• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,226 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2021 at 11:52 AM, batman_fan said:

Looks like I failed reading comprehension again

The Heritage link goes to the "9.2 copy of the San Franciso".  You read just fine. 

On 8/11/2021 at 11:48 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think the Heritage link is messed up. It takes you to an image of the 9.2 Promise book, but the Heritage  caption incorrectly IDs it as the San Francisco copy. 

The copy in the auction is NOT a Promise book.  The link takes you to the book whose label says "Frisco 9.2"

Edited by adamstrange

On 8/11/2021 at 9:38 AM, adamstrange said:

Interesting.  The 9.2 copy is in a new holder, but was sold in 2016.  It has neither a G code nor a Reilly stamp.  Do you know if the 9.8 has a Reilly stamp on the back?  

On 8/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, buttock said:

Interesting.  The 9.2 copy is in a new holder, but was sold in 2016.  It has neither a G code nor a Reilly stamp.  Do you know if the 9.8 has a Reilly stamp on the back?  

Action60sfbk.jpg

On 8/7/2021 at 10:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well I don’t know about 25 mil haha. But I certainly believe there’s million dollar collections out there waiting to be found. Not sure what the Fantucchio is going to finish at in total sales. I believe c-link amazingly still has books selling from that insane silver collection, been hitting their auctions for like 2 years now, different silver titles every time. It’s certainly somewhere from 5-10 mil though.

Lol, if we’re referring to original owner raw books, kept for 50+ years in exceptional condition , well, there probably aren’t too many more to be discovered, not on the pedigree level we’re talking about.  

That’s probably the simplest way to look at it.  How many more pedigrees?  I’d guess less than 5 legitimate ones.

But...how many incredible collections of the Fantucchio, Cage, Berk variety?  Many many many.  Dozens.  I’m not suggesting equals, or that the collections are the raw variety.  The top dealers and collectors know most of what’s out there in that regard.  

But there are collectors who will have a liquidation event or die over coming decades with collections that value $1-5MM, $5-10MM, $10-20MM, and probably a few $20MM*.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:36 AM, batman_fan said:

This book makes me feel tingly.  Sadly not my book or any hope of it becoming my book but still nice to look at

I spotted that book, too. It's an eye catcher thanks to the imagery.

Took a closer look and noticed what appears to be an approximate 1/2" spine split, bottom front cover.

Cracked my Overstreet Grading Guide for a reality check...and found that an 1/8" split is allowed at the maximum grade of 6.5 (FN+), and an 1/2" - 1" split at the 4.5 (VG+) grade.

Perhaps I haven't been paying close enough attention lately, but is that type of defect now allowed at the 8.5 (VF+) level?

SMC-1_8-5_lower-left-FC_2.jpg.4c1179503f3804860693ad5c423cce7b.jpg

24561989]&call=url[file:product.chain]

Edited by MasterChief

On 8/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, MasterChief said:

I spotted that book, too. It's an eye catcher thanks to the imagery.

Took a closer look and noticed what appears to be an approximate 1/2" spine split, bottom front cover.

Cracked my Overstreet Grading Guide for a reality check...and found that an 1/8" split is allowed at the maximum grade of 6.5 (FN+), and an 1/2" - 1" split at the 4.5 (VG+) grade.

Perhaps I haven't been paying close enough attention lately, but is that type of defect now allowed at the 8.5 (VF+) level?

SMC-1_8-5_lower-left-FC_2.jpg.4c1179503f3804860693ad5c423cce7b.jpg

24561989]&call=url[file:product.chain]

Good catch, I didn’t see it but is sure looks like a spine split and I thought CGC hammered spine splits 

On 8/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, batman_fan said:

Good catch, I didn’t see it but is sure looks like a spine split and I thought CGC hammered spine splits 

So I pulled the trigger on the grader notes and, indeed, the notes list a "small split bottom of spine."  shocked.gif.df4b92b8ecc5f1eb90248108b637db4e.gif

On 8/11/2021 at 12:57 PM, eschnit said:

Lol, if we’re referring to original owner raw books, kept for 50+ years in exceptional condition , well, there probably aren’t too many more to be discovered, not on the pedigree level we’re talking about.  

That’s probably the simplest way to look at it.  How many more pedigrees?  I’d guess less than 5 legitimate ones.

But...how many incredible collections of the Fantucchio, Cage, Berk variety?  Many many many.  Dozens.  I’m not suggesting equals, or that the collections are the raw variety.  The top dealers and collectors know most of what’s out there in that regard.  

But there are collectors who will have a liquidation event or die over coming decades with collections that value $1-5MM, $5-10MM, $10-20MM, and probably a few $20MM*.

All I know is I wish I was the proprietor of one of these hidden collections! lol

On 8/11/2021 at 5:09 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I had sworn off complaining about the grading of this Promise Collection, because that has proven divisive here on the boards, but my goodness.

:gossip: Not a Promise book. 

On 8/11/2021 at 8:58 PM, szav said:

My experience has been the opposite as they’ve been pretty forgiving on books I subbed.  I’ve had some with one inch splits get 7.0 and some not otherwise stellar looking books with 1.5-2 inch splits get 5.5s.

I had meant to come straight to the boards and complain about this bad overgrading in my favor but somehow I got sidetracked and forgot for a few years until now.

Ok that’s funny

On 8/11/2021 at 9:58 PM, szav said:

My experience has been the opposite as they’ve been pretty forgiving on books I subbed.  I’ve had some with one inch splits get 7.0 and some not otherwise stellar looking books with 1.5-2 inch splits get 5.5s.

I had meant to come straight to the boards and complain about this bad overgrading in my favor but somehow I got sidetracked and forgot for a few years until now.

I can't remember how many 7.5's I've popped out that had spine splits... If the book looks way better than the grade, chances are you have a split or a partially popped staple..... or a stain that is masked by the slab's gloss. There are so many variables with imaging and such that I never understood how anyone could have an intelligent debate based on an image of a scan. I don't even try... there are too many things that are hard to determine even when you actually have the book in hand. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu