• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,979 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

well, these b.s. actions are going wild to kick off the 2nd-string promise books.

I am in reluctant agreement.  It didn't begin or end well.

8 hours ago, comicdonna said:
22 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 6/19/2021 at 5:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Is this a record setting price for this copy of Donald Duck as I guess they must be getting back in vogue after being in the cooler for a long time:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-178-donald-duck-rockford-pedigree-dell-1947-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7244-94042.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F3%2F8%2F24138684%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for a rather astounding $90K and big congrats to the consignor of this book here who I believe is one of our very own here.  (thumbsu  :applause:

Expand  

I fell out of my chair when I saw this price.

Nothing in any previous benchmarks would've predicted anything like this.

Expand  

Didn't you have a 9.8 at one point.  

No, just the 9.6. :sorry:

Was just going down the list of sales from all the books, promise ped and the other auction and came across this modern variant. How in the hell is any modern variant selling for this much?! Rarity or whatever aside, over $30K for this??!! I mean I get it’s Dell’Otto, and it’s a 9.8 and all, but WTF 🤯

2E06F219-96D8-49E7-B3B9-D94342738A8D.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

23 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Was just going down the list of sales from all the books, promise ped and the other auction and came across this modern variant. How in the hell is any modern variant selling for this much?! Rarity or whatever aside, over $30K for this??!! I mean I get it’s Dell’Otto, and it’s a 9.8 and all, but WTF 🤯

In the long run, artificial scarcity (limited variants such as this) is unlikely to stand the test of time. :whatev:

Edited by Northwest

5 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I don't get any of that. This is a 10 yr old book.

Most I'd pay is $100 after I'd hit the bottle.

You could have bought the All Star 33 9.6 Promise for that money.

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

But...but...but...it's RARE! Only 20 9.8 copies on the census!

I don't get it either. I don't get the love for Dell'Otto and I don't get the love for that book. Some of his covers are sort of cool, but that is not one of them. Absurd price.

28 minutes ago, october said:

But...but...but...it's RARE! Only 20 9.8 copies on the census!

I don't get it either. I don't get the love for Dell'Otto and I don't get the love for that book. Some of his covers are sort of cool, but that is not one of them. Absurd price.

This is the part I like best . . .

0DE177BD-DD76-4E04-BDA6-1A85E6C2C6EC.jpeg

13 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

This is some kind of tax-avoidance thing. The only question is, if you're going to pay that much on a book to avoid paying in taxes, why not go for Promise All Winners, All Select, etc?

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Oh yeah not even a question, would have bought the AS33 9.6 ped over this with ease!

People buy what they like and will spend $$$ on what they choose to spend their hard earned cash on.  ASM 667 variant is an interesting book.  A lot of people are going to rag on the sale, and that's fine.  That's why you collect GA books and others collect modern.  Overall, though... the book is quite rare and seems to be very difficult to get in CGC 9.8.  It is still a very speculative book, though.

4 minutes ago, cmzare said:

People buy what they like and will spend $$$ on what they choose to spend their hard earned cash on.  ASM 667 variant is an interesting book.  A lot of people are going to rag on the sale, and that's fine.  That's why you collect GA books and others collect modern.  Overall, though... the book is quite rare and seems to be very difficult to get in CGC 9.8.  It is still a very speculative book, though.

if it's going for $35k or whatever, it's no longer a speculation.