• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,075 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2022 at 4:37 PM, lou_fine said:

Long time coming and much deserved with almost every other genre of comic books soaring up in value over the years, but its about time that the "historical" comic books like this one here finally going for some real money:  :luhv:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/famous-funnies-1-eastern-color-1934-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7279-92084.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, Famous Funnies #1 (Eastern Color, 1934) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white to white pages....

Hard to beat the first monthly newsstand comic book and a book which helped to usher in the birth of the comic book industry, with this copy here finally cracking the 5-figures mark and coming in at $19,200.  :applause:

That is a strong price. Is it just me or are the scrapes on the FC resto removal? I guess they could be tape pulls? 

On 9/12/2022 at 2:37 AM, lou_fine said:

Long time coming and much deserved with almost every other genre of comic books soaring up in value over the years, but its about time that the "historical" comic books like this one here finally going for some real money:  :luhv:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/famous-funnies-1-eastern-color-1934-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7279-92084.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, Famous Funnies #1 (Eastern Color, 1934) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white to white pages....

Hard to beat the first monthly newsstand comic book and a book which helped to usher in the birth of the comic book industry, with this copy here finally cracking the 5-figures mark and coming in at $19,200.  :applause:

Some later FAmous Funnies books also did relatively well. Mostly due to the Promise designation.  I finished second on this beauty. Hopefully a boardie got it. 

D350F42E-21E1-4D8A-9910-6DA06F13A3B2.jpeg

On 9/12/2022 at 4:20 AM, ThothAmon said:

Some later FAmous Funnies books also did relatively well. Mostly due to the Promise designation.  I finished second on this beauty. Hopefully a boardie got it. 

Very Buck Rogers like cover and really the only other Famous Funnies that I really want besides the first few issues of the run  and then the later much in-demand Frazetta cover issues.  :luhv:

Did put in a few bids on this copy here, but just could not justify going triple for a raw copy as opposed to a graded beauty like this one here:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-191-file-copy-eastern-color-1950-cgc-vf-nm-90-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122025-17276.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Famous Funnies #191 File Copy (Eastern Color, 1950) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Sold for what I thought was a strong $600 back in 2020, but nowhere like the rather crazy $1,800 that the raw Promise copy fetched yesterday.  :whatthe:

On second though though, maybe not such a crazy price on the FF 191, as I guess there must also still be a few Bruce Lee fans out there:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/adventure/the-green-hornet-2-gold-key-1967-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7279-94312.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Silver Age (1956-1969):Adventure, The Green Hornet #2 (Gold Key, 1967) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Either that or some CGC labels chasers out there as I thought this sold for a very strong $7,500 considering that it is a Gold Key and definitely not that scarce of a book.  Heck, even I've got a File Copy set of this Green Hornet 3-book series which means that I am going to have to give them some more squeezing and squashing lovable hugs if I ever want to have a shot at getting some real money for them.  lol

On 9/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Very Buck Rogers like cover and really the only other Famous Funnies that I really want besides the first few issues of the run  and then the later much in-demand Frazetta cover issues.  :luhv:

Did put in a few bids on this copy here, but just could not justify going triple for a raw copy as opposed to a graded beauty like this one here:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-191-file-copy-eastern-color-1950-cgc-vf-nm-90-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122025-17276.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Famous Funnies #191 File Copy (Eastern Color, 1950) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Sold for what I thought was a strong $600 back in 2020, but nowhere like the rather crazy $1,800 that the raw Promise copy fetched yesterday.  :whatthe:

I thought I was going to have to buy a bunch of raw Famous Funnies just to get the Connie strip reprints (which I think are underrated).

However, I read online that this book is coming:

https://www.classiccomicspress.com/pages/connie-sundays

connie_cover_480x480.jpg?v=1621367089

I was pleasantly surprised.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:47 PM, Gotham Kid said:

any predictions?

The 9.6 FC #9 in the upcoming "Doug's Dell & Gold Key Comics Showcase Auction" in November is the 9.4 copy that I sold on Heritage back in June 2021.

When I first saw it, I was like "Wow!".  Then I clicked on the listing to look at the book and thought the book looked very familiar.

Man I love this hobby! 

Edited by tth2

On 10/10/2022 at 8:27 AM, tth2 said:

The 9.6 FC #9 in the upcoming "Doug's Dell & Gold Key Comics Showcase Auction" in November is the 9.4 copy that I sold on Heritage back in June 2021.

When I first saw it, I was like "Wow!".  Then I clicked on the listing to look at the book and thought the book looked very familiar.

Man I love this hobby! 

I have been working with a marketing company to come up with the name for my collection when I decide to sell.  The lead name so far is:

BatmanFan’s Batalicious Collection

but we are still A-B testing it.