• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Catalog arrived in the mail today

116 posts in this topic

DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A 9.ANYTHING TO ME. ITS ALL SCOFFED ON THE UPPER LEFT CORNER.

Printed that way. Not wear at all.

Is it a soft 9.6's, yes IMO, but for a GA book it's has VERY, VERY little wear. Other than just the right top and bottom corner and maybe one tiny flake on the spine (remember Heritage's scans are HUGE), that book is incredible (excluding the printing defect of course).

Anyone still winning anything since the SA portion just closed. I'm still winning several books I wanted, but decided not to pull the tigger on a very expensive SA book that has a reasonable reserve.

Good Luck!!!!!

And what, pray tell, was that book Steve? smile.gif

I am winning a whole of one auction so far. Debated meeting reserve on two others, but decided to hold back. Say, do Signature auctions have "Second Chance" offerings for those items that don't meet reserve?

Does anyone else besides me NOT believe this copy of Young Allies #1 CGC 9.6 is overgraded?

817009138o.jpg

I don't know if CGC downgrades for the color loss on the spine area of the book, which I presume is a printing defect, but looking at the left corner nubs in particular I would not have graded this book above 9.2 at most.

popcorn.gif

YA #1 are notorious for having inking defects from the manufacture, it's a common print defect on this book. Keep in mind there are 3 grades higher than 9.6 (10, 9.9 & 9.8)!

West

It seems to me that there are some real bargains in high grade golden age keys in this auction for someone who is not short on wallet

Such as?

First, the auction is over, so it's hard to say if something is a bargain. Yes, there are books that have no reserve or have met reserve that seem to be good pick-ups if the price doesn't any higher.

YA #1 are notorious for having inking defects from the manufacture, it's a common print defect on this book. Keep in mind there are 3 grades higher than 9.6 (10, 9.9 & 9.8)!

Thanks West. Definitely interesting to know that this particular book had common defects, which I presume when known are taken into consideration.

However, with all due respect, the fact that there are three available grades higher, is neither justification or a defense with respect to an example of perceived overgrading, especially for a 60+ year old book. If this were a 1985 copy of ASM #265, perhaps, but not for a GA book.

Mark, just to clarify, are you saying that CGC should change its stance on not downgrading for printing defects, or are you saying the book has problems other than the printing defects that should bring the grade down?

Mark, just to clarify, are you saying that CGC should change its stance on not downgrading for printing defects, or are you saying the book has problems other than the printing defects that should bring the grade down?

I thought the problems with the book, other than the apparent printing defect of color loss, still merited less than a 9.6 (unless we want to open up a discussion of whether there shoud be different grading standards for GA vs SA, etc)..

As I am not clear as to what CGC's stance is on printing defects, I am not sure if they should change it.

You know I'm kind of of on the fence on this issue but printing defects or not shouldn't the grade assigned reflect the condition of the book? Otherwise it just strikes as as being too subjective. I am willing to bet that the grading notes make no mention of printing defects or something to the effect: "book is a 9.4 but due to printing defects we have assigned it a 9.6". I'll wager $1, any takers?

YEAH!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Looks like I got the one book I really wanted.

Of course there were a few more that I wanted, but I'm pretty happy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Except that I just saw one book that I just paid a lot of money for, sell for significant less. frown.gif

YEAH!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Looks like I got the one book I really wanted.

Of course there were a few more that I wanted, but I'm pretty happy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Except that I just saw one book that I just paid a lot of money for, sell for significant less. frown.gif

I hope its not the one you bought from Bob frown.gif

I hope its not the one you bought from Bob

Yep.

Not his fault. I thought the price was somewhat reasonable at the time.

Apparently not. confused.gif

I wouldn't feel so bad Steve. One look at the back cover/spine of the Heritage copy and it automatically isn't a 9.0 in my book...way too many color breaking creases on a badly wrapped spine. It just isn't a book to sink a lot of dough into.

I think the buyer basically paid for, and received, an 8.5.