• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yikes, that looks like a $9,900 overshot to me which is certainly nothing to sniff at.  :eek:

Maybe you could call Heritage and try to explain the situation to them and see if they could remedy the situation for you.  I imagine they would at the least consider waiving some of the fees associated with any subsequent resale you decide to do on the book.  If so, just hold onto the book for a couple of auctions and then put it back out in the hot spring and/or summer auction periods and you should hopefully be able to recoup your money, if not more on the book.  :wishluck:

I talked to them.  They were gracious but I’m a big believer in eating my mistakes. I was willing to pay the extra $250 on the cut bid if they wanted to offer it to the under bidder. Anyway, it is all my fault. I am just really glad it was on a book I really like and one I can afford. If it were the SF Cap 1 that is a mistake I would not be able to eat lol

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I talked to them.  They were gracious but I’m a big believer in eating my mistakes. I was willing to pay the extra $250 on the cut bid if they wanted to offer it to the under bidder. Anyway, it is all my fault. I am just really glad it was on a book I really like and one I can afford. If it were the SF Cap 1 that is a mistake I would not be able to eat lol

I always have the fear of doing something like this, Rick.  I keep my cursor away from the bidding buttons and usually have it disabled unless I know something I am interested in is coming up.  

It is a great book you got although sorry it was through a mistake.  

49 minutes ago, telerites said:

I always have the fear of doing something like this, Rick.  I keep my cursor away from the bidding buttons and usually have it disabled unless I know something I am interested in is coming up.  

It is a great book you got although sorry it was through a mistake.  

I am also terrified of mistakenly bidding and usually disable until I am ready...now if only Heritage offered a "no emotional overbidding" button, I'd be all set!  I was guilty of that a bit last week!

15 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yikes, that looks like a $9,900 overshot to me which is certainly nothing to sniff at.  :eek:

Maybe you could call Heritage and try to explain the situation to them and see if they could remedy the situation for you.  I imagine they would at the least consider waiving some of the fees associated with any subsequent resale you decide to do on the book.  If so, just hold onto the book for a couple of auctions and then put it back out in the hot spring and/or summer auction periods and you should hopefully be able to recoup your money, if not more on the book.  :wishluck:

Exactly how gracious, not gracious enough I guess to waive any subsequent seller's fees that you might end up incurring?  :frown:

I remember bidding in either one of the Sotheby's or very early Heritage auctions back in the day when the internet service was a lot slower.  By the time I hit the Bid button, the auction had already moved onto the next lot to a piece of OA which I did not collect at all.  Called them up immediately and they said it was no problem and they would simply cancelled out my bid.  Not sure what haappened to the lot that I had made a mistake on, but it worked out alright in the end for me.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

No, I was walking away from my computer and decided to hit the disable bid button  but I overshot it and hit the cut bid button.   I was just watching the auction and watching that book but not planning on bidding on it. 

So that was the only bid that I had on that book at all was that cut bid at 8250+ BP. 

:screwy:

On 8/10/2019 at 7:02 AM, Bat34 said:

now if only Heritage offered a "no emotional overbidding" button, I'd be all set!

They have that.  It's called the "submit your bids online before live bidding starts and then walk away from the computer" button. :baiting: 

Edited by tth2

Speaking of accidentally bidding... I had a touch screen monitor on my register computer at the store. Was working one Thursday at the store a couple of years ago while I had the heritage live auction on. A customer walked up to the counter to check out and I greeted them and as I was switching screens to the RMS (retail management system) I hear “you’ve been outbid”. 

That caught me by surprise,  as I wasn’t bidding on any particular lot at that time .

So I switch screens and I realize that a little bit of spit had actually hit the bid button causing me to bid on a five figure book I had no interest in. Well if you are familiar with touch screens until you remove the pressure on the screen it will continue to act as the enter button,  so as I got outbid my spit droplet proceeded to bid yet again for me on a 60,000+ dollar book 

Got outbid again, so Quick reacting I decided to wipe the drop of spit from the bid button and of course as I was outbid, my finger  actually placed yet another bid! 65,000+ bp 

Flabbergasted I watch the screen for about five seconds and thankfully somebody cut bid me and I was off the hook , but a true story 

11 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Speaking of accidentally bidding... I had a touch screen monitor on my register computer at the store. Was working one Thursday at the store a couple of years ago while I had the heritage live auction on. A customer walked up to the counter to check out and I greeted them and as I was switching screens to the RMS (retail management system) I hear “you’ve been outbid”. 

That caught me by surprise,  as I wasn’t bidding on any particular lot at that time .

So I switch screens and I realize that a little bit of spit had actually hit the bid button causing me to bid on a five figure book I had no interest in. Well if you are familiar with touch screens until you remove the pressure on the screen it will continue to act as the enter button,  so as I got outbid my spit droplet proceeded to bid yet again for me on a 60,000+ dollar book 

Got outbid again, so Quick reacting I decided to wipe the drop of spit from the bid button and of course as I was outbid, my finger  actually placed yet another bid! 65,000+ bp 

Flabbergasted I watch the screen for about five seconds and thankfully somebody cut bid me and I was off the hook , but a true story 

Wow. That’s like something chasing you in a nightmare and you discover you can’t move

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I wonder if heritage would accept that as a reason to cancel the bids :roflmao:.  The dog ate my homework :roflmao:.  I had a similar experience on my smart phone on comicconnect.  The phone autosaved my password (dumb move on my part) and I accidentally clicked on a buy it now book on their front page while closing out the multiple windows.  Didn’t realize this until 1 minute later and I get an email from comicconnect congratulating me on the purchase.  I was prepared to pay the $80 for the book but fortunately comicconnect let me off the hook

Edited by Spiderturtle

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Strong saliva Rick ^^

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

This is the best explanation I've heard yet for how that ASM original art cover went for so much a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Primetime said:

Strong saliva Rick ^^

GAtor once accidentally spit on an Action 1.  It dissolved entirely into a pulpy mess. 

True story.

31 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

GAtor once accidentally spit on an Action 1.  It dissolved entirely into a pulpy mess. 

True story.

I remember in the 90s watching a dealer leaf thru unslabbed books with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth, dropping ashes.  He would casually brush them off the comic page.

Also true story

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Your spit cost some poor guy several thousands of dollarslol