• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,931 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2024 at 9:38 AM, batman_fan said:

My flow is

1.  Look at the book (some lower grade look really nice)

2.  Look at the grade (this will say how much it will cost)

3.  Look at the grader’s notes.  I am shocked at how many books I was interested in that had popped staples.  Recent example was the last round out Adventure Sandman cover books.

Me too, in that order basically. 

On 2/28/2024 at 9:58 AM, ThothAmon said:

I’d say the grading is arbitrary and capricious but that doesn’t jibe when your books are always the bridesmaids?

IMG_6517.jpeg

IMG_0152.jpeg

Great looking Detective 13. Wow. 

On 2/28/2024 at 3:47 PM, tth2 said:

Par for the course for the Promise books.  

However, I need to check Master Chief's list as this may be one of the first super hero Timelys to be resold.  If so, it shows that they're not immune to the standard Promise price correction either.  

Checking back on the most recent list, there have been some previous Timely superhero resales, but only a few compared to resales of almost complete runs of DCs and others.  Mostly Captain Americas and Marvel Mysterys, along with a Sub-Mariner and All Winners.  A few have actually been flipped for a profit, but for the most part most resold at a loss, although generally for less than the average loss on all books.

On 2/28/2024 at 12:26 PM, Robot Man said:

Even more so with post WWII Nedors. The non WWII Schomburg “crime” covers have a lot less interest to me and I only pick them up when cheap. They pick back up with the Xela covers though. 

I've always felt like Schomburg was "mailing it in" with most of his non-Timely comic book covers. Maybe the other publishers didn't pay him as much for the work.

On 2/10/2024 at 10:09 AM, woowoo said:

:whatthe: I never even noticed this. I only looked at the Superman pages and centerfold that's not a 9.0 at all Thanks.

The only reason this is in a 9.0 and not an 8.5 is persistence from the old submitter. Even the 8.5 is generous

Edited by thedagger

On 2/29/2024 at 10:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I've always felt like Schomburg was "mailing it in" with most of his non-Timely comic book covers. Maybe the other publishers didn't pay him as much for the work.

Real Life Comics #3 is a great, standout non-Timely.  While Schomburg (like most other artists) generally humiliated or otherwise softened Hitler's presense on the covers (perhaps to help build morale when things looked bleak in Europe), RLC3 is one of the few that told it like it was:  An emboldened and defiant Hitler on top of the world, as the Emperor of Hate responsible for concentration camps, while hugging a human skull. Feelings are so strong when it comes to Hitler that a cover like RLC3 almost doesn't feel right as a subject of appreciation, as if the only appropriate covers are the one's trying to bring him down.  But I prefer a good dose of reality every now and then, too!  And RLC3 provided that in spades at a special time (early 1942).  The man was bad news, not just a popular comic foil, so kudos to the publisher (Nedor Publications) for keeping it real.     

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/29/2024 at 2:57 PM, thedagger said:

The only reason this is in a 9.0 and not an 8.5 is persistence from the old submitter. Even the 8.5 is generous

Oh, come on now and that's hardly even noticeable, but most important of all, you DO realize that CGC never knows who the submittor(s) of the books are which allows them to give a truly independent and unbiased 3rd party grade for each book.  :gossip:  

Being a relative newbie to the boards here, that tiny little divot there is like a pimple compared to some of the cover to cover mouse chews that we have seen on some of the CGC 8.5's and 9.0's which coincidentally just happened to be submitted by Heritage.  :devil:

On 2/27/2024 at 8:41 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I never could figure out how a non-war cover got that price in the first place 

On 2/27/2024 at 8:58 PM, batman_fan said:

Definitely one of the "goofier" covers

Bat 25? I like it but everytime I see it I think of Johnny Cash. That's not even a joke, I really do. Love is a burnin thing.

On 2/28/2024 at 12:05 PM, comicjack said:

Two Punch 12's in the next auction seems to much which is getting like the Mask books to me.I fear the sellers don't make out when this happens we will see.:bigsmile:

Yep, a 4.5 and 5.5. You're right they really shouldn't do that. Also the 4.5 SB will probably go before the 5.5 C/OW which will hurt the 4.5 even more I believe. If it was to go after the 5.5 it probably would get at least a few bids from the underbidders of the 5.5. I mean why go for a SB when a Cream is coming up in like 10 seconds. 

On 3/2/2024 at 3:15 AM, Professor K said:

Bat 25? I like it but everytime I see it I think of Johnny Cash. That's not even a joke, I really do. Love is a burnin thing.

Yep, a 4.5 and 5.5. You're right they really shouldn't do that. Also the 4.5 SB will probably go before the 5.5 C/OW which will hurt the 4.5 even more I believe. If it was to go after the 5.5 it probably would get at least a few bids from the underbidders of the 5.5. I mean why go for a SB when a Cream is coming up in like 10 seconds. 

You got that right :bigsmile:

On 3/2/2024 at 7:24 AM, comicjack said:

You got that right :bigsmile:

Edit- I think the 5.5 will go before the 4.5. So, nevermind.

Edited by Professor K

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 7:50 PM, batman_fan said:

Saw this POS show up.

Seriously. Heritage needs to up their game. :sick:

I would suggest they start taking the example of ComicConnect both in quality and the new 'no image policy'.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/4/2024 at 3:22 PM, DanCooper said:

If 1.5 mil is the ceiling, then it will be a half mil loss:

https://www.comiclink.com/service_text.asp?3673

Could happen. It is only Iron Man. $2M was a crazy number, and the buyer looks even crazier when the book's being flipped within a year. Maybe he figured out that the Iron Man movies are done? I don't get it at all. Fortunately, the short term capital gains rate will only be applied to the sellers profit over $2M, if any (but Heritage's fees will apply to the full purchase price).

On 3/4/2024 at 5:27 PM, szav said:

No respect.  I’m guessing that due to the MCU Iron Man is a solid number 3 behind only Spider-Man and Wolverine in terms of popularity with Gen X and younger comic/marvel fans.  ToS 39 is surely the ugliest of the Marvel mega keys though.

I'd say Captain America rates above Iron Man. 

On 3/5/2024 at 1:46 AM, sfcityduck said:

I'd say Captain America rates above Iron Man. 

Not among younger MCU fans. I left engineering about 15 years ago in order to work in education, and since then I have regularly worked with Millenials and now Zoomers. I never run into any who collect comic books, but I regularly chat with younger people who are fans of the movies. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and Spider-Man get mentioned far more often than Captain America, whom the younger kids seem to find boring. Wolverine was popular among people my age (Gen-Xers) but there has never been that much awareness of the character among my students. 

It seems like there's always more of a focus on characters from recent movies, but even when the Avengers movies were all the rage, Captain America didn't seem to spark much interest. Deadpool doesn't get mentioned as much as he did when the movie came out, but even he would probably rank ahead of Captain America among the Millenials and Zoomers.