• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,962 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I think it is still an undervalued book imho 

I'm happy to see anything that's actually scarce to rare get some financial lovin', but like many folk here I could probably rattle off many things which would bring vociferous cries of "It ain't worth that!!!", despite being just as rare (if not much more so) and far more culturally significant (even, like, many thousands of times more so).       

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

not just the peds—the 6.5 blue beetle 1 sold for about 10k!!

That was a really nice copy with beautiful colors and I thought I would take it home on my proxy bid.  There's a movie in development for the Beetle although I think collectors of that material don't particularly care.

3 hours ago, podboy66 said:

I bid on a number of the later Subbies.   I had expected $10-15k per book, not $20 to 25K.  Blew my brains out on one.

Would that be the Subby 13 that sold for a rather astounding $50K+, as already noted above in a previous post of mines?  :whatthe:  :applause:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Would that be the Subby 13 that sold for a rather astounding $50K+, as already noted above in a previous post of mines?  :whatthe:  :applause:

I am lucky enough to already own a very nicely presenting 13 in 8.0 already.  I bid on 27 to 32 and was able to get the 29.  It’s a tougher one to find.  I never thought that I would be able to upgrade my current 6.0.

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I’d say session 4 is comic book collectors and session 3 was …well, I can’t even speculate. But surely wasn’t long time comic collectors. 

Ummmm.....................probably bidders who know only enough to look at the big big number in the top left hand corner of the slab, but not enough to look at the actual book itself and understand the complex intricacies of defects such as corner chips, cover edge tears, spine ticks, etc.  :devil:

21 minutes ago, podboy66 said:

I am lucky enough to already own a very nicely presenting 13 in 8.0 already.  I bid on 27 to 32 and was able to get the 29.  It’s a tougher one to find.  I never thought that I would be able to upgrade my current 6.0.

Congratulations!  :applause:

I love that book! 

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Some of the Batman books didn't have the big prices that were seen in the Promise Session even when they were sole highest.

That's probably because some of the deep pocketed noobs and newbies to this comic book marketplace of ours who bought into the story and hype and were placing such high bids on the Promise books didn't realize there could actually be quality comic books that existed beyond the Promise Collection that might actually also be worth bidding on.  :S

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's probably because some of the deep pocketed noobs and newbies to this comic book marketplace of ours who bought into the story and hype and were placing such high bids on the Promise books didn't realize there could actually be quality comic books that existed beyond the Promise Collection that might actually also be worth bidding on.  :S

Sadly, even these Batman books were outside my price range :(

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Is this a record setting price for this copy of Donald Duck as I guess they must be getting back in vogue after being in the cooler for a long time:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-178-donald-duck-rockford-pedigree-dell-1947-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7244-94042.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F3%2F8%2F24138684%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for a rather astounding $90K and big congrats to the consignor of this book here who I believe is one of our very own here.  (thumbsu  :applause:

I fell out of my chair when I saw this price.

Nothing in any previous benchmarks would've predicted anything like this.

8 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

From what I know, most of the berk books mostly went up in value when they resold.  I’ll be curious to see if the same pattern holds true for the Promise Collection when they come back

It's hard to imagine...

8 hours ago, stagedoorjohnny said:
12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

this auction is defying all logic imo

I would tend to agree with this, especially from my perspective which is someone that has been out of the loop for a long period of time.  But how many times have we said this after an auction over the last 15 years?  And the market continues to march upward. I am truly in awe. 

I'd be willing to bet that many similar comments were made when the WM AF 15 sold at Sotheby's for $40k.