• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snipe bidding on Ebay,your opinion?
2 2

156 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

What he really means is he isn't seeing these types of lots moving for guide because he doesn't want to sell for what they will actually sell for, which is generally well below guide because OSPG is out of touch with reality when it comes to online selling. Of course stuff moves on ebay, even really drekky stuff, as long as you are willing to price it so it will move.

Youre not moving books at guide prices period, regardless if theyre single books or lots

unless youre chuck rozanski or MCS

When youre selling a single book you dont have to be smart to know how to move it... Just price it at your comfortable level and describe it 

When youre selling a lot, marketing and visuals come into play... know what to sell, how to package it, how to take pics

Its a whole diff ball game

I had to laugh at the selling for guide comment.  I use to sell for half guide and now it seems like 1/3 to quarter guide is even a stretch on non key mid grade books.  

I’d really rather go do something else then sell books on Instagram of Facebook.  

Im curious how you would market and describe a lot on e-bay to get the results you are describing.  Deciding what sells is pretty much a ebay search away but being able to take special pics eludes me.  Are you talking about making it look like a lot may include keys by showing a stack and only showing a few corners which could trick people into grabbing a stack hoping for a score?

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I had to laugh at the selling for guide comment.  I use to sell for half guide and now it seems like 1/3 to quarter guide is even a stretch on non key mid grade books.  

I’d really rather go do something else then sell books on Instagram of Facebook.  

Im curious how you would market and describe a lot on e-bay to get the results you are describing.  Deciding what sells is pretty much a ebay search away but being able to take special pics eludes me.  Are you talking about making it look like a lot may include keys by showing a stack and only showing a few corners which could trick people into grabbing a stack hoping for a score?

Multiple copies of each sells

current trends sell

sig books sell (see my other thread regarding this)

cheap worthless graded books sell

i can go on and on but you get the idea (I hope)

dont need to "trick" anyone to make good money out of drek. Just have good marketing skills

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

I have done both. I have sniped, an other times I enter an amount and forget about it. The stuff I do that for, I am happy if I win, and if I lose, I dont mind. 

Same. If I really want it I snipe. If I only want it if I get it for a steal, I just lob out what I’m comfortable with and let the cards fall where they may...which never works btw.

21 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Same. If I really want it I snipe. If I only want it if I get it for a steal, I just lob out what I’m comfortable with and let the cards fall where they may...which never works btw.

100% correct.  If you want a book at a low price (especially if you want a steal) you must snipe.  No if and or buts about it.  Biggest promo for not running auctions there is.  People that want a deal don't turn to BINs - they turn to sniping on E-Bay.

The way you get an alright price is to snipe. The way you get a steal, is finding a listing either 1) listed in the wrong category 2) listed w/ wrong title or no title 3) listed with wrong picture 4) or just one that for some odd reason or another no one is watching. I've won tons of auctions where I won just off of placing the base bid, or $1 more than a previous base bid that the previous bidder didn't come back to bid on. Once you buy on eBay for a while you can just tell if an auction will get a lot of attention or if it won't.

Everyone is talking about sniping like it's something to actively do. Are people really waiting around for the end of auctions?  Sniping is a passive thing.  Set-it-and-forget-it. GavelSnipe.com is free, I find an auction I want to bid, click my little GavelSnipe button, place a bid, and find out in 5 to 7 days how I did. :foryou:

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Everyone is talking about sniping like it's something to actively do. Are people really waiting around for the end of auctions?  Sniping is a passive thing.  Set-it-and-forget-it. GavelSnipe.com is free, I find an auction I want to bid, click my little GavelSnipe button, place a bid, and find out in 5 to 7 days how I did. :foryou:

I don't trust sniping apps, so yes, I have sat there and spent an extra $20 to make sure that I won. I would've lost out on a very rare lot had I sniped that $20 lower price.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't trust sniping apps, so yes, I have sat there and spent an extra $20 to make sure that I won. I would've lost out on a very rare lot had I sniped that $20 lower price.

I've been on Ebay since 1997, used sniping apps since around 2001, and they have never failed. If you would have lost at $20 lower, then you wouldn't have sniped correctly. I suggested to set-it-and-forget-it... not "set-it-and-forget-it-then-rethink-it-and-wait-until-the-end-and-go-even-$20-higher". lol

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

I've been on Ebay since 1997, used sniping apps since around 2001, and they have never failed. If you would have lost at $20 lower, then you wouldn't have sniped correctly. I suggested to set-it-and-forget-it... not "set-it-and-forget-it-then-rethink-it-and-wait-until-the-end-and-go-even-$20-higher". lol

I think there is alot of flaws with ebay auctions that benefit the seller rather than the buyer.

Some people start bidding wars long before the allotted time is done, and the length of the auction is way to long as well.

I guess that's really not ebay flaws but the ignoramuses who think their bidding war with four days left is somehow gonna impact the collecting economy, it just inflates it.

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I think there is alot of flaws with ebay auctions that benefit the seller rather than the buyer.

Some people start bidding wars long before the allotted time is done, and the length of the auction is way to long as well.

I guess that's really not ebay flaws but the ignoramuses who think their bidding war with four days left is somehow gonna impact the collecting economy, it just inflates it.

Unlike auction houses there are no previews of what will be auctioned on eBay, and sellers need eyes on their product or there will be nary a bidder...

I understand 7 day auctions, it gives time for eyes to see books... 30 day auctions are tedious... so much so, I don't know that they do them...

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Unlike auction houses there are no previews of what will be auctioned on eBay, and sellers need eyes on their product or there will be nary a bidder...

I understand 7 day auctions, it gives time for eyes to see books... 30 day auctions are tedious... so much so, I don't know that they do them...

I know,I guess it curbs impulse buying too,but I hate having to sit around for 5 days just to pull the trigger on something. I'd rather get outbidded in the last two seconds than to watch two buyers battle it out with three days left,cool down, only to watch someone come in and take the stock.

I mean I watched two items until 30 seconds left bid on both and lost. Most realistic auctions only last a little longer than that.

I guess there should be a two day viewing period and than an open auction.

I think sniping on ebay is usually only on lower priced items or stuff someone might be trying to get for not that much money. Usually when I bid on something I put in my true maximum. No need to wait till the last minute and play $1 or .01 games. Of course you probably shouldn't put in your true maximum till the last day.

1 hour ago, GeneticNinja said:

I think sniping on ebay is usually only on lower priced items or stuff someone might be trying to get for not that much money. Usually when I bid on something I put in my true maximum. No need to wait till the last minute and play $1 or .01 games. Of course you probably shouldn't put in your true maximum till the last day.

Makes sense

The number of people talking about waiting around for the end of auctions is mindboggling.  Sniping with software (GavelSnipe, ESnipe, etc.) is so simple I'm wondering if you guys also wash your clothes at the river with a scrubbing board and rocks. (shrug) :kidaround: