• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I totally agree this is new money to the hobby. I see too many buying errors to be otherwise 

You're probably right, but I've been collecting for 38 years and still make unforced errors—usually because of the taunting of Heritage's robotic voice saying, "YOU'VE been outbid!"

ETA: I can practically see her sticking her tongue out at me after she says that.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/8/2022 at 6:22 AM, Professor K said:

I agree they are new to comics. I was referring to the power of Hollywood. These new multi millionaire "collectors" are in it for the money. I doubt they are influenced very much about which character has a movie scheduled. I don't think that factors in to the real big money books very much, which I thought you were stating in you other post. That's the point I was saying. :peace:

Ok. I get your point.  I’m not positive the movies will be their overriding decision point. But, it’s been the movies that have elevated comics to them as a potential investment item.  Therefore if that impetus wavers, or ceases to look as strong as it does now, many of these comics will be finding their way back to auctions. We don’t want that, cause you take the new money away and no one else will have the millions to prop up the prices.  At this point, we must hope that comics follow impressionist artwork.  A core of passionate art lovers goes against the grain in love with dumb stuff  — weirdly painted colorful works the serious old guard money won’t touch. And over time the NEW money comes around and prices shoot the moon.  Sorry for the drunk history version of collecting!

On 4/8/2022 at 2:40 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Whats your hammer prediction as the 27-37 expert among us ?

Don’t think it’ll hit 100k but won’t be too far off. Tec 33 8.0 didn’t do so well and bidding on the Tec 37 8.5 isn’t all that strong so nothing leads me to believe a coverless 27 will stand out 

On 4/8/2022 at 10:41 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Don’t think it’ll hit 100k but won’t be too far off. Tec 33 8.0 didn’t do so well and bidding on the Tec 37 8.5 isn’t all that strong so nothing leads me to believe a coverless 27 will stand out 

I am hoping for the best as letting it go was not easy as I know I will never get another chance at having this book in my collection ( it has been a dream owning this), I have no idea where this is going to land but it seems like a lot of people here are underestimating just how rare a complete and by today standards ( affordable) copy of  Tec #27 is. The reality is unless your really rich this maybe the last chance to own this book for a long time. IMHO if I was trying to add this to my collection I could not sell off books fast enough ( other then Action 1 or a few others) Nothing I had would not be on the table to add this to my collection. I mean how many GS X men Hulk 181 or ASM 129 would it take to own this and all can be replaced any day of the week. So I guess we will see if any other collectors feel the same way I do? Regardless of where it lands today I hope it go's to a collector who treasures it as much as I have. Again unless money is no object it is by far the highlight of any collection. Thank you everyone for the personal PMS and well wishes!

On 4/8/2022 at 7:51 AM, LearnedHand said:

I think there are more factors.  

Before the films, the GA and SA interest-to-sale price ratio was, generally speaking, quite different. Prime examples: (1) I used to buy and sell AF15 in V/VG to VG range in the general ~$2k - $3k range as a matter of course. Everyone wanted a copy, no one was paying more. (2) Captain America Comics #1.  There were 3 CGC8.0 copies that did the show circuit for a few years, all priced ~$50k, with no buyers. (3) Detective 33 was a dog for years.  At the height of (pre-film era) desirability for lower grade copies, I was getting offers - from only 3 dealers - who wanted to buy my VG copy because they had customers who could be pushed to pay $5k and no more.

And I don’t agree that everyone who wanted a copy of a given book would have bought it before the price explosion.  That assumes a lot.  I have several friends who were avid collectors in the 1990s but then entirely disconnected to get married and have families. They have now made their proverbial fortunes, are now empty nesters, and want back into the game.  Just this week, two of those friends told me they want to buy certain key SA books in 9.4-9.8 (books that currently sell for $100k+++) “before they are no longer affordable.”  

All this to say, the films definitely changed things, but the answer to current dynamics is more complex.   

Yeah.  I agree with your thinking, especially based on your actual experience as a dealer, not a collector.  Yes, many if not most of us didn’t actually buy every issue we could have back then. We read the lamentations here each time an “I coulda” admission is posted.  But yes, waking up ready to pull the trigger happened to many of us and may be partially responsible today.  I went though that same transition you are describing. but I did it soon after CGC came along as I was forced to confront the reality that my “high grade” copies were really 7s and 8s in most cases.  So I went out and repurchased better copies.  But this was 20 years ago, they were still cheap if you had some extra money, the prices were far from the millions they go for now and way below the !00K level your empty nesters are looking to pay. As people joke here now, 1M is the new 100K

so I agree that some of these sales are to long term collectors who now either have the cash or are just ready to “man up”. Even maybe 1 or 2 who’ve met with outrageous fortunes along the way with millions or spend.  On one hand that good news! People who love comics and have been around as the buyers is probably better than fickle new money.  But my sense is that it’s a smaller % of the new buying pool.  Either way though, we now have actual sales data that comics are seriously in the mix, not just our usual pie in the sky guesses, Actual 3M sales boost confidence and gain attention.  Aren’t we all getting texts and links to press clippings from friends and family each time one sells?  People in all walks of life are paying attention.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Under 100 would be a crime.  120ish sounds about right in my head.  Then again, 150 in today's market still wouldn't surprise me for this bad boy.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Under 100 would be a crime.  120ish sounds about right in my head.  Then again, 150 in today's market still wouldn't surprise me for this bad boy.

Paging Zen !  We need you to weigh in on this .....

On 4/8/2022 at 9:03 AM, Aman619 said:

Yeah.  I agree with your thinking, especially based on your actual experience as a dealer, not a collector.  Yes, many if not most of us didn’t actually buy every issue we could have back then. We read the lamentations here each time an “I coulda” admission is posted.  But yes, waking up ready to pull the trigger happened to many of us and may be partially responsible today.  I went though that same transition you are describing. but I did it soon after CGC came along as I was forced to confront the reality that my “high grade” copies were really 7s and 8s in most cases.  So I went out and repurchased better copies.  But this was 20 years ago, they were still cheap if you had some extra money, the prices were far from the millions they go for now and way below the !00K level your empty nesters are looking to pay. As people joke here now, 1M is the new 100K

so I agree that some of these sales are to long term collectors who now either have the cash or are just ready to “man up”. Even maybe 1 or 2 who’ve met with outrageous fortunes along the way with millions or spend.  On one hand that good news! People who love comics and have been around as the buyers is probably better than fickle new money.  But my sense is that it’s a smaller % of the new buying pool.  Either way though, we now have actual sales data that comics are seriously in the mix, not just our usual pie in the sky guesses, Actual 3M sales boost confidence and gain attention.  Aren’t we all getting texts and links to press clippings from friends and family each time one sells?  People in all walks of life are paying attention.

People make the mistake of thinking that our hobby is stuck in the time period that they were most involved.  We all have our journey through it, we start, evolve, and finish.  But that's true of everyone who comes in, and the only constant is change.  It's a terrible mistake to think that the tranches of what's hot, valuable, or collectible will remain static.  New hobbyists want something different than the old guard, and things will be ever cyclical.  If you don't realize that things change, you'll get left behind.  

On 4/8/2022 at 5:27 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Worst auctioneer ever

yeah ok blame the guy :eyeroll:

The Tec37 did way better than last time (63k vs 48k 2 yrs ago, also on Heritage)

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 4/8/2022 at 11:27 AM, Gotham Kid said:

yeah ok blame the guy :eyeroll:

The Tec37 did way better than last time

Not blaming the guy but boy he sucked from jumped.  I've seen way better there.  I can't believe that book sold for under 6 figures.

On 4/8/2022 at 5:39 PM, I am not Glenda said:

Hey, no blame or hard feelings, I am ok with the final #, but the reality is I knew this sale was off from the get go, everything before it was sold at or below what I expected, just no heat on this Friday. All the best to the new owner! 

Still a solid price.

Sadly the vast majority bidders are ever more cover-centric. I think the front cover alone ( if one would come to auction ) would sell for 100-150k or more.

Edited by Gotham Kid