• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2024 at 9:04 PM, batman_fan said:

Pro tip, don't search for that term on Google

Now I'm going to have to STOP myself, I was just going to Google, because I had absolutely NO idea what anyone was talking about. I just figured maybe it was kind of scarce because I have rarely seen one.

On 1/14/2024 at 5:10 PM, sartrexpress said:

Everything is an auction now... auctions are never a barometer of true value, especially now that unseasoned buyers have entered the hobby. ( when I bid I'm always struck with the feeling that its  just one other person bidding against me.. arggg...and in truth there are not too many high dollar collectors out there)... Also, the quest for the highest graded copy at a premium can be a detriment to the hobby as CGC is still relatively young. We all know there are many great collections out there that have not been graded. As a "collector" I would rather have a nice solid high grade book that I can enjoy, but at the same time I am willing to pay a premium as a "collector" if its something that supports my collection as a whole.  The best collections formed in any genre are made by people who are passionate about that genre and do not see it as an investment. 

An excellent point that's also an enigma wrapped within an enigma. While auctions are never a barometer of true value, they're almost always a barometer of market value.  Convention wall sales and LCS sales are rarely reported to analysts (GPS, GoCollect, etc.) because they're infrequently acknowledged publicly. In fact, some sales are still perceived as proprietary information.  Raw sales also slip through the cracks along with some non-CGC third party graded sales even though that's improving.  As collectors, we all live on a Ouija board.

Being passionate about collecting is also serendipitous to checking the pulse of the market, taking into account the limitations of making assessments based on periodic auction sales, pedigree values, census data and sales data of comparable grades/grade bumps over the years.  Steven, your collection is beautiful to behold and taste in high quality books second to none.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:43 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

My collection is fairly modest, but I try to think of the money I put into it as money spent, not money invested. The way I look at it, many people spend money on hobbies such as travel, skydiving, taking singing lessons—you name it. Most people are content to reap some enjoyment from their hobbies with no hope of recouping any of the money. Why should collecting comics be any different?

I don't think the hobby is going to collapse any time soon, but I do think prices could cool off over time as older collectors bow out. Somebody commented that if I believe that, I should sell my collection, which completely misses the point. I try not to go crazy with my purchases—I can't fathom spending $19K on a mid-grade Tec 47, for instance (that's mind boggling)—but I still buy. It would be difficult to enjoy the hobby without making some new purchases.

You have a superb collection and a healthy outlook on the hobby, IMO.

If anything, my collecting purchases have become more carefully orchestrated, ...sorta like a chamber orchestra as opposed to symphonic.

:cheers:

On 1/14/2024 at 10:43 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I can't fathom spending $19K on a mid-grade Tec 47

I'm told someone's cat did it. Not even a pure bred. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/14/2024 at 9:51 AM, jimjum12 said:
On 1/13/2024 at 5:09 PM, atomised said:

Any ideas why this book sold wildly way above recent comps?

Screenshot 2024-01-13 170729.jpg

It's a rare Batman "Shock Corner" cover. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

lol I was going to say something similar that this may be the 1st ever "role reversal" cover between Batman and Robin

On 1/13/2024 at 5:09 PM, atomised said:

Any ideas why this book sold wildly way above recent comps?

Screenshot 2024-01-13 170729.jpg

Swagglehaus (Mickey Finnegan) on You Tube actually covered this suspicious sale recently.  He suggested that perhaps there may be some money laundering going on.  Automatic Comics (Ryan) on You Tube also noticed exorbitant prices being paid for "run filler" DC books on Heritage.  For example, 2 weeks ago, he pointed out three Teen Titans issues at 9.8 selling for between $12K- $21K each.   A few months ago, he pointed a Superman #35 CGC 7.5 selling for $5K and a Superman $45 CGC 6.0 selling for about $4k.  Something was definitely off with all these sales given that it takes "two to tango" to reach these prices so it can't be just one "dumb bidder".  It should be noted that Heritage is not obligated to report auction transactions to the IRS which tends to give some credence to Swagglehaus' suggestion that money laundering may be at work.  

On 1/11/2024 at 11:10 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Bats 1 was a shocker

image.thumb.png.4612357c69fd72209a2a70ccf90c8281.png

On 1/11/2024 at 11:26 AM, batman_fan said:

You think it went cheap?

I made someone pay more for the Batman 50 in 9.6 :whee:

So, are the two of you taking umbrage to what Barry stated and wondering what he was smoking whe he made this comment on Scoop:  (:

All of the biggest books in the Platinum Session met our expectations – and, in many cases, exceeded them,” Heritage Vice President Barry Sandoval exclusively told Scoop. 

I assume both of you are thinking the Bat 1 sould have gone markedly higher than the $630K that it managed to fetched.  I would tend to agree with you even though I think the CGC 8.0 Larson copy of Bat 1 that was laddered all the way up to $2M on Rally Road might be a misleading barometer to be gauging Bat 1 sales on.  hm  (shrug)

Bat 1 notwithstanding, has the market heat cycled back to the early Batman 'Tec books as I thought a few of them did surprisingly strong:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/detective-comics-31-dc-1939-cgc-apparent-vg-40-moderate-c-3-off-white-pages/a/7358-92026.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115

image.png.0a3e07198ef64ac7655e40ab9720560c.png

With examples being $48K paid for the above Moderate Restored (C3) CGC 4.0 copy of 'Tec 31 and $33.6K for a detached split cover CGC 1.8 copy of 'Tec 38 below:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/detective-comics-38-dc-1940-cgc-gd-18-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7358-92029.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

image.png.d9344458a27d8bf2b2431b52af77eb0a.png

Definitely not as crazy as the $19.2K paid for the aforementioned 'Tec 47, but I thought the $45.6K paid for this Twilight copy of 'Tec 40 was a good result for the consignor, considering it's not that visually appealing for a CGC 6.5 graded copy:  :p

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/detective-comics-40-twilight-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-fn-65-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7358-92030.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

image.png.25d2ac012a8fc2dc6ac875cdc1751cff.png

On 1/14/2024 at 5:21 PM, szav said:

Lot of strong results this weekend.  Glad to see this deserving book get it's due, really have never understood how it wasn't already a designated classic cover.  Not much of a PCH collector myself, but I just love how the villain is popping out of the cover coming at the viewer with a bloody knife.  

I know it's not uncommon for the 4th wall to be broken for GA comic covers, but it's usually "Hey kids buy war bonds" not "I'm coming for you next".  Are there any other pre-code horror books that come to mind for anyone that have a similar set up?

I know its' the Church copy and highest graded, but with the miscut and top edge shadow I wasn't expecting 18k.  This result certainly cements the regrets of many who sold a copy and may have been entertaining the idea of getting one back.

image.png.ebbdf3460a05ac66324bac291935c9cc.png

The real winner among the Shadows was this Okajima book, which used to be a 7.0.

Screenshot_20240118-100735~2.png

Screenshot_20240118-094544~2.png

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/18/2024 at 10:08 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The real winner among the Shadows was this Okajima book, which used to be a 7.0.

Screenshot_20240118-100735~2.png

Screenshot_20240118-094544~2.png

Biggest grade bump I ever seeen. 2 tier bump I can see sometimes, like the Crowly Power #3 former 5.5 now 7.5 that sold again in the same auction. Sure it looked undergraded at 5.5. But a 7.0 morphed into a 9.4? What are the implications of CGC's accuracy, competence, and/or credibility when one see's something like this? Back when CGC became a thing I was really agianst it. For years. I felt this way for reasons I won't get into because who really care's what some guy in the innernet thinks. No offense to the business or the graders but when we see this kind of stuff what are we to think? 

On 1/18/2024 at 1:30 PM, Professor K said:

No offense to the business or the graders but when we see this kind of stuff what are we to think? 

That, for some reason, the first time it was graded they deducted for the writing on the cover.