• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lex Luthor - His real first appearance

21 posts in this topic

I was going through the Price Guide and adjusting my website when I noticed an odd notation in the guide that I thought was corrected years ago. Obviously it has not and so I will let you know what I discovered. It is regarding Superman #4 and action #23, and of course Lex Luthor.

Which comic book contained his very first appearance?

Well, the guide has always reported Action #23 and so it has been accepted by collectors without much fuss.

Way back in the day, a friend of mine and I were trying to figure out the history of a few characters, when they first appeared to the public. One was the Sandman and the other was Lex Luthor. In both cases DC had created multiple stories to be released, and it is obvious what the order was to be BUT they were not released to the public in that predetermined order.

With the Sandman, it was found that New York World's Fair 1939 was published a few weeks prior to Adventure #40, making World's Fair the rightful 1st appearance. Copyright and publishing dates were carefully checked at the Library of Congress by Stephen Gentner and the Overstreet guide was corrected.

The same research was done with Superman #4 and action Comics #23, with the same results. Although the Action story was the 1st in order, it was actually released second. Why? Because Action Comics was a monthly and Superman Comics was a Quarterly publication, and both had different printing deadlines. You did not want a quarterly to sit on the stands outdated, so it was published and distributed early, and in this case, one week earlier than the Action comic.

To double check my efforts, I compiled arrival date information on every single copy of these books I have seen or owned over the past 15 years. In all cases, it has proven correct.

It may never be corrected in the Price Guide (I hope it will) but for the record, Lex made his very first appearance to the public in Superman #4, spring 1940 issue (distributed in early February).

Mark

Mark, that's GREAT info. Thanks for posting it.

Now, is that Lex on the cover of Superman #4, or is Overstreet correct in stating that Action #47 is his first cover appearance?

And Mark, just to connect my name to my face, I'm Jeff Delaney. You and I chatted at John Verzyl's booth in San Diego. I had just purchased an Exciting Comics #5 in CGC 8.0 from him, and we talked about how scarce it is, and how it seems like you can determine today's prices by adding a zero to prices from not so many years ago.

It may never be corrected in the Price Guide (I hope it will) but for the record, Lex made his very first appearance to the public in Superman #4, spring 1940 issue (distributed in early February).

Mark

I dont have a PG here. Does anyone know the price difference between the two books?

Elvis

Action Comics #23 9.2 $10,500 Superman #4 9.2 $8,800 I must say, this is a very interesting topic. It seems to me, that if Action Comics #23 was the first story, before Superman #4 it would make Action Comics #23 the First Appearance of Luthor, reguardless which one was first released.

Action Comics #23 9.2 $10,500 Superman #4 9.2 $8,800 I must say, this is a very interesting topic. It seems to me, that if Action Comics #23 was the first story, before Superman #4 it would make Action Comics #23 the First Appearance of Luthor, reguardless which one was first released.

Wow, tough call. I personally feel that if Action 23 is the Lex intro story and it was only released a month or 2 after Sups #4 then that is close enough and it is still his first appearance.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I own a copy of Action 23 and I do NOT own Superman 4.

Take that as you will. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Still, I can see this being a serious concern. Its DEFINITELY a solid argument for Sups 4.

In my mind, they are both top notch books. Great content and fantastic covers on both. The OS listed prices are so close. Do you think this revelation should boost the Sups 4 price?

It seems to me, that if Action Comics #23 was the first story, before Superman #4 it would make Action Comics #23 the First Appearance of Luthor, reguardless which one was first released.

I agree with you comicdonna.

I view first appearance as first appearance in printed material so the Superman #4 would meet that criteria, if it can be proven.

I am not sure having all of the could-be flaws changed by Overstreet is such a good idea. People have invested alot of money in key issue comics, and all of a sudden, that book is worth much less, because it is not a key issue anymore. Here is another example. JUST CLICK ON THE IMAGES FOR A LARGER PICTURE.

th_CGCactioncomics29COVER.jpg

Action Comics #29 first Lois Lane cover

th_CGCactioncomics27001.jpg

or is #27 the first Lois Lane cover. It sure looks like her.

I am not sure having all of the could-be flaws changed by Overstreet is such a good idea. People have invested alot of money in key issue comics, and all of a sudden, that book is worth much less, because it is not a key issue anymore. Here is another example. JUST CLICK ON THE IMAGES FOR A LARGER PICTURE.

th_CGCactioncomics29COVER.jpg

Action Comics #29 first Lois Lane cover

th_CGCactioncomics27001.jpg

or is #27 the first Lois Lane cover. It sure looks like her.

I believe the cover to #27 is from a panel from a Superman story in an earlier issue of Action. Reading that story might help in identifying if that is Lois or not.

I am not sure having all of the could-be flaws changed by Overstreet is such a good idea. People have invested alot of money in key issue comics, and all of a sudden, that book is worth much less, because it is not a key issue anymore.

That's just the nature of the game. We had the same controversy many years ago concerning the first Joker cover. First it was Detective #40. Then someone came alone and said "Uh, guys, the Joker doesn't appear in Detective #40, that's gotta be someone else." So, for a while Detective #62 was the first Joker cover, and it became a hot book. Then, someone else came along and said "Uh, guys, that Detective #40 cover is almost a direct panel swipe from one of the Joker stories in Batman #1."

Sure enough, it turns out that one of the Joker stories in Batman #1 was originally supposed to be in Detective #40. So that IS the Joker on the cover. Interesting to think that the first appearance of the Joker is on the cover of a book that he doesn't even appear in!

Hi Jeff

Great to meet you at San Diego. That Exciting you picked up was a tremendous copy!

As for the first Lex cover, #47 gets thee nod but it is really interesting that a Lex Luthor look-a-like is on this cover, especially considering how bald men were not considered in style back then.

I would have loved to ask Joe Shuster his thoughts on this!

Take care

Mark

The same research was done with Superman #4 and action Comics #23, with the same results. Although the Action story was the 1st in order, it was actually released second. Why? Because Action Comics was a monthly and Superman Comics was a Quarterly publication, and both had different printing deadlines. You did not want a quarterly to sit on the stands outdated, so it was published and distributed early, and in this case, one week earlier than the Action comic.

Mark

Mark;

Interesting point about the quarterlies being published and distributed early in the quarter to avoid being outdated. This same question has also often arsien with respect to Pep #22 and Jackpot #4 regarding the first appearance of Archie.

Pep Comics #22 is cover dated December 1941 which most likely means it hit the newsstand sometime during October of 1941. Jackpot Comics #4 is cover dated for Winter of 1941 and most likely came out sometime during October to December of 1941. The story content for both of these books doesn't really distinguish which would have come first, if I remember correctly?

I believe somebody stated that the records were checked and it was determined that the Pep #22 did in fact hit the newsstand just before the Jackpot #4. Does anybody remember this who could refresh our memories on this rather key issue?

Thanks; thumbsup2.gif

Mark

Hey it is also stated on Comics.org. Check it out:

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=723

Indexer notes:

radio show begins 2/12/40; Superman 4 on sale 2/15/40. Although this predates Action 23, the Luthor story here comes first.

This is an ancient argument. In regards to the Adventure 40/NYWF 39 debate, I have to disagree with Mark that the issue was settled. Read the gobbledygook that Overstreet put in the Guide regarding the first published vs first printed appearances and try to figure it out. If NYWF 39 is indeed the first appearance of the Sandman then the price of Adventure 40 should be dropped accordingly. Same with Pep 22/Jackpot 4.

I view first appearance as first appearance in printed material so the Superman #4 would meet that criteria, if it can be proven.

That's the way it *has* to be, otherwise we get into all this "comic book chronology" BS like Wolverine #10 being "Wolvie's first battle with Sabretooth". screwy.gif

Really interesting stuff. Have you contacted Bob Overstreet about this? He is a very nice man, easy to talk to and really appreciates new data. You should call him. If you need help getting in contact with him email me at vincentz@metropolisent.com and I will get you a #.

Good work,

Vz

So if I have it correct 1st Joker - tec 40 and 1st Lex Superman #4. Need to go back and read these again!

If anybody would like to buy a copy (shameless self promotion-sorry guys sometimes I can't help myself) here are links to copies I have on my site-Tec 40

http://search.tias.com/cgi-bin/sqlsearch...p;search=Search

Superman 4

http://search.tias.com/cgi-bin/sqlsearch...p;search=Search