• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Catalog arrived in the mail today

116 posts in this topic

I would rather talk about what I won. grin.gif

It's the first Super-Hero issue of an Atlas / Pre-Hero Marvel title and it's in CGC 9.0. GPAnalysis only showed one sale in 9.2 and none in 9.0 over the past three years (which says it doesn't come available very often).

The book that sold for a lot less than what I just paid for is the first Marvel SA appearance of a GA character. A classic issue which gets superseed by the next issue in the run. End of my hints......

I'm very happy with my copy (just not as much as I was before today foreheadslap.gif). Win some, Lose some.

Men's Adventures? C'mon what's with the Jeopardy like answers.

I thought you knew what book I would be bidding on?

On a different topic, I think this book went for a very reasonable price. It might because Heritage screwed up the CENSUS amounts. Note they say 10 in 9.0 with 21 higher. Actually there are 11 higher, but they combinded the 10 and the 11.

TOS #42

It's the first Super-Hero issue of an Atlas / Pre-Hero Marvel title and it's in CGC 9.0. GPAnalysis only showed one sale in 9.2 and none in 9.0 over the past three years (which says it doesn't come available very often).

The book that sold for a lot less than what I just paid for is the first Marvel SA appearance of a GA character. A classic issue which gets superseed by the next issue in the run. End of my hints......

I'm very happy with my copy (just not as much as I was before today foreheadslap.gif). Win some, Lose some.

Without logging in to GPA to check sales data, I'll say TTA 27 is the first book.

The second book is ST 114 if you mean costume appearance.

TTA #27?

FF#4

Men's Adventures? C'mon what's with the Jeopardy like answers.

I thought you knew what book I would be bidding on?

On a different topic, I think this book went for a very reasonable price. It might because Heritage screwed up the CENSUS amounts. Note they say 10 in 9.0 with 21 higher. Actually there are 11 higher, but they combinded the 10 and the 11.

TOS #42

I guess if I thought about it for a while I could figure it out. confused.gif I know you were chasing the ST#101 but indicated that you would be backing away from it. The TOS is a very nice looking 9.0 and at $690 looks to be a good price but that is such a non-key issue I can see how it can fall under the radar. Is that a common mistake Heritage makes with the census notation or is this just a one off?

I guess if I thought about it for a while I could figure it out. I know you were chasing the ST#101 but indicated that you would be backing away from it. The TOS is a very nice looking 9.0 and at $690 looks to be a good price but that is such a non-key issue I can see how it can fall under the radar. Is that a common mistake Heritage makes with the census notation or is this just a one off?

ST #101 is it. smile.gif

I only pointed out the Metro had a CGC 9.2 on their site (with a bad miscut I might add). I'm very happy with the way this CGC 9.0 looks and since I'm trying to complete a Strange Tales run in CGC 9.0 and higher (9.4's form #135 on), this one was going to be a bear to get (not anymore).

Does Heritage mess up the census numbers much? Not to my knowledge. I only noticed since the book seemed very reasonably priced for an early TOS (and it's a pretty nice looking copy at that).

I think this book went for a very reasonable price. It might because Heritage screwed up the CENSUS amounts. Note they say 10 in 9.0 with 21 higher. Actually there are 11 higher, but they combinded the 10 and the 11.

TOS #42

Well, as the high bidder after the Internet closed, I have to agree with you. Sure, its a non-key, but its the fourth Iron-Man appearance, for goodness sakes, and I love collecting the earliest appearances of these characters, when Stan, Jack, Steve and the gang were still trying things out, unsure of where the characters were headed. Plus, the copy has near perfect registration and terrific cover color and whiteness preservation.

The live auction on this book is over, but I can't access on the Heritage website what the final results were for any of the books after #1050. It gives me the feeling something snakey is going on... frustrated.gif

I think this book went for a very reasonable price. It might because Heritage screwed up the CENSUS amounts. Note they say 10 in 9.0 with 21 higher. Actually there are 11 higher, but they combinded the 10 and the 11.

TOS #42

Well, as the high bidder after the Internet closed, I have to agree with you. Sure, its a non-key, but its the fourth Iron-Man appearance, for goodness sakes, and I love collecting the earliest appearances of these characters, when Stan, Jack, Steve and the gang were still trying things out, unsure of where the characters were headed. Plus, the copy has near perfect registration and terrific cover color and whiteness preservation.

The live auction on this book is over, but I can't access on the Heritage website what the final results were for any of the books after #1050. It gives me the feeling something snakey is going on... frustrated.gif

It closed for $690 including BP, with 4 bidders. Did you win? popcorn.gif

That's my bid at $690 with BP, but does it indicate on the website that $690 is the final price after the live bidding?

I'm pretty sure you won the book. Congrats.

I already have a nice CGC 9.0 or I would have been all over it. And as I said, it is a very nice looking copy, a solid 9.0 and maybe even a 9.2. Either way, the price was reasonable and you got a nice book.

Did you win anything else?

That's my bid at $690 with BP, but does it indicate on the website that $690 is the final price after the live bidding?

I'm pretty sure you won the book. Congrats.

I already have a nice CGC 9.0 or I would have been all over it. And as I said, it is a very nice looking copy, a solid 9.0 and maybe even a 9.2. Either way, the price was reasonable and you got a nice book.

Yeah, the website indicates that the $690 is the final price. I'd assume you won...congrats. Nice pickup.

Does anyone else besides me NOT believe this copy of Young Allies #1 CGC 9.6 is overgraded?

817009138o.jpg

I don't know if CGC downgrades for the color loss on the spine area of the book, which I presume is a printing defect, but looking at the left corner nubs in particular I would not have graded this book above 9.2 at most.

popcorn.gif

Would anyone believe if I said it used to be 9.0 ....

Can't prove it anymore cause I lost that pic when my HD died...

(Original pic was in CGC-gallery about two? years ago.)

Man, I got almost totally shut out. I put in a bid slightly over 10X OS (including BP) for the GL 10, and still got outbid. Looks like there's a new GL sheriff in town.

That definitely hurts.

Since you said "almost", what did you win?

Man, I got almost totally shut out. I put in a bid slightly over 10X OS (including BP) for the GL 10, and still got outbid. Looks like there's a new GL sheriff in town.

That definitely hurts.

Since you said "almost", what did you win?

Just a Turok 52, which I was delighted to get at a very nice price.

It's too bad, there were some decent Duck books in the auction, but I didn't go after them because I thought I was going to be spending quite a bit of money on the GL 10. If I had realized I wasn't going to win the GL, I could've used some of the freed up funds to bid on the Ducks. This is one of the inherent limitations of having internet bidding end before the floor auction.

The Strange Tales 105 Winnipeg pedigree. I know alot of collectors can't stand the OO name written on the front cover (and I'd certainly rather do without it), but this 9.0 OW/W copy was interesting to compare with the Pacific Coast 105 (9.0 OW/W) offered as the next lot. The PC copy suffers from some serious pre-chipping along the right edge, and the Winnie copy has a comparatively deeper color strike and superior cover whiteness. It also had a reserve price about 200 bucks lower than the PC copy, and I got it for the reserve price.

How's it going, Steve, finding those early ST superhero books in top shape?

It's too bad, there were some decent Duck books in the auction, but I didn't go after them because I thought I was going to be spending quite a bit of money on the GL 10. If I had realized I wasn't going to win the GL, I could've used some of the freed up funds to bid on the Ducks. This is one of the inherent limitations of having internet bidding end before the floor auction.

Good point, Tim. I have also felt this way at times with the online only Heritage auctions as well. Because all the auctions end simultaneously, there have been a few instances where I was interested in several books but walked away empty handed because I had to prioritize what I was going to bid on.

I guess I just need more money or need to bid higher! makepoint.gif

Congrats on picking up the Turok! thumbsup2.gif