• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,909 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 6:13 PM, Dark Knight said:

Of course there were some games that sold higher, but overall, it wasn't as strong as sales from last year collectively.  The games you consigned, were they mostly if not all pop 1's at that grade and/or only a few copies graded in the pop report?  If so, then I can see why your consignments did well.  A few of the games that most collectors were shocked at were the chrono trigger 9.6, TMNT turtles in time 9.8, the VGA 95 of the Super Mario Land trio set, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 9.6's, Sonic 9.8, and Halo NFR 9.8 version, just to name a few all underperformed greatly compared to previous sales.  These are pretty big titles in the gaming collecting community.  Sure, I saw some that sold higher than expected, but the sentimental feeling of that auction this time around was overall a letdown.  

I knew that once the WATA pop reports are released, a number of these high profiled games would take a hit, especially those games that were made in the mid-late 90's and newer.  I think NES games have the better "investment" value in the long term.

I thought the chrono result was fine, TMNT result was low, the SML set was a stupid idea (three 95s at once?  and with the market generally not backing vga), Mario Kart 64 did fine I thought, Mario 64 never should have been that high, sonic never should have been that high, halo never should have been that high.    All of those titles got way ahead of themselves.

Conversely, that SNES console at 66k did very well, the matte mario cib did well, the Urban Champion did very well and was very close to becoming (I think?) the first six figure game with b+ wrap, the clu clu land did very well (although the metroid HT was a let down), Twisted Metal at 150k was a very nice result, etc.

Anyways, that's just the top end of the market that you're focussing on, and I get it, that gets the headlines, but there were lots of things sub 25k that seemed very very strong.    18k for 9.6 x-men?   Are you kidding me?   That's not an incredible grade on a bad game that is very available.    Yeesh.

Anyways, to me, the prices this past weekend made much more sense than July of last year.    I can understand the prices for the most part, they make sense, and I can rationalize why someone would want to pay them.    Prices in July made zero sense, and everybody knew it even as it was happening.

It seems to me that part of the reason we are viewing it a bit differently is that you are a little more interested in n64 era, judging by the titles you mentioned, I am more focused on NES era.   

N64 titles were the most overvalued in July and have taken the biggest tumble as a result.      

Edited by Bronty

On 4/25/2022 at 6:13 PM, Dark Knight said:

Of course there were some games that sold higher, but overall, it wasn't as strong as sales from last year collectively.  The games you consigned, were they mostly if not all pop 1's at that grade and/or only a few copies graded in the pop report?  If so, then I can see why your consignments did well.  A few of the games that most collectors were shocked at were the chrono trigger 9.6, TMNT turtles in time 9.8, the VGA 95 of the Super Mario Land trio set, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 9.6's, Sonic 9.8, and Halo NFR 9.8 version, just to name a few all underperformed greatly compared to previous sales.  These are pretty big titles in the gaming collecting community.  Sure, I saw some that sold higher than expected, but the sentimental feeling of that auction this time around was overall a letdown.  

I knew that once the WATA pop reports are released, a number of these high profiled games would take a hit, especially those games that were made in the mid-late 90's and newer.  I think NES games have the better "investment" value in the long term.

I think this part was an edit, so I didn't see it, but I very much agree.

The strength in the mid 90s material surprised me, but it got so ahead of itself and wasn't grounded in the same kind of true scarcity. 

Edited by Bronty

On 4/25/2022 at 3:28 PM, Bronty said:

I thought the chrono result was fine, TMNT result was low, the SML set was a stupid idea (three 95s at once?  and with the market generally not backing vga), Mario Kart 64 did fine I thought, Mario 64 never should have been that high, sonic never should have been that high, halo never should have been that high.    All of those titles got way ahead of themselves.

Conversely, that SNES console at 66k did very well, the matte mario cib did well, the Urban Champion did very well and was very close to becoming (I think?) the first six figure game with b+ wrap, the clu clu land did very well (although the metroid HT was a let down), Twisted Metal at 150k was a very nice result, etc.

Anyways, that's just the top end of the market that you're focussing on, and I get it, that gets the headlines, but there were lots of things sub 25k that seemed very very strong.    18k for 9.6 x-men?   Are you kidding me?   That's not an incredible grade on a bad game that is very available.    Yeesh.

Anyways, to me, the prices this past weekend made much more sense than July of last year.    I can understand the prices for the most part, they make sense, and I can rationalize why someone would want to pay them.    Prices in July made zero sense, and everybody knew it even as it was happening.

It seems to me that part of the reason we are viewing it a bit differently is that you are a little more interested in n64 era, judging by the titles you mentioned, I am more focused on NES era.   

N64 titles were the most overvalued in July and have taken the biggest tumble as a result.      

Agreed 100% on the bolded. Prices back in July 2021 were artificially raised and yeah didn't make any sense.  Mostly any consignor who consigned their games that month made out like bandit with huge gains.  Now, prices are still high compared to pre-covid levels, but a little more reasonable I guess. The n64 games and newer like PS and XBOX climbed way to high and I knew it wasn't going to last.  Those who paid those prices last year are left holding a huge bag. 

My main focus is also on NES and SNES.  Those are the games I grew up playing as a kid and the ones that interest me the most. I was highlighting a few of the n64 games as examples that these shot up rather too high and fast and there was no way it would be sustainable in the long run.  I know for a fact that you are the video game expert on here so my observations can be off at times lol without having prior knowledge and years of experience.  I only got into this 3 years ago before the huge spike up in prices.  Glad I was able to buy some games back in 2019. 

2019 was still a terrific time to buy!   Congrats!   What’s your favorite pick up?  

I appreciate the kind words but the funny thing is I haven’t really collected avidly since 2007.     But I’ve certainly still kept an active hand in it.    However I’m mainly into the original box art now.   I just received one Id been trying to find and buy for 10 years so that was a great thrill. 

Edited by Bronty

On 4/25/2022 at 4:49 PM, Bronty said:

2019 was still a terrific time to buy!   Congrats!   What’s your favorite pick up?  

I appreciate the kind words but the funny thing is I haven’t really collected avidly since 2007.     But I’ve certainly still kept an active hand in it.    However I’m mainly into the original box art now.   I just received one Id been trying to find and buy for 10 years so that was a great thrill. 

Well, I had two favorite pick-ups.  I picked up an ungraded copy of Legend of Kage and a high graded copy of Bionic Commando.  I enjoyed playing both as a kid.  The Bionic Commando though was very challenging and only got so far in the game.  

On 4/25/2022 at 11:26 PM, Dark Knight said:

Well, I had two favorite pick-ups.  I picked up an ungraded copy of Legend of Kage and a high graded copy of Bionic Commando.  I enjoyed playing both as a kid.  The Bionic Commando though was very challenging and only got so far in the game.  

I personally have no interest in collecting video games, but I occasionally buy used Atari 2600 games to play on my old system. (I gave all of my Atari 2600 games to my brother, but I will occasionally set it up when I visit him and play a game or two for old times' sake.) I think that collectors are mostly buying unopened video games in sealed boxes. I hope that this collecting doesn't drive up the price of used games, which are still cheap (under $10 for the most part). It also seems like people are more into Nintendo games, so maybe Atari 2600 games won't be affected.

My brother is much younger than I am; he was into SNES and N64, and I played those with him quite a bit. I remember liking the N64 games better than the SNES games, but none of the systems that have come out since then seem noticeably better to me than the N64 system.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:26 PM, Dark Knight said:

The childhood pickups are always very satisfying.   Congrats !

On 4/25/2022 at 12:32 PM, sfcityduck said:
On 4/24/2022 at 8:18 PM, Dark Knight said:

It sure affected a lot of the video games from this weekend's signature auction. Most sold for around half off from all time highs last year.

There's been a lot of talk that the video game market was artificially inflated.  This might be the result.

This plus the fact that the video game market simply doesn't have the same long established history of buying and selling that the comic book marketplace has in order to more strongly support these kinds of prices that we've been seeing from last year.  (thumbsu

On 4/26/2022 at 9:28 AM, lou_fine said:

This plus the fact that the video game market simply doesn't have the same long established history of buying and selling that the comic book marketplace has in order to more strongly support these kinds of prices that we've been seeing from last year.  (thumbsu

Agreed 100%.  Might as well put VHS collecting into the fold lol 

On 4/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, twmjr1 said:

I know most issues of that title have been very hard to find for a long time

I think you answered your own question. People can make up any excuse they want on why they did or didn't pull the trigger on a book. But at the end of the day, either you own the book or you don't. That Fantastic Comics 20 only has 9 copies on the census, if I collected that title and saw that book I would over pay for it to and hope to upgrade later lol.

On 4/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, twmjr1 said:

OT: In last week's HA, a poor, incomplete copy of Fantastic Comics 20 sold for $576? WTH? I know most issues of that title have been very hard to find for a long time, but still....SMH.

Well, a related data point: a poor/incomplete Fantastic Comics #22 sold for $2500 or so last year. And come on, even a cheapskate like me has spent more than $576 on filler copies of early '40s books before. :) 

These later Fox superhero issues (late 1941-early 1942 era) just never come up. If you want a particular issue, you're quite lucky if you see one or two copies for sale in a year. 

On 4/26/2022 at 2:39 PM, twmjr1 said:

OT: In last week's HA, a poor, incomplete copy of Fantastic Comics 20 sold for $576? WTH? I know most issues of that title have been very hard to find for a long time, but still....SMH.

On 4/26/2022 at 6:57 PM, Point Five said:

Well, a related data point: a poor/incomplete Fantastic Comics #22 sold for $2500 or so last year. And come on, even a cheapskate like me has spent more than $576 on filler copies of early '40s books before. :) 

These later Fox superhero issues (late 1941-early 1942 era) just never come up. If you want a particular issue, you're quite lucky if you see one or two copies for sale in a year. 

I guess it's pretty much low those raw low grade copies of the pre-hero  Adventure and More Fun Comics with some of them even in restored condition that were still selling for thousands of dollars or 20+ condition guide value in a few of the Sunday auctions back in late February and March.  :applause:

Contrast that with the graded copies that came out in the April Signature Auction and they surprisingly did not do anywhere close to what the raw copies managed to fetched.  :whatthe: