• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,857 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2024 at 10:00 PM, Professor K said:

Sunday night auction. Yikes.:o

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-31_215859_comics.ha.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-31_215833_gocollect.com.png

As someone who hunted for years and finally snagged a copy, I can attest to how tough it is, but this is a shocker.

Appreciate my copy even more now 

Edited by sagii

On 3/31/2024 at 7:00 PM, Professor K said:

Yikes is right, but I imagine it's all about the so-called "classic cover" image in this issue here as I very much highly doubt you would see this kind of pricing result on virtually all of the other issues in this Speed run.  :whatthe:  

I thought those 3 mini's 14-16 were Joe Simon covers. #15 possibly Kirby. Now I look and they're Al Avison covers according to the CGC label. Very similar colors and style to the Simon and Kirby covers that followed in the series

Simon gets cover credits for Pocket Comics 1 and 2 which came out a right before Speed 14. I wonder if CGC got any of that wrong. Maybe some or all of the Pocket's are actually Avison covers or Some of the Speed 14-16's are Simon covers .  Probably not I'm sure, they're just so similar. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-04-01_010230_gocollect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-04-01_010309_gocollect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-04-01_010654_gocollect.com.png

Edited by Professor K

On 4/1/2024 at 12:42 AM, lou_fine said:

Yikes is right, but I imagine it's all about the so-called "classic cover" image in this issue here as I very much highly doubt you would see this kind of pricing result on virtually all of the other issues in this Speed run.  :whatthe:  

That and I see 4 sales (not counting CLink) since 2017 and 3 of them were the same purple 1.0 . Six Blue labels with 6.0 being 2nd highest. Scarce alright.

Edited by Professor K

On 3/31/2024 at 10:00 PM, Professor K said:

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-31_215859_comics.ha.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-31_215833_gocollect.com.png

Amazing cover, insanely tough book in a great run, but by all metrics this price is high. But as they always say, only takes two committed bidders. 

On 4/1/2024 at 4:58 PM, october said:

I've wanted a copy for years. Figured I had a shot at 10k. I figured wrong.

You and me both. I honestly thought that 10k was an aggressive bid. Way wrong.

On 4/1/2024 at 5:41 PM, bodhee11 said:
On 4/1/2024 at 4:58 PM, october said:

I've wanted a copy for years. Figured I had a shot at 10k. I figured wrong.

You and me both. I honestly thought that 10k was an aggressive bid. Way wrong.

About 8 years ago, Terry O'Neil offered his complete low-grade run of Speed Comics at a what seemed for the time to be a very aggressive price.  He specifically called out the 18 for its rarity.

On 4/1/2024 at 4:49 PM, bodhee11 said:

Amazing cover, insanely tough book in a great run, but by all metrics this price is high. But as they always say, only takes two committed bidders. 

Yes, anything's possible with two stubborn bidders, and the book is scarce. I'm not wowed by that cover, though. It's just OK. (I'm not too crazy about Joe Simon's draftsmanship; I don't think there's any Joe Simon cover that I'd rate above a B.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/2/2024 at 6:47 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

(I'm not too crazy about Joe Simon's draftsmanship; I don't think there's any Joe Simon cover that I'd rate above a B.)

I agree with your comment about Simon.  His designs are often an amalgamation of swiped images that don't hang together.

This cover is most likely a Simon and Kirby collab.  The skeleton striking the chisel has a motion line that is the sort of thing that Kirby did, and the winged creatures flying in is similar to a pre-Hero monster cover Kirby drew 20 years later.  It's most likely Kirby design/pencils with Simon inks.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:47 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes, anything's possible with two stubborn bidders, and the book is scarce. I'm not wowed by that cover, though. It's just OK. (I'm not too crazy about Joe Simon's draftsmanship; I don't think there's any Joe Simon cover that I'd rate above a B.)

Mystery Men 10? Science Comics 4? Fantastic 6 or 7? Champion 8? 9? USA 3? Silver Streak 2 for cryin out loud? 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:05 AM, adamstrange said:

I agree with your comment about Simon.  His designs are often an amalgamation of swiped images that don't hang together.

This cover is most likely a Simon and Kirby collab.  The skeleton striking the chisel has a motion line that is the sort of thing that Kirby did, and the winged creatures flying in is similar to a pre-Hero monster cover Kirby drew 20 years later.  It's most likely Kirby design/pencils with Simon inks.

On GCD, Greg Theakston attributes p/i to Simon and indicates a signature of John Henri.  I agree that Speed 17 is by Simon and is signed John Henri, but Speed 18 is unsigned. 

Another GCD contributor thinks that 18 is a collab between Kirby and Avison, and I far more sympathetic to that than a sole attribution to Simon.

https://www.comics.org/issue/2176/

All interest is (obviously) on the 8.5 Kansas City Action #1 and it's multi-million dollar hammer price ...............

Action #1 mod-restored 8.0  is over $330K with juice ---- any guesses where this will end / should end  at ?  Can it hit $500K with juice ?