me a compelling reason to do that.  Because you know what just happened? I just raised the GPA value of that book.  Another boardie actually sent me a text message to thank me for that sale as it further justified his own increased price. 

If anything VCC buyers are definitely not benefitting because if I have more leeway in selling a book elsewhere I will.  I will just raise the price. That will just make it MORE expensive for the next person that wants to buy a copy because everyone else is going to point to my sold copy as the new benchmark.

I have had more negative experiences selling on the boards than on eBay, particularly the last couple of years.