• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,936 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2024 at 6:45 PM, Telegan said:

From what I recall reading (and I had to re-search for it to make sure I was remembering correctly), CGC gave (will give?) GA comics with very minor color touch or glue a pass in that they would get a blue label but would still note the color touch/glue on the label. 

A completely ridiculous and unfair practice IMO. 

On 5/15/2024 at 1:43 PM, Dark Knight said:

I believe the whole cleaning, removing of stains on cards is quite recent. At least not as long as how comics have gone through the whole process. Maybe these card guys found out about restoration and such with comics and now just recently applying them to cards to see how it all works out.

Card people have been manipulating since time immemorial.  I've read of measuring card thickness to evaluate for pressing.  

On 5/15/2024 at 1:13 PM, newshane said:

A completely ridiculous and unfair practice IMO. 

Well when you think about it, I seen some early Timley’s with this kind of very minor ink dots and glue. If they put it in a PLOD, collectors would probably damage books further by taking chunks out of them just so they can obtain a blue label. I think it has its place if it’s used consistently. My memory is foggy but wasn’t there some controversy with the Larsen MMC#9? Was in a PLOD then they revisited it, put it in a blue label. This was probably 20+ years ago?

l

On 5/15/2024 at 1:34 PM, buttock said:

Card people have been manipulating since time immemorial.  I've read of measuring card thickness to evaluate for pressing.  

I just know that trimming of cards have been going on for decades now. Some of those cards were not even caught on by PSA and would be graded out just like a regular untrimmed card

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 3:50 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Well when you think about it, I seen some early Timley’s with this kind of very minor ink dots and glue. If they put it in a PLOD, collectors would probably damage books further by taking chunks out of them just so they can obtain a blue label. I think it has its place if it’s used consistently.

Well, consistently is the problem!  

Also, the CGC's job isn't to save books from collectors who "would probably damage books further." 

Their job is to provide consistent and accurate grading Giving some books a pass for minor color touch and glue isn't fair, consistent, or accurate. Sure, it's noted on the blue label, but it's just as easy to note it on the purple. 

Restoration is restoration and should be clearly noted as such. I don't care if minor color touch and glue is common on Golden Age books. It belongs in a purple label. :sumo:

Edited by newshane

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 4:34 PM, buttock said:

yes...  but Im confused why, after a decade and a half of pressing etc boosting comics slabbing, it never caught on with cards.  As you say, it was being done all along by a few -- same as comics -- so it's odd that it didnt explode for cards as it did in comics. Non restoration work is lucrative in every hobby.  What hadn't the card guys caught on till now??  Was it basically the explosive growth during Covid that awakened new avenues to boosting grades and values to a grading system that had managed to keep it under wraps for so long??

Edited by Aman619

On 5/15/2024 at 7:47 PM, Aman619 said:

yes...  but Im confused why, after a decade and a half of pressing etc boosting comics slabbing, it never caught on with cards.  As you say, it was being done all along by a few -- same as comics -- so it's odd that it didnt explode for cards as it did in comics. Non restoration work is lucrative in every hobby.  What hadn't the card guys caught on till now??  Was it basically the explosive growth during Covid that awakened new avenues to boosting grades and values to a grading system that had managed to keep it under wraps for so long??

I think comics are a couple of decades behind in terms of manipulation.  I think it caught on in cards a long time ago.  But other paper collectors aren't nearly as picky about manipulation as comic collectors so you don't hear about it.  

On 5/16/2024 at 1:27 PM, buttock said:

But other paper collectors aren't nearly as picky about manipulation refined and sophisticated as comic collectors so you don't hear about it.  

:smile:

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 3:33 PM, newshane said:

Also, the CGC's job isn't to save books from collectors who "would probably damage books further." 

Their job is to provide consistent and accurate grading Giving some books a pass for minor color touch and glue isn't fair, consistent, or accurate. Sure, it's noted on the blue label, but it's just as easy to note it on the purple. 

Restoration is restoration and should be clearly noted as such. I don't care if minor color touch and glue is common on Golden Age books. It belongs in a purple label. :sumo:

Way I remember hearing it, the Purist Old Timer's demanded there be a purple label specifically to disincentivize restoration to books because it was "desecration" (not imagining the use of that word; it's an actual quote from a grader).  Arguably that has led to books being destroyed to remove dots of color touch because a dot of ink on a corner is seen by the POTs as less offensive than having the entire corner torn off.  And it's led to people attempting to divine what was in the mind of a former owner -- was the mark accidental or designed to deceive?  A mustache on a hero's face or a giant name or code written that defaces the cover? Much less offensive that a spot of black on top of a crease. That same mindset has led to people literally cutting books into pieces if the complete book cannot get a blue label   

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

On 4/2/2024 at 11:05 AM, adamstrange said:

I agree with your comment about Simon.  His designs are often an amalgamation of swiped images that don't hang together.

This cover is most likely a Simon and Kirby collab.  The skeleton striking the chisel has a motion line that is the sort of thing that Kirby did, and the winged creatures flying in is similar to a pre-Hero monster cover Kirby drew 20 years later.  It's most likely Kirby design/pencils with Simon inks.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:13 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

A B is still a good grade, just not great. Mystery Men 10 is a good cover, but much of the credits goes to the colorist. The deep green on the bad guys makes the cover. Simon's line work could be better. Silver Streak 2, Science 4 and Fantastic 7 are pretty good.

The others you mentioned don't do much for me.

I had to come back to find this. Jimbo you mentioned the colorist so I take that as you don't think he did that part of the job.. If you guys had to guess who do you think did the cover colors for his Fox covers (May 1940) ? Three covers from May 1940 (MM10, Science 4, Fantastic 7) have particularly sweet colors. Similar to the previous issues Fine covers. 

Edit: I always think of something else after I post. Kirby was there at Fox at the time. Even before Simon arrived I believe. Maybe Jack did the colors?

Edited by Professor K

On 5/29/2024 at 4:14 PM, Professor K said:

I had to come back to find this. Jimbo you mentioned the colorist so I take that as you don't think he did that part of the job.. If you guys had to guess who do you think did the cover colors for his Fox covers (May 1940) ? Three covers from May 1940 (MM10, Science 4, Fantastic 7) have particularly sweet colors. Similar to the previous issues Fine covers. 

Edit: I always think of something else after I post. Kirby was there at Fox at the time. Even before Simon arrived I believe. Maybe Jack did the colors?

Jon Berk thought that Lou Fine was coloring many of his covers because of the unusual color design.

I don't recall anything about Lou or Jack coloring their own work.  It wasn't typical for artist to handle the color design, so, absent evidence, I assume that they didn't.

On 5/26/2024 at 8:02 AM, tth2 said:

In my opinion, it is one of the best books ever to come to auction and especially 2024...white pages and 7.0 on an impossible book to get in that condition. A real winner!...With fantastic upside, I know for years I told you get Cap 1...and it sky rocketed in value since...this book is similar!!!!!