• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My results of a large CGC/CCS submission
3 3

108 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, october said:

I'm dumb, but not THAT dumb.

The disturbing thing is that they probably get away with doing that with most folks.  I mean surely that wouldn't be the canned response if it wasn't widely accepted?  

I can't even imagine getting a submission back with that little communication.  They might as well have included a picture of one of the graders rubbing his sack across the cover.

1 hour ago, D84 said:
2 hours ago, buttock said:

I found out that another of my CCS books had the staple popped, which explains the drop in grade.  

I've only sent 1 book to CCS and they damaged it.  Not risking anymore books with them.

1 hour ago, october said:

I have pressed hundreds and hundreds of my own books. Do you know how many times I have popped a staple? Zero. Zero times. 

I had CCS press about a dozen books once. The didn't pop any staples, but they did somehow tear THE ENTIRE COVER off of my VF/NM FF 52 and then lie about it. 

Such a stellar service. 

Sorry to hear about all of the bad experiences with CCS's qualtiy of service.  :frown:

I had heard they had a lot of issues when Matt first left to switch over to the CGC side of the business, but assumed this was all simply part of the learning process and would eventually be worked in due time.  Guess they still have not been worked out, and in fact, might have even gotten worse.  :facepalm:

:idea:  Maybe they should transfer Matt back to the CCS side of the business and that'll get both the pressing and grading back on par.  hm  (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sorry to hear about all of the bad experiences with CCS's qualtiy of service.  :frown:

I had heard they had a lot of issues when Matt first left to switch over to the CGC side of the business, but assumed this was all simply part of the learning process and would eventually be worked in due time.  Guess they still have not been worked out, and in fact, might have even gotten worse.  :facepalm:

:idea:  Maybe they should transfer Matt back to the CCS side of the business and that'll get both the pressing and grading back on par.  hm  (thumbsu

Full disclosure, this was at least 2-3 years ago. 

Well, all I can say is that anybody who wants to get their comments in better do it now because I am 100% sure that the Mods are going to shut this thread right down in no time short once they get around to seeing it.  (tsk)

3 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

They might as well have included a picture of one of the graders rubbing his sack across the cover.

Thanks entalmighty - I just spat tea out of my nose. 

I can't stop laughing lol

1 minute ago, october said:
3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Full disclosure, this was at least 2-3 years ago. 

So, hopefully it was all a part of the learning and transition process and they did resolved the issues as I believe Matt transferred over sometime around 2016 or thereabouts.  :wishluck:

21 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

The disturbing thing is that they probably get away with doing that with most folks.  I mean surely that wouldn't be the canned response if it wasn't widely accepted?  

I can't even imagine getting a submission back with that little communication.  They might as well have included a picture of one of the graders rubbing his sack across the cover.

Sack is extra.

1 hour ago, october said:

I have pressed hundreds and hundreds of my own books. Do you know how many times I have popped a staple? Zero. Zero times. 

I had CCS press about a dozen books once. The didn't pop any staples, but they did somehow tear THE ENTIRE COVER off of my VF/NM FF 52 and then lie about it. 

Such a stellar service. 

I have to say, I don't think I will use CCS again.  I don't see myself doing a whole lot of pressing, but if I do I will use someone else.  I don't get the feeling that they have any interest in doing a good job, just pushing the books through.  

Now for problems unrelated to pressing, I think that they did a good job.  But that was maybe 7 or 8 books. 

I remember back in the 1990s when great deals could be found but you still had rampant overgrading (I got screwed multiple times).  There were deals to be found though like my Batman 49 (like $400) and Star Spangled 7 ($250) for example.  When CGC first hit the stage, you could get some good. Deals on CGC books but that quickly changed.  These days, anything I buy off eBay I pay a high price for in the comic realm (like my Batman 37, 7.5).  I use to get some good deals on Mars Attack cards but now they are hit or miss.  For upgrades I need they always go high.  Superman Puzzles from the 1940s use to be bargains.  Complete puzzles in the box use to go for under $200 and incomplete could be had for ~$20.  Now the prices are much higher.  I bought a ton of OA back in the late 90s and early 2000s but it have been years since I bought something.  Now my mainstay for stuff is the auction houses and some folks off the message board.

2 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Ditto. I almost fell off my chair reading that part.

There I was, reading away, and the sack comment just comes right out from nowhere.

I'm still laughing an hour later. 

4 hours ago, buttock said:

I found out that another of my CCS books had the staple popped, which explains the drop in grade.  

I hate to jump on the bandwagon here but the one submission through CCS, a staple was popped as well.  I thought I had missed it and did not contact CGC.  I knew I had pictures of the raw book but couldn't find them.  Several months later I did and my pics clearly showed all was attached.  I had pics of the CF as well.  Thought at that time, it was too late to do anything and won't use them again. 

I had great luck with Matt when he had Classics Inc.  Joey has been doing my stuff for a while now.  Other than good service and results no extra postage to have the books sent to CGC for grading.

3 hours ago, october said:

Such a stellar service. 

Oh man, I had the same experience, not with CCS but just CGC grading.  Sent in a Journey into Mystery #83 at a raw FN (6.0) and received a detached cover Good+ (2.5) with no accountability.  Must be nice to be a near monopoly.

Such a stellar service. 

:facepalm:

24 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Oh man, I had the same experience, not with CCS but just CGC grading.  Sent in a Journey into Mystery #83 at a raw FN (6.0) and received a detached cover Good+ (2.5) with no accountability.  Must be nice to be a near monopoly.

:pullhair:

4 hours ago, october said:

Such a stellar service. 

Oh, the book was also sent back to me unencapsulated, without explanation. Just showed up in a bag and board with the rest of my slabbed submission. No note, explanation or apology. :golfclap:

Wow.  That is sad.

Be warned, the way this thread is going, all of your guys are either going to be sent to the penalty box to spend some time comtemplating what you are saying here.  hm

Well, probably not that bad, but will most likely be given a courtesy warning based upon your negative comments to date.  (tsk)