• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,935 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2024 at 10:13 PM, Telegan said:

To make up for the poopy book, at least you have some sexy granite.  What is that?  Ubatuba? lol.

I believe you are correct.  It is a bit dated these days.

On 1/29/2024 at 8:34 PM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

The jump in grade from 7.0 to 9.4 for the Okajima book certainly sounds mind boggling but the 7.0 looks to me that it was under graded.

Personally, I find that the grading companies provide a valuable service despite the recent reholder scandal and this issue with the Okajima book.  I don't trust any dealer to grade a book accurately.  The temptation to over grade is too great and every sight unseen purchase that I have made has been a disappointment.  With most of the premium stuff being sold at auction and through the internet, I welcome companies such as CGC.

I agree that grading companies provide a valuable service, as they provide a 3rd party grade and resto check, but that said, I don't think it's fair to lump all dealers in the same bucket. I've purchased from &/or wouldn't hesitate to purchase raw books from some dealers like Bob Storms (highgradecomics), Mr. Bedrock (bedrockcity.com), James Payette (jamespayettecomics.com), and mycomicshop.com (which even has a reputation for undergrading), to name a few. No offense to anyone that I left off; just naming a few that came to my mind first...

Edited by Superman2006

On 1/30/2024 at 7:41 AM, batman_fan said:

I believe you are correct.  It is a bit dated these days.

Nonsense.  It's what I have, too.  I hear it's actually still pretty popular (after talking to a guy in the kitchen countertop business).

Anyhoo... I've derailed enough.  Let's get back to more of the poopy comics so I can live vicariously through you guys. :D

On 1/30/2024 at 2:28 PM, Telegan said:

Nonsense.  It's what I have, too.  I hear it's actually still pretty popular (after talking to a guy in the kitchen countertop business).

Anyhoo... I've derailed enough.  Let's get back to more of the poopy comics so I can live vicariously through you guys. :D

Quartz with matched panel walnut

IMG_5897.jpeg

Well, I would definitely have to say this certainly looks like a very strong jaw dropping price ot $18K or more than 3X condition guide value for what is not only a Moderate Restored book, but also one flagged with the normally much dreaded and value killing Brittle Pages PQ designation:  :jawdrop:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-3-timely-1941-cgc-apparent-fr-gd-15-moderate-c-3-brittle-pages/a/122405-19063.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

image.png.f78b887ad4cd738520283287506f0f42.png

Then again, I guess it shows the strength for an affordable entry level copy of Cap 3 which is clearly the second most valuable GA Cap book.  :luhv:

On 1/30/2024 at 9:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I would definitely have to say this certainly looks like a very strong jaw dropping price ot $18K or more than 3X condition guide value for what is not only a Moderate Restored book, but also one flagged with the normally much dreaded and value killing Brittle Pages PQ designation:  :jawdrop:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-3-timely-1941-cgc-apparent-fr-gd-15-moderate-c-3-brittle-pages/a/122405-19063.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Then again, I guess it shows the strength for an affordable entry level copy of Cap 3 which is clearly the second most valuable GA Cap book.  :luhv:

For every high grade deep pocketed collector, there are a hundred po folks who just want a copy. Low grade sometimes out pace high grade percentage wise because of it.

This doesn’t seem like the case though. Especially with fragile pages. 

So I got this email today... does anyone have any idea what the big announcement is going to be tomorrow?

Heritage Auctions
Comic announcment

At noon Central Time, tomorrow, Thursday February 1, a major highlight of our April Comic Auction will be announced!

We can confidently say you won't be disappointed.

Go to Instagram.com/heritagecomics.

Sincerely,

Barry Sandoval
Vice President
Comics and Comic Art
BarryS@HA.com
Heritage Auctions
2801 W. Airport Freeway
Dallas, Texas 75261
214-409-1665
Edited by EastEnd1

On 1/31/2024 at 10:12 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Heritage will cease to charge BP

Heritage will guarantee that no shill bidding will occur in the auction.

All kidding aside, it's hard to imagine any comic other than the highest-graded Tec 27 or Action 1 being worthy of a special announcement, so maybe it's the original art to a key book.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/30/2024 at 11:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Dean, I think it only went for $8k

On 1/31/2024 at 9:13 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Heritage will guarantee that no shill bidding will occur in the auction.

All kidding aside, it's hard to imagine any comic other than the highest-graded Tec 27 or Action 1 being worthy of a special announcement, so maybe it's the original art to a key book.

I think any offering of any Action 1 or Tec 27 book(not even original art to them) ought to be preceded by someone like the Silver Surfer, throwing rose petals in the path

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 1/30/2024 at 9:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I would definitely have to say this certainly looks like a very strong jaw dropping price of $18K :facepalm: or more than 3X condition guide value for what is not only a Moderate Restored book, but also one flagged with the normally much dreaded and value killing Brittle Pages PQ designation:  :jawdrop:  :applause:

On 1/31/2024 at 8:59 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Dean, I think it only went for $8k

Clearly a typo on my part as it went for still a whopping $8,400 or as I had said, slightly more than 3X condition guide for a Moderate Restored copy with Brittle Pages.  (thumbsu

Now, if it had gone for $18K, than that indeed would have been a real shocker since that would have been closer to 7X condition guide value. :whatthe:

On 1/31/2024 at 6:16 PM, EastEnd1 said:

So I got this email today... does anyone have any idea what the big announcement is going to be tomorrow?

Heritage Auctions
Comic announcment

At noon Central Time, tomorrow, Thursday February 1, a major highlight of our April Comic Auction will be announced!

We can confidently say you won't be disappointed.

Go to Instagram.com/heritagecomics.

Sincerely,

Barry Sandoval
Vice President
Comics and Comic Art
BarryS@HA.com
Heritage Auctions
2801 W. Airport Freeway
Dallas, Texas 75261
214-409-1665

something is going to break records...price wise!