• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,079 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2024 at 1:06 PM, Professor K said:

One more thing than I'll cool it. Beautiful Church Western from last night. Congrats to the winner. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-31_140023_comics.ha.com.png

That's a bargain. Bet it's killer in hand.

On 5/31/2024 at 11:06 AM, Professor K said:

One more thing than I'll cool it. Beautiful Church Western from last night. Congrats to the winner. 

And to think, that was probably on the floor in a pile in Edgar’s basement. It probably didn’t even make the “closet”. Too lazy to dig out my Mile High price list but it was probably sold for less than $5. originally…

On 5/31/2024 at 1:06 PM, Professor K said:

I'm not into Westerns too much, but I thought about bidding on that for no other reasons than it's a Church copy and it's a dark background book from the 1940s that's a 9.0 which looks to be the 2nd highest graded out there (there's apparently a 9.4 roaming around, too... geez).  In the end, I decided not to.  Wish I had because I only got 1 of about 6 or 7 others I wanted in the auction.

On 5/31/2024 at 9:12 PM, Telegan said:

I'm not into Westerns too much, but I thought about bidding on that for no other reasons than it's a Church copy and it's a dark background book from the 1940s that's a 9.0 which looks to be the 2nd highest graded out there (there's apparently a 9.4 roaming around, too... geez).  In the end, I decided not to.  Wish I had because I only got 1 of about 6 or 7 others I wanted in the auction.

I feel your pain. I was holding off for the Larson Smash 3 which didn't quite work out for me. But I'd have bid this book up to a G or slightly more. One of my top 5 Western covers. The black cover looks great but the title art is just awesome. 

On 5/31/2024 at 8:34 PM, Professor K said:

I feel your pain. I was holding off for the Larson Smash 3 which didn't quite work out for me. But I'd have bid this book up to a G or slightly more. One of my top 5 Western covers. The black cover looks great but the title art is just awesome. 

Oh yeah, for sure.  The title color on that dark background absolutely pops.  Oh well, many more to be had out there. lol.

On 5/31/2024 at 2:11 PM, Silver Surfer said:

What a steal. That book would look sweet in a mylar.

I was watching that one myself but decided I'd rather save my money for something else. That's how I usually feel about westerns, even nice ones.

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 12:35 AM, Professor K said:

Thanks. I'm going to head over to the Fox thread so as not to interfere with all the Heritage/Books that almost no one can afford talk. 

But on the downside for the average collector it's few and far between to get anything there without paying more than you oughta. I just sold 2 GA books I got on Heritage on Clink. Massive loss on both. 

What books? Just curious.

On 5/30/2024 at 12:06 PM, tth2 said:

Why would you do that?  That's like buying a diamond at Cartier and then trying to resell it at a pawn shop.  In the OA forum, we joke that Clink is the last place in comics that bargains can still be found.  Which means it can be a lousy place for consignors.

I guess the way to get deals is to put in low-ball bids on a bunch of books and hope that other bidders don't show up on one or two of them. The chances of getting a deal aren't great if you target a particular book. I just paid $4,850 plus tax and shipping for this one—3.7 times guide. I wanted a Novick cover in 8.0 or above for my artist type set, so I can live with the price. I'm sure the consignor was happy. I don't think the book would have gone for much more on Heritage, and the commission would have been bigger.

3005241900131.jpg

ETA: I guess this comic predicted the future. The woman is about to become an unwilling cornea donor for the benefit of a rich old man, and there have been many reports worldwide of poor people and political prisoners in developing countries being killed in order to supply organ transplants for rich people.

https://brighterworld.mcmaster.ca/articles/analysis-killing-prisoners-for-transplants-forced-organ-harvesting-in-china/

Edited by jimbo_7071