• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's SHAZAM 2 starring Zackary Levi (4/1/22)
1 1

696 posts in this topic

Shazam had plenty of advertising.  I couldn't go 2 minutes without seeing a commercial for it on roku, TNT TBS,  and what few major network shows I watch.  It also had the marquee billboard on a famous major blvd where I live for weeks.  The movie bombed because it is a D list character that few people in the real world actually cared about.  The first one didn't make any money either and only made what it did because it was riding the super hero gravy train that was peaking at the time.  

I expect the spider-verse cartoon sequel to encounter similar headwinds as Shazam 2 for similar reasons.  Not coincidentally, the first ones came out the same year, had similar budgets, made a similar amount of under-whelming box office which certian industry shills and internet people tried desperately to paint as "successful", and had a better release dates with less competition, and at the same peak of hero movies that have since seemed to have worn out their welcome.  At the end of the day, both  of the movies were also delayed from original relase dates that most likely would have allowed them to make more money.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 3/21/2023 at 3:33 PM, eastriver400 said:

I’m not saying this is the reason Shazam 2 bombed. 

i am saying the Rock was  thinking about himself and himself only.

undisputable.

That was also a factor of Dwayne believing his own press releases that he is a bigger star than he really is.  He has never been a solo box office draw.  Never.  

-J.

There seems to be a good deal of argument and dissension re: Shazam The Motion Picture.

I'm from Hollywood and I know a great deal. What is your questions and concerns? I've worked with many celebrities including Martha Raye and too many others to mention. My resume is strong and my knowledge in film is deep. 

What is your question?

On 3/21/2023 at 6:58 PM, NoMan said:

There seems to be a good deal of argument and dissension re: Shazam The Motion Picture.

I'm from Hollywood and I know a great deal. What is your questions and concerns? I've worked with many celebrities including Martha Raye and too many others to mention. My resume is strong and my knowledge in film is deep. 

What is your question?

How were the lunch spreads? Which film served up the best meals?

On 3/17/2023 at 3:40 AM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Holy Moley! Oh. My. Gods. Whoa, this motion picture is INSANE!  Another classic true to form Captain Marvel Adventures story with The Marvel Family. Outstanding memorable performances from each cast member, intense visuals, loads of fun, mayhem, and funny as H-E-double-toothpicks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Executive Producer Peter Safran has the Irving Thalberg flair for the perfect story with a stellar cast of actors to produce a lavishly artful picture play.

Henry Gayden wrote the finest story arc since Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty's battle to the death falling into the Reichenbach Falls.

This movie is so gorgeous and colourfully filmed, New Line Cinema is the new '30s MGM of today's Hollywood studios and Director David F. Sandberg is bar none the Victor Fleming of our generation.  In Sandberg's own unique humour and filmmaker style, his one-upmanship of Alfred Hitchcock cameos is classic.

All the hard core Fawcett Captain Marvel subtext is once again meticulously woven throughout the film for joyous cheers and Michael Gray seals the deal once and for all on the legal arguments over Shazam's true name. :foryou:

It's been a long time since I left a movie theatre laughing at the jokes on the drive home. After three years of pandemic frustration, patient waiting to now immensly enjoying Shazam!! Fury of the Gods in IMAX, I have zero empathy for anyone with an axe to grind with their purposive approach in refusing to find this film as anything but wholesome entertainment for everyone who loves a grand night out at the cinema.  Faithe Herman as Darla Dudley says it best: "Taste the Rainbow you motherfu:censored:s!"  :D

1985243097_ShazamLondonPremiere.thumb.png.31e34ad8f7d75182b1252384de6992a9.png

1017099577_Shazam!!DCFilmsstudioart.thumb.jpeg.8b2a8030452e11a98faf942688d577b5.jpeg

All this news about the sequel needs to be painful for a true fan of the Shazam/Captain Marvel character.

:foryou:

I hate when a studio doesn't take the time to care for its own properties the way they deserve with marketing and world building.

Spoiler Alert!!

Saw a matinee showing of Fury of the Goddesses. Ive been so desperate to hear “Captain Marvel” uttered in a movie theater I decided to go see the off brand version today. Interesting who says it, but munch your popcorn too loud and you’ll miss it. If anyone is curious, our main hero’s official name is confirmed to be Shazam.

I’ll say in this movie, the Billy Batson Shazam finally gets to shine, since he couldn’t really in the first movie because his surprise Shazam Family steals his thunder. In this movie they can’t, so Billy gets to show us what he can do.

FOTG is definitely a sequel to the first, similar in tone and theme, which was a slight problem for me as the sequel again was this weird awkward mix of cute family dynamics and extreme horror. Even though the movie is about a family with young kids, I’m not sure this movie is for families with young kids. 

The story was run of the mill, spotlighting Freddy Freeman over any of the other kids. I think the movie could’ve taken a lesson from a good kids ensemble movie like Goonies and given our hero kids something to fight for collectively as a family, like the house or something. As it is, the movie’s main stories are Freddy’s awkward high school romance and the superhero mission, both which were a little uninteresting to me. The movie does pick up in the end when Billy’s Shazam takes over, which is who we paid to see, so whatever. It was a little hard for me to get invested with the rest of the Shazam Family because even as heroes they acted so juvenile, Mary excepted.

There are definite laughs in the movie, like Helen Mirren’s letter reading. The Shazam Family goofiness gets a little redundant, though. I mean, these actors aren’t Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson, Mark Ruffalo, and Taika Waititi. Just get with the story.

I can’t think of any plot holes that bothered me, though there were a few story elements that come out of nowhere and are unexplained, like a collapsing Philadelphia bridge or Pedro’s magical utensil. 

In the end, I thought the movie was okay in a “it is what it is” kind of way. Sometimes I did have a thought that Jack Dylan Grazer might’ve made a better Billy Batson than Asher Angel, as Grazer just looks and acts more like an underdog.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 3/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I really like Captain Marvel, but you're not wrong.

The hero is officially Shazam. Which begs the question, will Mary Marvel have to change her name to SHE-Zam?

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 3/22/2023 at 8:23 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The hero is officially Shazam. Which begs the question, will Mary Marvel have to change her name to SHE-Zam?

No. The She-Marvel. It's a hot trend.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:18 AM, Bosco685 said:

No. The She-Marvel. It's a hot trend.

Ha ha funny,  except FOTG confirms the name is Shazam. It’s a losing battle for DC to try to hold on to the Marvel name by any degree. Marvel Comics owns it. It’s confusing to fans, especially newer ones, to try to switch back and forth. If the branding is Shazam, if it says Shazam on the comic cover or movie poster, it’s a better business and creative decision to wholly embrace that name for the character. Polling says comic book culture audiences like their content simple. 

On 3/22/2023 at 9:58 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Ha ha funny,  except FOTG confirms the name is Shazam. It’s a losing battle for DC to try to hold on to the Marvel name by any degree. Marvel Comics owns it. It’s confusing to fans, especially newer ones, to try to switch back and forth. If the branding is Shazam, if it says Shazam on the comic cover or movie poster, it’s a better business and creative decision to wholly embrace that name for the character. Polling says comic book culture audiences like their content simple. 

The character's name is Mary Bromfield, and is known to be Mary Marvel. Though never stated as such in the movies.

Even in the Young Justice series, a very popular show, Mary Marvel appears in Season Four.

So Mary Shazam (no matter your attempt at humor to counter M-She-U) doesn't fit the narrative.

Edited by Bosco685