• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's SHAZAM 2 starring Zackary Levi (4/1/22)
1 1

696 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, Gatsby77 said:

To be fair, there have been other worse 2nd weekend drops.

Shazam 2's drop of 67.8% isn't as bad as:

• Elektra (-69%)
  • Batman v. Superman (-69.1%)
  • Jonah Hex (-69.7%)
  • The Suicide Squad (-71.5%)
  • Steel (-78%)

actual # -69%, so close

image.png.a9f2bcfd2f41c0e5632a49c729c01fdb.png

Edited by paperheart

I got 15 minutes into this movie and stopped watching it. Did not like what I got to see which was:

1. Shazam in a doctor's office. He is talking like the dr is a psychiatrist but he is actually a pediatrician (is that supposed to be clever?). The entire scene could be deleted and you lose nothing and it is only there to try to add a laugh and it fails miserably

2. the 2 bad people of the film go to a museum to steal a staff. The employee of the museum is this over the top very flamboyant cringe type.

I just do not like the Shazam character, he is a goofball. I really was hoping to see a more serious take like the way the character was in Kingdom Come.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:41 PM, Artboy99 said:

I really was hoping to see a more serious take like the way the character was in Kingdom Come.

Kingdom Come Shazam would have been awesome, however this film bombed so hard I think we have seen the last of the Shazam character on the big screen.

Which is too bad, I enjoy the character/concept of Shazam, just seems to me that in both this film and the first (I'll forgive the first one because it was an origin story) they seem to have forgotten about the whole "Wisdom of Solomon" thing and just made him a big goof.

Edited by media_junkie

On 3/27/2023 at 7:41 PM, Artboy99 said:

I just do not like the Shazam character, he is a goofball. I really was hoping to see a more serious take like the way the character was in Kingdom Come.

I don't recall Shazam being this dumb in the New 52, which is what this iteration is supposed to be based off of.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:37 AM, Axelrod said:

This film was a hot mess.  

Like, it was really badly written/plotted.  People don't think this stuff matters (I guess because sometimes with big tentpole summer releases it actually doesn't), but that is why this film is tanking.

Full stop.

They had the budget.  They had the cast.  The actors were fine.  Individual moments were fine.  But it seems they put very little thought into the story they actually wanted to tell.  It really does insult the audience's intelligence. 

And, again, I guess they've (studios) gotten away with doing that for so long they don't even consider trying to make the story better before rolling the camera.  Because they don't think they have to?  It's scary to think that multiple people looked at this before they started and thought "Yes!  This is what we want to go with!"  

and they shelled out millions of dollars to make it. 

On 3/28/2023 at 6:37 AM, Axelrod said:

This film was a hot mess.  

Like, it was really badly written/plotted.  People don't think this stuff matters (I guess because sometimes with big tentpole summer releases it actually doesn't), but that is why this film is tanking.

Full stop.

They had the budget.  They had the cast.  The actors were fine.  Individual moments were fine.  But it seems they put very little thought into the story they actually wanted to tell.  It really does insult the audience's intelligence. 

And, again, I guess they've (studios) gotten away with doing that for so long they don't even consider trying to make the story better before rolling the camera.  Because they don't think they have to?  It's scary to think that multiple people looked at this before they started and thought "Yes!  This is what we want to go with!"  

The reason they keep making these bad films, and will never stop, is because so many people go see them regardless of how sh*tty the last one was. Why should they care about making them good? You'll don't seem to care, at least when it comes to your wallet.

And that right there is your true FULL STOP.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:13 PM, NoMan said:

The reason they keep making these bad films, and will never stop, is because so many people go see them regardless of how sh*tty the last one was. Why should they care about making them good? You'll don't seem to care, at least when it comes to your wallet.

And that right there is your true FULL STOP.

I mean, it's a fair point.  I actually don't care and will see just about anything.  Or rather, I "care" in the sense that I do always hope it's going to be good.  But I still go, and I'm very capable of enjoying complete junk movies for what they are. Even this one.

That doesn't stop me recognizing what it is.  

Despite this, I am naively still amazed how dumb so many movies are, when it often would take so very little to improve them.  And I think it does (or at least can) impact the overall box office - despite the number of people like me who will see anything.  There are (apparently) many more who either care about reviews, or have to be choosy when it comes to their movie dollars.  Nothing wrong with that either.  

On 3/29/2023 at 10:19 PM, Axelrod said:

I mean, it's a fair point.  I actually don't care and will see just about anything.  Or rather, I "care" in the sense that I do always hope it's going to be good.  But I still go, and I'm very capable of enjoying complete junk movies for what they are. Even this one.

That doesn't stop me recognizing what it is.  

Despite this, I am naively still amazed how dumb so many movies are, when it often would take so very little to improve them.  And I think it does (or at least can) impact the overall box office - despite the number of people like me who will see anything.  There are (apparently) many more who either care about reviews, or have to be choosy when it comes to their movie dollars.  Nothing wrong with that either.  

I wonder sometimes when a movie ends up being poorly crafted or appears to have a weak story did it start out that way, or was it the studio/producers rushing things along to hit a release date. Especially with the editing process, where you would think all that filming is supposed to come together leading to the intended final package.

I think that may be where the worst decisions are made. Yet the entire crew and cast could get the blame undeservedly.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

I wonder sometimes when a movie ends up being poorly crafted or appears to have a weak story did it start out that way, or was it the studio/producers rushing things along to hit a release date. Especially with the editing process, where you would think all that filming is supposed to come together leading to the intended final package.

I think that may be where the worst decisions are made. Yet the entire crew and cast could get the blame undeservedly.

I think it goes both ways, but yeah the studio can really mess up a film.  Couple of examples that jump out at me are both "Kingdom of Heaven" and "BvS: Dawn of Justice".  What was released in theaters (we both awful films), however you go back and watch the directors cut and bam, really good movies and you have to wonder why that wasn't released?

And then you have just have bad films from the get go like "Gods of Egypt", where no amount of editing could make it a good movie.  I mean seriously the Egyptian god Set with a scottish accent as played by Gerad Butler?  Who thinks of this stuff.  LOL.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

Also, I think the modern idea that we can fix it in post is severly damaging movies, and getting away from the idea that you need a rock solid -script before you start filming.  A lot of films are now filming 3, 4 or 5 hours of footage with multiple pickups and extensive reshoots, and then handing all that to an editor and saying, make us a cohesive movie out of this. So now they are forced to cobble together something that was done from different versions of the -script, often shot months or more apart.

Yes, it can be done, but it really hard.  Thus, you get movies like Shazam, MoM, QM, etc.