• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,144 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2024 at 2:07 PM, Professor K said:

I think someone got a kind of good deal on this Slight/Mod that could almost be a Slight or a Conserved. 1st Flessel cover, 2nd issue, and a shirt that would make L.B. Cole proud. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-06-23_135551_comics.ha.com.png

You are so right. I’m kicking myself for not throwing in another bid or two as I was the runner up and have no 2 in my collection   A beautiful book that has the types of restoration I can live with and sold for what a 1.0 blue label would have. 

IMG_1553.jpeg

On 6/24/2024 at 7:17 AM, ThothAmon said:

You are so right. I’m kicking myself for not throwing in another bid or two as I was the runner up and have no 2 in my collection   A beautiful book that has the types of restoration I can live with and sold for what a 1.0 blue label would have. 

IMG_1553.jpeg

pretty white cover for the age of it 

On 6/24/2024 at 2:31 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I hate when that happens. Few people will take the time or even have the means to uncover the book defects that led to the weak sale, and it mos def splashes onto those who follow behind 

Thanks Mr. C. I didn't know for sure if anyone else thought like that. Like again yesterday. A 4.5 Marvel Mystery 12 Slightly Brittle went low, mostly because of the Slightly Brittle part I'm sure. That will affect sales of that book for a while, even my ridiculously undergraded copy. Yep, I don't like when I see a similiar book that I have come to auction with trimmed, Brittle, SB, or excessive writing on the cover. Because of those "bid on the grade, not the book" types. 

lf (1).jpg

1940-10 Marvel Mystery Comics 12 Cosmic Aeroplane Pedigree.jpg

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 6/24/2024 at 2:31 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I hate when that happens. Few people will take the time or even have the means to uncover the book defects that led to the weak sale, and it mos def splashes onto those who follow behind 

It works the other way, too. The Okajima copy of Catman 21 sold for a sky-high price a while back, and then people started paying high prices for other copies, too. Nobody bothered to figure out that the Okajima book only sold for the price that it because it was a camp book. (That issue was always just a run-filler.) Prices on that issue have been coming back down—slowly—but they're still higher than what I would expect.

On 6/24/2024 at 6:26 AM, path4play said:

Exactly, lol.  I went 1 for 12, after getting routed on 0 for 4 a few weeks back.  Nothing in my not so secret anymore little thin market niche was going down...  I'm going to assume they were going after highest graded and/or pedigree copies...even Crippen's were poppin' and add a Pennsylvania (need one), forget about it... surely it wasn't the Plastic Man character?

Indeed its making me question my ability to continue trying for the "Police Comic pedigree run", or if it might just be smarter to start bailing and taking the other side of the trade.

This is the one I did get.

PoliceComics66MileHigh.thumb.jpg.e68f3f2a5ecab05addcf9cfe05011209.jpg

Nice pickup! I was watching that one myself.

I was most interested in the Moon Girl #1, but I had just bought a book on CLink and didn't have the appetite for spending any money on anything that wasn't actually a grail.

On 6/24/2024 at 1:21 PM, Professor K said:

Thanks Mr. C. I didn't know for sure if anyone else thought like that. Like again yesterday. A 4.5 Marvel Mystery 12 Slightly Brittle went low, mostly because of the Slightly Brittle part I'm sure. That will affect sales of that book for a while, even my ridiculously undergraded copy. Yep, I don't like when I see a similiar book that I have come to auction with trimmed, Brittle, SB, or excessive writing on the cover. Because of those "bid on the grade, not the book" types. 

lf (1).jpg

Pretty sure yours goes for more. 
2c

On 6/24/2024 at 6:04 PM, MrBedrock said:

I just bid on stuff I don't want or need.

I'm laughing on the outside, but crying on the inside, because this is what I'm doing tonight...

On 6/24/2024 at 1:21 PM, Professor K said:

lf (1).jpg

It looks like it went for $3,600, which is about three times guide. For an issue that isn't particularly tough, I'm not sure I'd call that low. I see that two VG copies went for $4,800 and $4,560 last year, so if you're comparing it to those sales, then it might look low, but those were incredibly strong prices.

A VF copy went for $10,200 last year; that $3,600 looks pretty solid compared to that sale. It doesn't even look like it was punished for the page quality tbh.

The "Amazing Mystery Funnies" copies from a "bound volume" indicate no trimming. Isn't trimming always associated with copies from bound volumes??

t

Edited by twmjr1
spacing

On 6/28/2024 at 2:47 AM, AJD said:

Not always, though professionally bound copies are usually trimmed to give an even page edge. But sometimes the books are just bound with the edges left untouched. I have a couple of those. This is in a blue label slab (4.0) - you can see it has been stitched into a bound volume, but it's untrimmed.

large.5972a2375624b_wdcs_007.jpg.4093a80d615fc85b23b585191f7de960.jpg

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen an untrimmed book from a bound volume before.