• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,896 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I like to give @Mmehdygrief as much as the next guy(not really, Mitch), but I think there’s other things in play here. I think the crypto guys were responsible for the craziness we saw in the Promise Collection hammer prices, and they are in hiding at this particular moment, and their absence was felt tonight. 

I thought it was Mitch's old school collector friends who (extremely improbably) were the ones throwing huge sums of money at these books.

But hey, maybe they're one and the same.  It's equally probable that a bunch of guys in their 60s and 70s were making big bank from crypto.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Market correction? You be the judge!

A8E3A77E-648A-46B3-B624-08704A94F621.jpeg

D5F8D785-9649-4608-8ADF-928686FAB655.jpeg

Although I like to indulge in a bit of schadenfreude as much as the next guy, I don't think you can read too much from a small decline over a period of less than two months.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:43 PM, tth2 said:

Although I like to indulge in a bit of schadenfreude as much as the next guy, I don't think you can read too much from a small decline over a period of less than two months.

We will see. As a buyer, I actually want the prices to go down. I sold one book recently but that was an exception. I’m still in acquisition mode, at least until my 12 step program kicks in 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 5/13/2022 at 3:27 PM, szav said:

The mega keys and Promise books in the Palos Verde auction took an almost expected drop I’d say.. but what about the rest?  It actually looked like several books did really well relative to recent sales, and that overall everything was still very pricey.  Didn’t really see a lot of bargains in the  non men tights sort of books I track like the Spirit 22 etc.

Definitely not ready to declare that it’s correction time outside the millionaire’s books.

Funny you should mention the Spirit 22. You are right. I thought $6k was a strong price for a midgrade tan paged book. Great cover is why, I’m sure 

On 5/13/2022 at 1:05 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

We will see. As a buyer, I actually want the prices to go down. I sold one book recently but that was an exception. I’m still in acquisition mode, at least until my 12 step program kicks in 

See the source image

On 5/14/2022 at 7:20 AM, Robot Man said:

Books like Spirit #22 are simply iconic and just stand on their own. Fortunately, I realized that as a young budding collector. There are many obvious exceptions but books like this really stood out over many of their "men in tights" counterparts. And, it's a one and done.

I would go out on a limb and say, if you have a copy of this one you are lucky and or smart. Books like this might stabilize a bit or maybe even take a very slight down turn, but you will never be sorry you bought it. I have treasured mine since I first got it. 

comspirit22b.jpg

Love that a Legend signed a story he created called A Legend!

On 5/13/2022 at 7:35 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Love that a Legend signed a story he created called A Legend!

Indeed! Take a good look at that splash page. This issue isn’t great simply because of the iconic cover. Eisner was an incredible artist and designer as well. You can just hear that rain and feel it. Just amazing how much work and care was taken for a 10 cent throwaway comic book. 

On 5/12/2022 at 7:57 PM, szav said:

The Batman #1 4.0 at 264k went for less than a recent 2.5 too.  Still a pretty crazy price for a 4.0 relative to 2 years ago.  Not so much a crash as a mild tempering of the insanity.

I saw that. I wonder why that happened.

On 5/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, Professor K said:
On 5/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, szav said:

The Batman #1 4.0 at 264k went for less than a recent 2.5 too.  Still a pretty crazy price for a 4.0 relative to 2 years ago.  Not so much a crash as a mild tempering of the insanity.

I saw that. I wonder why that happened.

Well, as I had already stated in another thread on the GA boards here, any bets that this book along with many others from this particular collection would probably have gone for more money in a higher profile regularly scheduled Heritage Signature Auction with the usual big dollar eyeballs.  hm

Especially when this copy here was auctioned off in another one of these one-off standalone auctions (i.e. the Pablos Verdes Auction) where many of the regular Heritage clientale probably didn't even pay any attention at all to this particular auction here.  (shrug)

On 5/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, Dark Knight said:

Supes 1 CGC 5.0 sold for $720k..  A 3.0 sold at Goldin earlier this year for the same price :eek:

Do you have a link to this CGC 3.0 graded copy of Supes 1 that took place at Goldin earlier this year that sold at the same $720K price point?  (thumbsu

On 5/15/2022 at 12:16 AM, Robot Man said:

Indeed! Take a good look at that splash page. This issue isn’t great simply because of the iconic cover. Eisner was an incredible artist and designer as well. You can just hear that rain and feel it. Just amazing how much work and care was taken for a 10 cent throwaway comic book. 

His atmospherics are second to none. I discovered his work in the mid seventies at the local newsstand in my hometown in NJ where I'd buy my comics. I have a great memory of walking uptown on a cold winter night to pick up my comic fix. A copy of the Spirit was one of the purchases and had a fun wintry cover. As I left the newsstand and walked outside a light snow had started to fall. The town was quiet and I looked across the street at a large clock that stood on the corner of a bank building watching the snow slowly drift down. The atmosphere was truly deserving of an Eisner splash!

I had Mr. Eisner autograph my Warren Spirit #1 to my kids back in the early nineties. Such a gentleman to talk to at the old San Diego shows. Such great memories over the years.