• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
3 3

306 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2024 at 10:56 AM, piper said:

Surprising.  I've seen some pretty terrible TV in the "6" range.  This is better than that (at least so far).

Hide contents

Just surprised they killed off Carrie so early!

She was a main reason for my wanting to watch, so this made me unhappy.  That said, I will continue watching even though the show is basically meh up to this point.

On 6/6/2024 at 7:53 PM, I like pie said:

I don't understand why the review sites allow anyone to vote before the series is completed. 

Agreed.

And despite the fun I'm having here, for the shows, I have either watched or tried to watch:

Mandalorian - despite getting rid of Cara Dune's character, still super strong in every season.
Book of Boba Fett - I watched it all the way and thought it was entertaining, but it's super easy to see why people dislike it.
Ashoka - Super weak beginning that just didn't capture me, so I bailed.
Andor - Again, super weak beginning and despite everyone swearing how awesome it is, never went back.
Obi Wan - probably my favorite SW story of all. Granted, you need the 6 movies worth of character building, but all that led to what - for me - was the best story so far, I consider that show Pure Gold.

And I'd say that anyone who dislikes what Disney is doing with Star Wars, take a look at Rebel Moon and shows like BoBF get elevated to 'Roots' status by comparison.

For as terrible as the sequel trilogy, Rise of the Resistance is a real cool ride/experience. I wouldn’t be surprised if all these kids going through that and grew up with the sequels are going to have fond memories of the sequels like the late millenials and gen z have of the prequel trilogy. 

That’s why I like Star Wars. Different parts of the fandom like different eras and characters. 

Posted (edited)

I thought it was OK and and not the train wreck that I heard it might be, I'm going to continue watching for certain.
I liked the Leslye Headland's last show Russian Doll BTW.

However it had some big problems.
Liked: Always nice to see cool looking Creatures and Aliens which some of the other shows like Andor had so little of.
Disliked: Cheap make-up that resembled Star Trek characters (I mean who came up with that green female Alien design?) and sub-par actors, although I liked Lee Jung-jae.
Story is just OK.

Overall I would give it a 79% after 2 episodes so far.

For what its worth I worked for Disney as a designer for about 3 years from around 2012-15. Then occasional freelance for a few years after.

Edited by Rip

On 6/7/2024 at 12:57 AM, Microchip said:

Thats already happened for the majority of fans.

Your saying the dam is fine, long after it has broken.   You need to keep up with whats happening.   

Is there another universe in which Ashoka is a 8.5??   

Right. Disney is really struggling.lol

On 6/6/2024 at 10:57 PM, Microchip said:

Thats already happened for the majority of fans.

Your saying the dam is fine, long after it has broken.   You need to keep up with whats happening.   

Is there another universe in which Ashoka is a 8.5??   

It was easily an 8.5/10 in my book.

Posted (edited)

I'm torn on this show.
Currently, it isn't as engaging as Mando S1 or Andor.
Each episode I've tried to pinpoint positives such as: cool fighting styles, different aliens, high republic gold lightsaber, and golden clothing.
Then I realize that's through my fandom lenses.
If this wasn't a SW show...I would have called it quits after episode two.

There is already so much media that I am already an active fan coming out this month that this show would get pushed aside until August IF it wasn't SW.
(House of the Dragon S2, The Boys S4, and The Bear S3)
So, in honesty I'd saw a solid 5...as I could easily walk away from it...if it wasn't SW.

Edited by troydivision1

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 5:09 PM, I like pie said:

Right. Disney is really struggling.lol

Their theme parks do very well. The rest? Not so much. Lots of outright bombs in the last few years from their film division and streaming just turned a profit...after some disastrous quarters including one where it lost half a billion.

2023 may have been their worst year for box office returns EVER. Four massive flops at least.

Edited by october

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 4:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

I loved when a few forumites mocked me for implying in the past that Disney paid critics to boost their RT Critics Rating. Yet the information came from industry articles which included interviews with a few critics that admitted what was going on.

The past few years of Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar failures and/or disappointments finally broke through the Disney 'perfection' veil.

It's to the point where it's not worth even looking at review scores, which in a lot of  ways is good because it hopefully will push people to view stuff on their own and make their own decisions on the quality of a film. Hollywood and theaters are desperate so I imagine it will just get worse as time goes on.

Trying to watch Acolyte, ignoring all the noise (which is impossible), it feels like the show has potential but the acting and plot points hurt what's going on. The structure of the story feels like a mess with sped up plot points that make it feel awkward. It feels like Star Wars at times but you keep getting pulled back. I'm just guessing but I assume most will not make it to the end, why would you with such a predictable plot ? 

Edited by TeddieMercede

I don’t bother with reviews, this seems entertaining enough that I will continue to watch it. I don’t get the love for Andor as I thought that was kinda of boring, they stretched out the storyline over too many episodes. 

On 6/7/2024 at 7:31 PM, october said:

2023 may have been their worst year for box office

How many studios had record breaking revenues in 2023? hm

Still, Disney isn't hurting. Not even a little.

This breakdown is more interesting than the episode was..

Posted (edited)

Hmmm. I typed in Rebel scum and was diverted straight to wokepedia page about some fan fiction movie.

They don't want people finding the main Star Wars forum hm

Edited by Microchip