• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

Methinks it isn't just the Promise books that are getting soft grades these days. These are the notes for this 8.0 copy of Tec 192:

CGC Grader Notes:
light spine stress lines to cover
piece out left bottom of back cover
small, multiple tear left bottom of back cover
staple detached top of front cover
staple rusted bottom of interior spine

I don't think I've ever seen a book with a detached staple get a universal 8.0 grade before.

tec192.jpg

On 12/25/2022 at 4:53 PM, szav said:

I've noticed multiple high grades on recently graded GA that you wouldn't think should qualify.  I am grateful the graders notes are free now, as it would be much worse if you had to pay extra to find out some of these flaws that weren't readily apparent from looking at scans.  It's nice that you're not going to get hosed if you actually pay attention, but it does basically ruin the census to have books with these grades that don't seem to deserve them.

image.png.fb6653372d9c3f0d78a7e009b7976ff4.png

-------------------------------------------------------------

image.png.b165c81bb2c36d0a338f05f7387239b7.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

image.png.bf3076dc187d0acfea18859ea6058d88.png

It seems like every company as been understaffed over the last couple of years. I think CGC has been forced to hire people they wouldn't have to settle for in a normal economy, and now they have a bunch of people who don't know how to grade or who just don't care. That's my theory, anyway. If graders are putting in overtime to try to keep up with orders, it could also be that those graders are burnt out. There have been periods of soft grading before—the pendulum swings back and forth—but nothing like this.

On 12/26/2022 at 9:13 AM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:
On 12/23/2022 at 11:25 AM, tth2 said:

This is the weakest Signature Auction in ages.

Any thoughts on why this is a weak auction?  

Maybe a combination of market saturation and consignors not wanting to consign to a January auction? 

On 12/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, buttock said:
On 12/22/2022 at 7:25 PM, tth2 said:

This is the weakest Signature Auction in ages.

Going monthly dilutes the pool, but you've got a HG Bat 1, pedigree Supe 1, and a heaping helping of OA.  That's pretty good for a monthly. 

Didn't see any type of announcement on this increased frequency change to their Signature Auctions, but are you quite sure that they are now going to Monthly Signature Auctions?  ???

Or are you including their recently implemented Showcase Auctions as part of their Signature Auction line?  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/26/2022 at 12:15 AM, lou_fine said:

Didn't see any type of announcement on this increased frequency change to their Signature Auctions, but are you quite sure that they are now going to Monthly Signature Auctions?  ???

Or are you including their recently implemented Showcase Auctions as part of their Signature Auction line?  (shrug)

I don't know that there was an announcement, but they now have had signature auctions in November, December, and January.  

On 12/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, buttock said:
On 12/25/2022 at 11:15 PM, lou_fine said:

I don't know that there was an announcement, but they now have had signature auctions in November, December, and January.  

Yes, they had their Signature Auctions in November and also the one coming up in January, similar to what they had in 2021/22.  (thumbsu

If I am correct, the one that they had in December was what they called a Fox Comics Showcase Auction and now they have one coming up in February 2023 call the Good Girl /Bad Girl Valentine's Showcase Auction.  Looks like they are having more of these "focused theme" auctions intersperse between their Signature Auctions here.  hm

Totally agree with your point though that there's just too many auctions nowadays which tends to dilute some of their main feature Signature Auctions.  :frown:

On 12/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, they had their Signature Auctions in November and also the one coming up in January, similar to what they had in 2021/22.  (thumbsu

If I am correct, the one that they had in December was what they called a Fox Comics Showcase Auction and now they have one coming up in February 2023 call the Good Girl /Bad Girl Valentine's Showcase Auction.  Looks like they are having more of these "focused theme" auctions intersperse between their Signature Auctions here.  hm

Totally agree with your point though that there's just too many auctions nowadays which tends to dilute some of their main feature Signature Auctions.  :frown:

There was one in December also with all the More Funs, Spectre art, etc., that was titled a signature auction.  

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+790+231+4294939029&ic=Items-ClosedAuctions-Closed-BrowseCatalog-051914

When Heritage started auctioning comics, I took a brief look at their operating model.  They were pretty much a coin/currency only auction house, doing $600M per year.  They held auctions at every major coin show and had $10M+ sales every couple weeks.

Prediction:  Heritage is not going to slow down.  They almost certainly would prefer to run more big auctions and could care less about the impact on "allure".

On 12/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, adamstrange said:

When Heritage started auctioning comics, I took a brief look at their operating model.  They were pretty much a coin/currency only auction house, doing $600M per year.  They held auctions at every major coin show and had $10M+ sales every couple weeks.

Prediction:  Heritage is not going to slow down.  They almost certainly would prefer to run more big auctions and could care less about the impact on "allure".

Yup.  It's the realtor model.  Every sale is money, therefore make more sales.  

On 12/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, adamstrange said:

Reminds me of a life insurance agent I once knew in Hong Kong who had absolutely amazing top and bottom line numbers for themselves when they first started in the business decades ago.  As the years went by, although the top and bottom line numbers for the company sky rocketed, the numbers for the individual agents didn't follow suit as the company were simply hiring more and more agents on commission who only ended up cannibalizing each other to gain their sales.  :(

So, no doubt that Heritage is concerned about THEIR corporate top and bottom line numbers and could care less about the top and bottom line numbers for their individual consignors.  hm

On 12/26/2022 at 11:26 AM, buttock said:

There was one in December also with all the More Funs, Spectre art, etc., that was titled a signature auction.  

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+790+231+4294939029&ic=Items-ClosedAuctions-Closed-BrowseCatalog-051914

Yes, there are now so many when you also take CL and CC into account that you simply can't keep track of them anymore.  :ohnoez: