• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2023 at 1:24 AM, Dark Knight said:

I might be in the minority here, but I believe there is an ever nicer copy than the Punch 12 CGC 8.0 that sold. I wonder if there is a copy in BZ's collection? hm. If I had a lot of money to spend on a Punch 12, I definitely would not have gone that high of a bid. 

If a higher graded copy surfaces, that would literally kill the value of the Crowley copy I think. Too much risk for that price point. 

They're out there. Even if not as nice as this 8.0 there are plenty that are darn close I bet. I think we're at a point where the people that have books like this, even multiple copies, still not slabbed are never going to send them to CGC. If they haven't by now they probaby never will. 

Wow, clearly a record price for a non-pedigree copy of this book here and certainly signals continuing strong demand and strength for the early Fox books:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/wonderworld-comics-11-fox-1940-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/7341-92127.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Wonderworld Comics #11 (Fox, 1940) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

Sold for a rather stunning $22,800 and I imagine the owner of the Church CGC 9.6 highest graded copy must be ecstatic with this result here.  :banana:

On 9/14/2023 at 11:49 PM, Professor K said:

I think we're at a point where the people that have books like this, even multiple copies, still not slabbed are never going to send them to CGC. If they haven't by now they probaby never will. 

Oh yes they will, whenever it comes time to sell them off and almost certanly just one at a time in order to maintain a buoyant marketplace.  (thumbsu

Absolutely no reason at all to slab them before since increasing the population count with your multiple copies will only serve to depress their values going forward.  hm  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/15/2023 at 12:10 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Sold for a little less than a previous 7.0 went for in early 2022.

It's not so much that. Just irks me Baker's name is (still) misattributed to something he didn't draw, using his name to jack up the worth even more.

Good discussion/breakdown revolving around it here

On 9/15/2023 at 9:29 AM, LadyDeath said:

It's not so much that. Just irks me Baker's name is (still) misattributed to something he didn't draw, using his name to jack up the worth even more.

Ok gotcha, well you might want to lobby with CGC to have it removed from the label lol

On 9/15/2023 at 11:29 AM, LadyDeath said:

Everything I thought I knew is wrong??!!

On 9/15/2023 at 11:29 AM, LadyDeath said:

What next?  They're going to tell me Pluto isn't a planet?  Lord, save me. :(

On 9/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, october said:

Very, very strong horror prices. 

Are you talking about in this auction or just in general?  In this latest auction going on at Heritage, I'm seeing some doozy prices on PCH.  I'm thinking at least some of this can be attributed to the high-grade stuff from the Feed Store Collection, but I've been seeing stronger prices for some of the more recognizable covers in horror for at least a couple of months now.  I don't bid on big items, but even mid-grade stuff, which is where I usually dwell, I'm starting to feel I don't have a chance. lol.  I'm happy as a pig in slop to have won a Witches Tales #23 not long ago that was sort of a PCH personal grail for me.

On 9/16/2023 at 3:50 PM, Telegan said:

Are you talking about in this auction or just in general?  In this latest auction going on at Heritage, I'm seeing some doozy prices on PCH.  I'm thinking at least some of this can be attributed to the high-grade stuff from the Feed Store Collection, but I've been seeing stronger prices for some of the more recognizable covers in horror for at least a couple of months now.  I don't bid on big items, but even mid-grade stuff, which is where I usually dwell, I'm starting to feel I don't have a chance. lol.  I'm happy as a pig in slop to have won a Witches Tales #23 not long ago that was sort of a PCH personal grail for me.

Lots of strong prices lately, but this auction seemed to kick it up another level. Tons of lots went for well above my expectations.

On 9/15/2023 at 12:06 AM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

Agree.  Although it was a bit odd.  All the Promise Detective Comics took a bath ranging from 10-45%.  However, the Promise Action Comics had four issues that sold for more (including Action Comics #100 which previously sold for $12K but sold for $20.4K in this auction).  Four that saw little change, three that suffered about a 15% decline and four  issues that saw declines of 30% or more.  Not sure why the Detectives took a bigger hit than the Actions.  Perhaps, their previous prices were more inflated during the frenzy of 2021.  

The Actions went a little low the first time. I recall that there was very little action (no pun intended) in the first few minutes of one of the Saturday Promise auctions, and with few live bidders the auctioneer burned through the Promise Actions within minutes. Anybody who logged in a few minutes late would have missed the opportunity to bid on them.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 9/16/2023 at 4:57 PM, Telegan said:

Here's another example.  Web of Evil #6.  Speaking personally, I wouldn't bid this much for that comic, but there are only 18 of these CGC-slabbed (Universal) and this is the highest-graded one yet, so I understand a price premium, I guess :

image.thumb.png.9781d33d43d7e753719d873653f17592.png

I was interested, but not at that price. That 7.5 could easily be surpassed eventually. Mid-grade copies of that issue are common. How rare can high-grade copies really be?

My copy of #10 is still the highest-graded copy in the census. I paid $300 for it. My #19 is tied for highest-graded; that one was $180.

2304161508441.jpg

0201171137581.jpg