• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

Taking into account CGC's current stance, it is hard to see why the Don Rosa Collection shouldn't have received a pedigree designation. Afterall, the collection is oo, high grade and has depth. It's probably a little weaker than the real pedigrees, but nonetheless qualifies borderline imo. On the other hand, even though Burntboys books meet some of those criteria, I believe it doesn't have the depth for it to qualify on this occasion.

Provenance means origin Pedigree is a direct written lineage I don't see how the two are really different. On top of that I have only heard the word Provenance used to help describe pedigree books never as a seperate term. If it was then everybody would be talking about Provenances not pedigrees.

Simple. A pedigree must have provenance, i.e., it must be an OO store bought collection. But provenance alone doesn`t mean it`s a pedigree.

All my cra-ppy BA books were store bought by me, and I still have them. So there`s your provenance. But that in and of itself certainly wouldn`t make it a pedigree.

I think there are so many high quality OO collections that cover late SA through BA (both discovered and yet to be discovered) that if they were all deemed to be pedigrees, the pedigree designation would become meaningless.

Definitely, and if CGC opens the door for high-grade late-Silver/early-Bronze OO collections to get a Pedigree designation, then applying the term would be useless. These comics are plentiful in the first place, but just imagine what would come out of the woodwork if CGC started doling Pedigree designations out to every Tom, and Harry.

Personally, I think this whole Pedigree term is a bit of a joke for this late-60's-to-70's era anyway, and really only applies to books from the Golden and very early-Silver Age anyway.

Taking into account CGC's current stance, it is hard to see why the Don Rosa Collection shouldn't have received a pedigree designation.

Actually, what is CGC`s current stance? Most of us are just speculating, because CGC won`t publish its criteria as to what constitutes a pedigree.

Afterall, the collection is oo, high grade and has depth. It's probably a little weaker than the real pedigrees, but nonetheless qualifies borderline imo.

I disagree with this because OO, high grade and depth is not enough. Otherwise there are a zillion BA, Copper and Modern pedigrees. Time period covered by the collection is critical. The pedigree collection had to be assembled at a time when it was extremely unusual for someone to put together a huge, high grade collection and preserve it that way for several decades.

On the other hand, even though Burntboys books meet some of those criteria, I believe it doesn't have the depth for it to qualify on this occasion.

Perhaps not, but I think it satisfies the time period requirement much better than Rosa`s does. Harry`s collection covers the early 60s through mid-60s (I can`t remember if there are many 50s books in there) and includes some of the major keys, such as FF 1. There is something a whole lot more special about finding a NM run of books from 1963 than 1968, no?

On top of that I have only heard the word Provenance used to help describe pedigree books never as a seperate term.

I've repeatedly heard it used by itself for books from Stan Lee, Nic Cage, Dallas Stephens, Joe and Nadia, and Maggie Thompson.

Is there another term used for non-pedigree books that CGC has put "From the collection of..." on? If there is a "more correct" term for these types, I will use that instead, just let me know what it is...

I can't deny that some of your points are valid, however, the pedigree designation has been diluting for some time now, with the recognition of the weaker pedigrees such as the Oakland, Boston & Mile High II for example being three of them. Of course early Silver material will always outweigh late Silver in my book, but that is only a matter of opinion.

The pedigree collection had to be assembled at a time when it was extremely unusual for someone to put together a huge, high grade collection and preserve it that way for several decades.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

So, um, what is it? For real. Forgetting what WE think it is, what is CGC calling it? I realize the slab SAYS collection, but the notation is not placed where the collection notation usually is, but where pedigree notations are usually stuck.

Provenance:

When the owner of a book is known and is stated for the purpose of authenticating and documenting the history of the book. Example: A book from the Stan Lee or Forest Ackerman collection would be an example of a value-adding provenance.

A Pedigree has to do with condition. A Provenance does not.

I can understand why some might not like the idea of such a late year pedigree (I'm a little on the fence as well), but considering the extreme condition and size, I think it qualifies.

Late Silver Age. Mostly high grade.

Ho-hum. sleeping.gif

How many of these collections are still out there? Hundreds?

Is CGC going to list them all?

Now, I'd like to own Rosa's run of Barks ducks. That would be cool. They wouldn't grade out like his late SA books do, but the fact that his career is based in these particular copies would make them very desirable to me.

Late Silver Age. Mostly high grade.

Ho-hum. sleeping.gif

How many of these collections are still out there? Hundreds?

Is CGC going to list them all?

Now, I'd like to own Rosa's run of Barks ducks. That would be cool. They wouldn't grade out like his late SA books do, but the fact that his career is based in these particular copies would make them very desirable to me.

Gary, well said. I agree with your post 100%, including getting his Barks duck books. That, and all of the duck books that Don himself created for Gladstone, would be the main part of the collection where the Rosa provenance truly has any meaning.

It appears as if many of the people here are confusing what they have seen of the Don Rosa books as being the majority of the pedigree. Does anyone know for sure that his collection only consists of late Silver/Bronze books? Maybe those were the easiest and cheapest to slab first. Probably also the most plentiful.

Other books could hit the market, which might include earlier issues, possibly going back the GA.

The only thing I have heard is that Don Rosa did not collect Romance books, otherwise he had a complete runs of most Superhero titles going back aways.

At the National, Steve Wyatt told me that all books from 1974 and after were bought off the rack by Don Rosa -- he is the original owner.

Books pre-1974 were purchased by Don on the secondary market. In most cases, Rosa is not the original owner of these pre-1974 books.

This I am certain he told me.

I asked Steve about the pedigree vs. collection designation, and (if I recall correctly) he stated that there is the possibility that CGC could use either designation depending on the cover date of the book.

Then again, he was talking fast, it was noisy, and I could have misinterpreted this part of our conversation.

confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif

Other books could hit the market, which might include earlier issues, possibly going back the GA.

thumbsup2.gif

These books are not all of them.

Yes, Steve Wyatt told me that Rosa has books going back to the Golden Age. He has not released them yet.

But as I noted in my previous post, Rosa is not the original owner of the Golden Age books.