• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,935 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, szav said:

Nothing seemed to do terrible today, but nothing was really outrageously high today either, though I don't track most of these books too closely so maybe I'm wrong,...but I would suspect todays winners were long time collectors, and not the much ballyhooed cryptobros.

It almost seemed like a normal GA market with the exception of a couple of Captain Americas.  

Its hard to get an internet bid with the lady auctioneer. She goes so fast. Sour grapes here I know but I hit the bid button the millisecond Lot Closing appeared then it closed instantly. The whole thing was over in like 8 seconds. The auctioneer prior practically was begging for another bid before banging down the hammer. To whomever won the Young Allies #1 , I want a do over:violin:. ...........Edit: Or maybe we can make a deal? Pretty please?:foryou:

Edited by Professor K

On 12/9/2022 at 7:42 PM, tth2 said:
On 12/9/2022 at 5:34 PM, Professor K said:

Most of the recent Fox books were low too until the auction began, then it was every man for himself.

If I had a dollar for every time Lou_Fine panicked about price levels prior to live bidding, I'd have been able to afford the MH Fantastic #3!

Well, it looks like this is one of the rare opportunities that I get to plead "Not Guilty" here since my post only suggested that there were a lot of Cap's and More Fun's in this auction here which there certainly are, and nothing all about the bid prices.  :bigsmile:

On 12/11/2022 at 1:29 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The Adventure DCs seemed low to me.  The Caps seemed ok, not outrageously high.  Caps are very much cover driven, with some getting lots of attention, and some not.  

They really did feel low, as even though prices for that run have been pretty stable I was expecting at least some notable increases. I would have bid on several of them but I was holding out for the large 21 golden age comic lot later in the day (which ended up going for more than I could afford). I regret passing on Adventure #56 at only $600.

The two Adventure #48 felt off to me; while the 5.0 hammer price of $6600 isn't the worst it does feel lower than ever (6.0s were pulling in $9k two-five years ago so I was thinking this as at least 7k). I feel the 3.0 hammer price is going to be a blight on the GPA for years now for anyone selling; people will just see that a Universal 3.0 sold for $3k and haggle from there without knowing it was both a brittle book AND was covered in millions of stamps making it an eye-sore to most collectors. Compare that to the 1.8 which sold for 4K in 2021 that had good PQ and looked very nice - which I felt was closer to the value, albeit slightly high.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 12/11/2022 at 3:09 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In that case, hold my beer, @lou_fine, while I say it for you: prices were a bit subdued today. Cap 1 went for 3 times OPG, Cap 3 went for 4 times OPG, and Cap 46 2 times OPG. Caps 36 and 37 showed surprising strength at 8 times OPG

i feel good about getting this one around 3 x OPG

B9F8F854-F899-4638-ADAB-5CF80F268A1F.jpeg

Captain America Comics #37 is on fire.

On 12/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, Sauce Dog said:

They really did feel low, as even though prices for that run have been pretty stable I was expecting at least some notable increases. I would have bid on several of them but I was holding out for the large 21 golden age comic lot later in the day (which ended up going for more than I could afford). I regret passing on Adventure #56 at only $600.

The two Adventure #48 felt off to me; while the 5.0 hammer price of $6600 isn't the worst it does feel lower than ever (6.0s were pulling in $9k two-five years ago so I was thinking this as at least 7k). I feel the 3.0 hammer price is going to be a blight on the GPA for years now for anyone selling; people will just see that a Universal 3.0 sold for $3k and haggle from there without knowing it was both a brittle book AND was covered in millions of stamps making it an eye-sore to most collectors. Compare that to the 1.8 which sold for 4K in 2021 that had good PQ and looked very nice - which I felt was closer to the value, albeit slightly high.

Only the earliest Flessel, Guardineer and O’Mealia covers hold much interest to me. The 44 is a great book with a great Sandman cover and actually sold for 15% more than a 2020 sale. The later Bailey covers seemed to go low?  They probably needed this back cover. 

AA5E16BD-8B6F-4AE3-97A7-867F11C905ED.jpeg

On 12/11/2022 at 4:55 PM, ThothAmon said:

Only the earliest Flessel, Guardineer and O’Mealia covers hold much interest to me. The 44 is a great book with a great Sandman cover and actually sold for 15% more than a 2020 sale. The later Bailey covers seemed to go low?  They probably needed this back cover. 

AA5E16BD-8B6F-4AE3-97A7-867F11C905ED.jpeg

NewLonelyAmericanbulldog-max-1mb.gif.3658e6b911db3fe015a05b70d0156587.gif

On 12/9/2022 at 10:50 AM, lou_fine said:

Took a look at this weekend's Signature Auction that's closing tomorrow and all I can say is that Captain America is sure having a whole lot More Fun in this particular auction here. :luhv:  :cloud9:  

On 12/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like this is one of the rare opportunities that I get to plead "Not Guilty" here since my post only suggested that there were a lot of Cap's and More Fun's in this auction here which there certainly are, and nothing all about the bid prices.  :bigsmile:

Oh. I thought you meant the Caps were getting a lot more action early on than the More Funs were. Sure that's not what you meant? hm

On 12/12/2022 at 7:33 AM, Professor K said:
On 12/9/2022 at 11:50 PM, lou_fine said:

Took a look at this weekend's Signature Auction that's closing tomorrow and all I can say is that Captain America is sure having a whole lot More Fun in this particular auction here. :luhv:  :cloud9:  

Oh. I thought you meant the Caps were getting a lot more action early on than the More Funs were. Sure that's not what you meant? hm

That was my interpretation too.  I wasn't actually tracking the prices of the Caps or More Funs.  In fact, I didn't even know they were in the auction.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:42 AM, buttock said:

It almost seemed like a normal GA market with the exception of a couple of Captain Americas.  

Probably had a lot to do with the fact this this auction had just the normal GA books from the Big 2 that were popular with the long time collectors from way back in the day, as opposed to the more recent "hot to trot" classic cover books from the smaller 2nd tier GA publishers that the new big money seems to be much more excited about.  hm  (shrug)

On 12/11/2022 at 6:38 PM, tth2 said:

That was my interpretation too.  I wasn't actually tracking the prices of the Caps or More Funs.  In fact, I didn't even know they were in the auction.

Wait. What? How? Oh come on!

On 12/11/2022 at 4:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Probably had a lot to do with the fact this this auction had just the normal GA books from the Big 2 that were popular with the long time collectors from way back in the day, as opposed to the more recent "hot to trot" classic cover books from the smaller 2nd tier GA publishers that the new big money seems to be much more excited about.  hm  (shrug)

And the new money was going for SA & what's cool on IG.  It takes a real stick in the mud to like GA DC

On 12/11/2022 at 3:33 PM, Professor K said:
On 12/9/2022 at 7:50 AM, lou_fine said:

On 12/11/2022 at 3:38 PM, tth2 said:
On 12/11/2022 at 3:33 PM, Professor K said:

No, nothing more than my poor attempt at humor and a play on words (i.e. note the bolded titles) to point out the fact that this auction was top heavy with both Cap books at something like 68 issues and the early More Fun superhero books at something like 27 issues, including the early key biggies in their run.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/25/2022 at 7:24 PM, szav said:

This mini DC/Spectre signature auction is off to a roaring start for a few of the books including this one up over 150k fairly early on.  Some pretty sweet books and OA in this auction.

image.thumb.png.194ae88d5d71a8e216f8bc481f8d763b.png

On 11/26/2022 at 6:53 AM, D84 said:

My guess is 500k+

On 11/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, Dark Knight said:

A 3.0 is around a 100k, I believe it's the last unrestored copy that sold publicly. 

$500k+ for the 8.5 is certainly accurate unless something weird happens between now and the final minutes 😆 

With the result on the More Fun 52 today, does this mean that $264K is the new $500K or did something weird happened in the final few minutes of the auction?  :whatthe:  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/11/2022 at 7:09 PM, lou_fine said:

With the result on the More Fun 52 today, does this mean that $264K is the new $500K or did something weird happen in the final few minutes?  :whatthe:  :(

Honestly, I thought all the Spectre More Funs under performed.

On 12/3/2022 at 10:30 PM, lou_fine said:
On 12/3/2022 at 3:10 PM, Professor K said:

If that Cap 3 8.0 doesn't reach 100k I'll eat my hat. And it's one of these hat's, so yeah. 

1576afd9866da90685a13fe5e2752ff4.jpg

Expand  

That hat's only fit for old Hossie there.............................how about one of these slightly larger size hats instead to whet your little appetite:  :drool:   lol

Big Hat Pictures | Download Free Images on Unsplash

When compared to the Spectre More Fun's, some here would say the Cap 3 also underperformed, even though $90K is probably still a record price for this grade from Heritage's point of view.  (thumbsu

The consolation being that it means a yummy din din for somebody..................will you take that with salt & pepper and a bottle of ketchup:  lol