• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,022 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2021 at 5:26 PM, Mmehdy said:

Amazing $6,747,668 without the AF 15 which is tommorow...wow...Promise books broke 2.5M very impressive...the market is rock solid.....

Has a comic auction broken 20 million yet ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Yeh 7102 took the Kid Colt 1 and 2.  Wrecking Ball action.

I wonder if your bidder number is generated as a one time identifier for a particular auction - or if it is a unique data field that belongs to a client.  I'll find out in November.

Also - the other auctioneer, Mark?  mentioned more than once the "global participation" for this auction.  Brian didn't get that memo, instead focusing on how grand it was that one buyer was preserving the collection.  He may get a talking to later.  HA wants buyers to feel that the market is not just strong, but more importantly, deep - with wide levels of participation.  

Why do you think that is?

On 9/8/2021 at 12:43 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 9/8/2021 at 12:13 PM, szav said:

Really strong prices across the board so far it seems.

Yes

Since I had time on my hands today, I would definitely agree with the two of you here although I am not sure if prices were as wild and crazy as their last Signature Auction with the first big load of the Promise Collection books.  (shrug)

On 9/8/2021 at 1:47 PM, skypinkblu said:

Well, Sensation 26 went for almost double what i expected...and I thought I bid too much, lol.

Yeah, I've also been on the lookout for a copy of this book here since I tend to view it as a poor man's version of Action Comics 13:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/sensation-comics-26-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1944-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7246-92128.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F4%2F24384205%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Only problem is that this book doesn't seem to come into the marketplace very often with the last slabbed copy back in 2013 or a few years before I started to look for a copy for my personal collection.  Although I had placed some bids earlier on, there was no way I was going to pay close to 5-figures or anywhere even in the vicinity of that ballpark for a copy with that huge and noticeable of a fugly miscut.  :p

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 9/8/2021 at 2:14 PM, Dark Knight said:

Suspense Comics #8 closed at $60k.. I lost :cry:

I was the underbidder. :cry:

Hey Richard;

Sorry to hear that you just missed out on this one here, but like I've always said..............you've definitely got good taste and a sharp eye when it comes to these high end books.  (thumbsu

Actually, considering what the Suspense 11 went for at $132K and the fact that the next highest graded copies of Suspense 8 are several notches lower at 7.5, I thought this all-time classic spider cover by Cole might possbily have even gone for a bit more than the $60K it ended up selling for.  hm  (shrug)

On 9/8/2021 at 6:22 PM, lou_fine said:

Since I had time on my hands today, I would definitely agree with the two of you here although I am not sure if prices were as wild and crazy as their last Signature Auction with the first big load of the Promise Collection books.  (shrug)

Looks a little dialed back but still very noteworthy... this auction also had more books that I like than the first. GOD BLESS...

On 9/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Hey Richard;

Sorry to hear that you just missed out on this one here, but like I've always said..............you've definitely got good taste and a sharp eye when it comes to these high end books.  (thumbsu

Actually, considering what the Suspense 11 went for at $132K and the fact that the next highest graded copies of Suspense 8 are several notches lower at 7.5, I thought this all-time classic spider cover by Cole might possbily have even gone for a bit more than the $60K it ended up selling for.  hm  (shrug)

All things considered you are correct. It does seem like a fair price. But there was only one other bidder and I wasn't going over 60.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:26 PM, Mmehdy said:

Promise books broke 2.5M very impressive...the market is rock solid.....

Promise books in first auction broke $8 million.  It's a very impressive collection that will make the heirs happy, but it was front-loaded.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:42 AM, skypinkblu said:

I'm guessing the notes I'm getting "you've qualified to bid by phone" mean I've already bid too much 

That's funny, after they reviewed *my* bids it went the other direction. I can only bid now if I mail them a letter and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for the reply.  (shrug)

On 9/8/2021 at 6:43 PM, Point Five said:

That's funny, after they reviewed *my* bids it went the other direction. I can only bid now if I mail them a letter and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for the reply.  (shrug)

I did notice the underbidder on a book in the second session was a mailed bid.  Who would mail a bid?  I find that absurd lol

On 9/8/2021 at 7:43 PM, Point Five said:

I think you've mixed them up with Wooley Auctions :baiting:.... I still have a couple of their catalogs :cloud9: . GOD BLESS....

On 9/8/2021 at 2:47 PM, skypinkblu said:

Well, Sensation 26 went for almost double what i expected...and I thought I bid too much, lol.

Makes the #41 I won last week look like a bargain.

I can't believe these prices. I'm glad I disabled my bidding button before I totally lost my mind.

That was the one Promise book I was really hoping for but I didn't even get involved in the live bidding, too rich for me :sorry:

Now I REALLY kick myself for not going after the 6.5 (I think) that was on CLINK a while back.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:40 PM, jimjum12 said:

I know you already know this, but it isn't "a" market, but rather many markets within markets. We do ourselves a disservice when we try to lump it all into one cesspool. That bidder is almost his/her own market. High grade is a separate market, low grade, etc., etc. .... GOD BLESS .... 

Albeit, it’s one bidder, he/she is setting the market for those books I suppose.  A book in auction goes for one bid more than the underbidder is willing to pay.  If theoretically he has no ceiling,we get price discovery on the 2nd most someone is willing to pay.  The would be high bidder.  Without that hoover, we don’t know how high the winner was actually willing to go.   So I suppose we know the highest price one buyer would pay retail, we just do t really know what it would do at auction without that whale.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:01 PM, batman_fan said:

Sounds like someone needs a refresher session at Mitch's ManUp Clinique :baiting:

Yep.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, batman_fan said:

That was the one Promise book I was really hoping for but I didn't even get involved in the live bidding, too rich for me :sorry:

Now I REALLY kick myself for not going after the 6.5 (I think) that was on CLINK a while back.

I was willing to go fairly high for it, but I was blown away soon after the live auction started. I have a copy, I've had a few, but never anything more than 3.5. I didn't see the 6.5 or I would have been bidding on that one.