• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

And the reg session (4) is full of very low, less than stellar results.

I thought the Session 4 results were pretty darn strong.

Wood's cover to Shock #6 -- $840,000.

I presume the highest price by far ever paid for an EC original?

I remember when Al Feldstein was agog when one of Wood's WS covers sold for $50,000. That was around 2005 I think. 

Edited by Sarg
capitalization

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

We’ve never seen so many books closing 200-500% above perceived fmv. And the reg session (4) is full of very low, less than stellar results. I’d say session 4 is comic book collectors and session 3 was …well, I can’t even speculate. But surely wasn’t long time comic collectors. 

It doesn't surprise me that the regular session bidding seemed lackluster given the build-up of the Promise books and how much capital was being put on the line.  The regular session that followed certainly provided opportunities for those who weren't worn out by Session 3.  I don't think the regular session was low overall, just mixed results.

As for long time collectors, it probably depends on what you collect and whether top grade is an impetus for bidding, but I agree with you for the most part.  Now whether some of the Promise grades are accurately graded when compared with prior top grades when closely examined, that's a totally different story.  There are cases where I might think some of the Promise grades are debatable, but it's a judgment call.  That too will be sorted out over time I suspect.

FMV doesn't take into account premiums paid for HGC, but some of the hammer prices of the Promise books were jaw dropping, especially those books that weren't top graded copies.  Whether the Promise Collection is deserving of all the hype, there's not question that it paid off handsomely.  My 2 cents ...which may be worth about 10 if inflated values continue. 

Edited by Cat-Man_America

18 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I thought the Session 4 results were pretty darn strong.

Fox pedigree books were strong.

Some of the Batman books didn't have the big prices that were seen in the Promise Session even when they were sole highest.

I think there was a dip after the Promise Session, but I don't recall any bargains.

52 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The Promise collection has no big keys but the grade of the books and super-charged marketplace made for an explosive sale.

Is that true? AA 61 and Detective 140 are, to me, "big keys"--maybe not Action 1/Detective 27 level, but I think those books qualify.

58 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Fox pedigree books were strong.

Some of the Batman books didn't have the big prices that were seen in the Promise Session even when they were sole highest.

I think there was a dip after the Promise Session, but I don't recall any bargains.

not just the peds—the 6.5 blue beetle 1 sold for about 10k!!