• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for some in person grading help

17 posts in this topic

Wasn't sure where to post this. I'm looking for someone skilled at grading to come to my place and give me some grade estimates. Is that a thing? Do people do that? I'm in South New Jersey. So any NJ/Philly members this would be aimed at you. Worth a shot.   :wishluck:

It probably would be helpful to state your intentions.  If you're looking at grading to sell, you're more likely to get interested parties willing to come to you.  If you just want someone to help you grade, i'd say bring them to a trusted LCS or hook up with a Boardie at an upcoming Con in your area.  Or you could always just post them here and get the benefit of the entire brain trust. :kidaround:

10 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Just out of curiosity where in S.J. are you?

Marlton. 

I'm looking to send some books to CGC. But don't trust my grading. I may or may not sell them after. Of course I would compensate if someone was willing to do this. Probably should have said that up front. And I have a fair amount of books to look through. Totally spit balling but I guess a few hours of someone's time. 

8 hours ago, wombat said:

Marlton. 

I'm looking to send some books to CGC. But don't trust my grading. I may or may not sell them after. Of course I would compensate if someone was willing to do this. Probably should have said that up front. And I have a fair amount of books to look through. Totally spit balling but I guess a few hours of someone's time. 

How many books? If it's not too much trouble to scan and post here, do that. Collectively, we can give you a very good feel for the approx. grade, grade after tweaking, if applicable, and whether or not it's a good submission candidate based on approx. value. Post them. You won't be sorry. Hopefully.  :wishluck: 

(thumbsu

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

How many books? If it's not too much trouble to scan and post here, do that. Collectively, we can give you a very good feel for the approx. grade, grade after tweaking, if applicable, and whether or not it's a good submission candidate based on approx. value. Post them. You won't be sorry. Hopefully.  :wishluck: 

(thumbsu

+1

The general range the boardies that offer their opinion of grades is pretty spectacular.  I would definitely recommend this option.

I inventoried, graded and cataloged my collection of 2000+ books back in 2015, it took me 6 month's.

I am by no means a "professional" grader (but who is unless you are employed by CGC) but I am able to use my eyes and printed info to recognize accumulated defects on a comic book and come up with an accurate "overall" grade.

IMO you should take a couple of the books you are thinking about submitting and attempt to grade them yourself noting all of the defects, then post pics on the site and see how close you are in grade to what the community thinks.

The biggest issue is to be honest with yourself when you are grading your own books, you cannot look at your books though "rose colored glasses".

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

81uq3ot02UL.jpg

5 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Wombat...  You have 18000 posts here and you don't think you will be close on grading?  I think you are short selling your skills...

I just noticed that! 18,000!! Not only does he more than likely know how to grade far better than the average hobbyist, but he must know that posting large, clear, numerous scans of a book in this section will garner him grade estimates and suggestions second only to CGC graders themselves.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I just noticed that! 18,000!! Not only does he more than likely know how to grade far better than the average hobbyist, but he must know that posting large, clear, numerous scans of a book in this section will garner him grade estimates and suggestions second only to CGC graders themselves.

Real fast way to learn about grading... send some books in haha!  It sure schooled me!

16 hours ago, wombat said:

Wish I could help you... I am across the river in NYC.
(FWIW, from here they all look like 9.8s.) :foryou:

40 minutes ago, Bird said:

He’s asking for someone to come and will compensate them for his time I don’t see the issue

Hey you are in the Garden State... go help him out!  Honestly this is not an issue to me to ask for some help but but his answers will never match CGC perfectly.  Its only human.

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

Hey you are in the Garden State... go help him out!  Honestly this is not an issue to me to ask for some help but but his answers will never match CGC perfectly.  Its only human.

Yeah, we talked but I am not confident enough in my grading to take on that responsibility.