• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,079 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The blue Batman 1 6.5 is not the prettiest book I have seen

No, especially when compared with recent auctioned Batman #1's (but it is a Batman 1)

Also an MC 1 (restored), Tec 31 (low grade but not Brittle), Pep 17, Zip 22, not Promise graded stuff but gems non the less. Promise buy payoffs? 

18 minutes ago, sagii said:

No, especially when compared with recent auctioned Batman #1's (but it is a Batman 1)

Also an MC 1 (restored), Tec 31 (low grade but not Brittle), Pep 17, Zip 22, not Promise graded stuff but gems non the less. Promise buy payoffs? 

Possibly.  I suspect the competition for the lower grade stuff will be pretty fierce.  These are the only books that are "affordable" to collectors.

11 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Possibly.  I suspect the competition for the lower grade stuff will be pretty fierce.  These are the only books that are "affordable" to collectors.

link

On 6/21/2021 at 10:13 AM, LordRahl said:
On 6/21/2021 at 9:39 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I mean there's the rarity and the artist involved, otherwise the book is ASM 667, and last I checked nothing special about that. Definitely impressive it can sell for this much though 

Look, I don't get it either buuuut... in regards to your bolded sentence above, the same thing can be said of Silver Surfer #4 (there's the cover and "supposed" rarity if that farce of it being limited in distribution is still being perpetrated) and we know what SS 4s are selling for in 9.8 these days.

Based upon your comment about the supposed rarity of Silver Surfer 4, I went back and checked my Overstreet and you are exactly right as it does indeed have a notation of "Lower distribution" for SS 4.  :whatthe:

Never knew this as I thought the only Marvel book to have this kind of notation was Conan 3 and like the fool that I was back in the day, actually took Overstreet at his word and believed it.  To the point that when I attended my first comic book convention way back in the day and was trying to decide between a HG copy of FF 11 or a minty fresh copy of Conan 3, I made the big boo boo of choosing the supposedly scarcer Conan 3.  Since they were both going for pretty much the same price back then, I figured that if I didn't take the Conan that I might have a hard time finishing off my BWS run of Conan.  As for the FF 11, the thought that ran through my mind at the time was who really cares about the Impossible Man and who needs to read a story about Willie Lumpkin, the mailman.  Boy, did I ever make the wrong choice there.  :facepalm:   doh!

As for the Silver Surfer 4, I went back and took a look at my copy and maybe it's really more a case of "late" distribution to some areas, as opposed to lower distribution.  I took a look at my copy of SS 4 and it had a code of "14" on it which meant the store received it during the fourth week of January which is abnormally late late late for a February cover issue.  Especially when I noticed that the code on all of my other 25 cents Silver Surfer issues were all coded 2 full months prior to their cover dates.  So, my guess here is that for some odd reason, Silver Surfer 4 might have had either a production/print or distribution/shipping problem or both, and arrive just prior to the time when the stores were supposed to be taking them off the shelves.  As a result, some of the stores (at least the one in the boonies out here in Canada) might not even had bothered to put them on the shelf in the first place, or if they did, took it off as soon as Silver Surfer 5 got shipped to the stores which would not have been too long afterwards.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Based upon your comment about the supposed rarity of Silver Surfer 4, I went back and checked my Overstreet and you are exactly right as it does indeed have a notation of "Lower distribution" for SS 4.  :whatthe:

Never knew this as I thought the only Marvel book to have this kind of notation was Conan 3 and like the fool that I was back in the day, actually took Overstreet at his word and believed it.  To the point that when I attended my first comic book convention way back in the day and was trying to decide between a HG copy of FF 11 or a minty fresh copy of Conan 3, I made the big boo boo of choosing the supposedly scarcer Conan 3.  Since they were both going for pretty much the same price back then, I figured that if I didn't take the Conan that I might have a hard time finishing off my BWS run of Conan.  As for the FF 11, the thought that ran through my mind at the time was who really cares about the Impossible Man and who needs to read a story about Willie Lumpkin, the mailman.  Boy, did I ever make the wrong choice there.  :facepalm:   doh!

As for the Silver Surfer 4, I went back and took a look at my copy and maybe it's really more a case of "late" distribution to some areas, as opposed to lower distribution.  I took a look at my copy of SS 4 and it had a code of "14" on it which meant the store received it during the fourth week of January which is abnormally late late late for a February cover issue.  Especially when I noticed that the code on all of my other 25 cents Silver Surfer issues were all coded 2 full months prior to their cover dates.  So, my guess here is that for some odd reason, Silver Surfer 4 might have had either a production/print or distribution/shipping problem or both, and arrive just prior to the time when the stores were supposed to be taking them off the shelves.  As a result, some of the stores (at least the one in the boonies out here in Canada) might not even had bothered to put them on the shelf in the first place, or if they did, took it off as soon as Silver Surfer 5 got shipped to the stores which would not have been too long afterwards.  hm  (shrug)

Hard to believe that Conan 3 and FF 11 in similar grade were ever going for roughly the same price, isn't it? But yeah, SS4 prior to comic conventions and the internet may have been a bit tougher to find in certain markets but now, no harder than any of the surrounding issues. 

17 hours ago, batman_fan said:

The blue Batman 1 6.5 is not the prettiest book I have seen

I would second that a very solid copy. HA is just dominating the GA/SA comic book auction field, the way things are looking their weekly auction is gong to be very similar to the major auctions at CC or CL especially with Promise books added.

On 6/23/2021 at 12:19 PM, Mmehdy said:

I would second that a very solid copy. HA is just dominating the GA/SA comic book auction field, the way things are looking their weekly auction is gong to be very similar to the major auctions at CC or CL especially with Promise books added.

No, they are not. For GA sure, but they have a long way to go to catch CL when it comes to Silver.

42 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

No, they are not. For GA sure, but they have a long way to go to catch CL when it comes to Silver.

ComicLink is another beast when it comes to SA books. The 8.0 X-Men selling for $147K was insane to see. 

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I just can't get past them showing the T-rex with four fingers, I mean come on.

:jokealert:

I'd never noticed that before. That's quite funny; surely by 1947 the T-Rex was well known enough that this error shouldn't have happen.

7 minutes ago, twmjr1 said:

A 4.5 All-American #25 just went for 11.4K, that's over 4 times guide. First Dr. Mid-Nite. Not so long ago this book could not be given away, practically. What is going on with GA books now?

Seeing this sale, I’m very happy that I bought my 5.5 last year at UNDER guide.