• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

I spoke to the guy selling your books at the NYC National this past fall. He said that some of your books that were low priced items (under $10 or so) would be put up on Ebay in lots. So far I haven't seen any offered. Will this eventually happen?
Why don't you contact Steve Wyatt, who is "the guy" you are referring to.
His current auctions state when they will auctioned off but we'll let the other guy find out for himself! tongue.gif

I spoke to the guy selling your books at the NYC National this past fall. He said that some of your books that were low priced items (under $10 or so) would be put up on Ebay in lots. So far I haven't seen any offered. Will this eventually happen?
His current auctions state when they will auctioned off but we'll let the other guy find out for himself! tongue.gif
makepoint.gif

makepoint.gif
gossip.gif

makepoint.gif
gossip.gif
Christo_pull_hair.gif

Speaking of Big Apples, I have no idea how this got certified as a Pedigree... i've seen a number of Big Apple books that have very "toasty" interiors and quite honestly, not very desirable copies. Much rather have Harry's copies.

I have several SA Big Apples that have moderate edge toning and the pages are most likely CREAM. frown.gif

That said, structurally they are excellent, plus the cover gloss is deep and the ink looks wet. cloud9.gif

Do they deserve pedigree status? I don't know.

But if you can live with the page quality, the cover inks make for some pretty books.

I've got an Avengers 16 from that collection and it also has that dripping gloss that you speak of.One thing missing from the Big Apple pedigree is the "story".Most of the big name pedigrees have a "story" behind them.The certificate that came with my Avengers basically said that it came from a large collection of nice books that one person owned.Not that I'm complaining,in fact,If it weren't for two small holes that run through the first half of the book(maverick staple?)that book would probably have been long gone when I got to it.It's raw and I'M scared to touch it 27_laughing.gif.Whatever I may think,I believe that CGC considers Big Apple to be a pedigree.Nice books.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

My understanding on Pedigrees is that there must be a large depth of collection, consistant high quality, large breadth of collection and must have been an original owner.

Depth--Basically # of books.

Breadth--Number of consecutive copies collected and number of titles collected.

Quality--Condition of the books.

Original owner--- Majority of books collected by the owner as the books were printed. Some second hand is possible but not a characteristic of the pedigree.

These seem to be the only characteristics of a pedigree that I have heard about. So Don's would apply, would they not? Anyone, have any other info on what determines a "Pedigree"

Tim, please stop posting cr@p. You really have no idea what you are saying.

Depth? - The Allentown pedigree has very few books in it. (135 books)

Breadth? - The Denver pedigree only had #1 issues.

Quality? - I have seen quite a few Big Apple pedigree books below NM.

Original Owner? - The San Francisco pedigree was bought by Tom Reilly and then by his parents.

Are you going by what CGC calls a Pedigree? Because, I believe they have busted their own definitions, numerous times.

My understanding on Pedigrees is that there must be a large depth of collection, consistant high quality, large breadth of collection and must have been an original owner.

Original owner--- Majority of books collected by the owner as the books were printed. Some second hand is possible but not a characteristic of the pedigree.

These seem to be the only characteristics of a pedigree that I have heard about. So Don's would apply, would they not? Anyone, have any other info on what determines a "Pedigree"

Original Owner? - The San Francisco pedigree was bought by Tom Reilly and then by his parents.

Are you going by what CGC calls a Pedigree? Because, I believe they have busted their own definitions, numerous times.

i wasn't going by any definitions, I was simply pointing out that your understanding of pedigrees is completely false based upon the criteria you suggest.

Hey Deathlok,

0764551701.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Now available.......pick up a copy soon as you can!

Hey Deathlok,

0764551701.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Now available.......pick up a copy soon as you can!

sorry.gif

Oh, those aren't big apple copies, those are from the crab apple collection

i thought that designation was given to your personal stash. bad page quality- ever sniff a bethlehem or mohawk valley? almost enough to get you running for the fire extinguisher.

Oh, those aren't big apple copies, those are from the crab apple collection

i thought that designation was given to your personal stash. bad page quality- ever sniff a bethlehem or mohawk valley? almost enough to get you running for the fire extinguisher.

sorry, the question wasn't directed at bob even though it reads that way.

If those were the only criteria, then there would be one zillion Copper & Modern pedigrees. I think most pedigree purists would say that a pedigree has to have been compiled during a time when it would have been extremely unusual for someone to purchase a huge amount of comics AND maintain them in great condition. These people would say that any "true" pedigree must contain a significant number of books from before 1965 (actually, some of the more extreme members of this group (cough! pedigreeman! cough!) say that only GA pedigrees can be true pedigrees).

I think it's rather pointless to try to come up with a definition. Everyone's going to have a different list of criteria. Even if you get some sort of consensus on the criteria you still can't get everyone to agree when it should be applied without exceptions getting carved out.

IMHO all that it takes to make or break a pedigree is the answer to one simple question -- is it worth knowing and keeping track of the "origin" of a comic as it finds its way from collector to collector. If the answer is yes cloud9.gif -- call it a pedigree. If the answer is 893censored-thumb.gif "who cares?" then it's not.

Simple end to the debate I think! thumbsup2.gif

>>>>He said that some of your books that were low priced items (under $10 or so) would be put up on Ebay in lots. So far I haven't seen any offered. Will this eventually happen?

I think soon. But don't ask me -- Steve is completely in charge of everything. All I did was let him into the "vault" last May and told him to haul away *everything* 1970 and later. Filled his van. I didn't even check what he took! An old friend, I trust him. From that point on, everything has been in his capable hands, sold on commission, and he seems to be doing a good job for me!

>>>>please, please, please tell Steve to buy a scanner! PLEASE

I suggested that after the FIRST comic he put on eBay 6 months ago. But then, when selling CGC slabbed funnybooks, why is a superclear pic needed?

Don just my two cents but a nice scanned image is critical and I'm convinced it will increase final sales dramatically and will more than pay for itself in a short time. I have to admit that the sub par scans scan was the first thing that made me question the legitamcy of the auctions. Again welcome aboard. thumbsup2.gif

Also is there any way you can have Steve preview what will be listed for sale on these boards? This will also help sales figures tremendously.

>>>>Do you have anymore high grade Batmans left? Maybe you forgot about some of them in one of your closets?

"Closets"? I keep the things in one 30 X 15 ft. climate-controlled "vault".

Sure, I have BATMAN back to #1. And all bought by me or one other collector off the stands back to about 1954. But Steve only took the 1970-on issues.

Don,

What were some of your favorite titles when you bought them?

Did you read all your comics?

Why didn't you collect the romance titles?

What is your favorite age of comics?

Do you buy modern comics at all?

>>>>Gotta ask, how many books did you end up collecting and were/are there certain favorites of yours?

I lost track of the count around 37,000... I estimate there was about 40,000 comics. But that's down to about 25,000 -- I guess Steve hauled off about 15,000. I didn't check.

Favorites? Well, obviously the Barks Ducks (not Disneys, just Barks). But perhaps even more than Barks, the ECs! (However, characters are more important to me than just stories, so $crooge interests me more than anthology stuff.) And the Weisinger Superman years. But so MANY others. That's why I became a completist (since I started at the time when you could afford to do that). But no, I guess I was only interested in stuff from about 1948-on. The so-called "Golden Age" comics seemed pretty crude and childish to me. I couldn't see why I should pay $1-$5 each for 1940's comics when I could get any comic of the late 40's, 50's or early 60's for 25-50 cents each. Oh, not the ECs... those cost a flat $3 each, $5 for the SF titles.