• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Catalog arrived in the mail today

116 posts in this topic

From reviewing the catalog and looking at all the Mile High offerings it looks like Jay Parrino is calling it a day in the dealing of GA comics.

I am looking forward to the continued plunge in the vastly overhyped and over-priced high end GA market now that JP, the buyer of first and last resort for the last 5 years or so, is departing the market and he`s compounding the problem by dumping all his over-priced wares to boot.

From reviewing the catalog and looking at all the Mile High offerings it looks like Jay Parrino is calling it a day in the dealing of GA comics.

I am looking forward to the continued plunge in the vastly overhyped and over-priced high end GA market now that JP, the buyer of first and last resort for the last 5 years or so, is departing the market and he`s compounding the problem by dumping all his over-priced wares to boot.

893whatthe.gif

tth2;

I wouldn't worry too much about the high-end GA market since the actual number of HG copies for any particular book is usually very limited. If anything, I would be a lot more concerned about the overhyped and overpriced high-end BA and MA markets where HG common books are selling for ridiculous multiples to guide.

With respect to JP, I don't believe we should be evaluating the health of the GA market based solely on his past purchases. Although he was probably showing signs of irrational exhuberence, I know lots of other GA collectors willing to or have paid almost as high prices for high-end GA books.

After all, if six figure prices are too high for high-end key GA books, then why wouldn't six figure prices also be too high for high-end key SA books.

After all, if six figure prices are too high for high-end key GA books, then why wouldn't six figure prices also be too high for high-end key SA books.

They are. gossip.gif

IMHO I would say approximately 70-75% of the Mile High offerings in this auction have been consigned by JP. Considering the prices he paid, it is sure going to be interesting to see what the reserves are. gossip.gif

IMHO I would say approximately 70-75% of the Mile High offerings in this auction have been consigned by JP. Considering the prices he paid, it is sure going to be interesting to see what the reserves are. gossip.gif

If he previously bought them from Heritage, and I don't know if he did, I would not be surprised that he is simply trying to get back what he paid (which was likely too much two or three years ago). That is what he apparently did with his Detective #38.

If you want a lesson in greed, he lost out on more than $40,000 additional money because he tried to bluff me into paying $10,000 more. Instead of getting $155,000 from me for the book, he ended up selling it months later for $125,000. 893naughty-thumb.gif

If he previously bought them from Heritage, and I don't know if he did, I would not be surprised that he is simply trying to get back what he paid (which was likely too much two or three years ago). That is what he apparently did with his Detective #38.

The thing about "getting back what you paid" at Heritage is it means you have to sell it at least 15% higher than what you paid, because of Heritage's buyer's premium. And this assumes that he's negotiated a deal to pay 0% seller's commissions.

The thing about "getting back what you paid" at Heritage is it means you have to sell it at least 15% higher than what you paid, because of Heritage's buyer's premium. And this assumes that he's negotiated a deal to pay 0% seller's commissions.

I have little doubt he has negotiated an acceptable seller's commission for himself. And with the amount of money this guy allegedly has, I doubt a loss will mean very much. Probably save him money in taxes anyway.

Is it common to pay 0% seller's commision? I would think Heritage would allow that if you have expensive books for them to sell. Anyone know the answer?

I have little doubt he has negotiated an acceptable seller's commission for himself. And with the amount of money this guy allegedly has, I doubt a loss will mean very much. Probably save him money in taxes anyway.

What does he do for a living?

I believe he was primarily a coin dealer.

I believe he was primarily a coin dealer.

Sort of like saying Target is primarily a retailer, without noting that next to Walmart and a couple others it's one of the biggest. Parino remains one of Heritage's largest customers due to his coin transactions.

Is it common to pay 0% seller's commision? I would think Heritage would allow that if you have expensive books for them to sell. Anyone know the answer?

Not common. If you do a lot of business or have the right material, any kind of contract is possible. It's similar to the treatment of whales in Las Vegas -- they calculate how much the overall relationship is worth in determining the contract terms.

Not common. If you do a lot of business or have the right material, any kind of contract is possible. It's similar to the treatment of whales in Las Vegas -- they calculate how much the overall relationship is worth in determining the contract terms.

thumbsup2.gif

Just to be clear, I have no idea what JP negotiated with Heritage regarding seller's commission. I was just assuming 0% to make a point that even at 0% seller's commission, a seller selling via Heritage would have to sell a book at 15% above his purchase price just to break even. If he's paying any seller's commission, then the sale price required to reach break even goes up accordingly.

Does anyone else besides me NOT believe this copy of Young Allies #1 CGC 9.6 is overgraded?

817009138o.jpg

I don't know if CGC downgrades for the color loss on the spine area of the book, which I presume is a printing defect, but looking at the left corner nubs in particular I would not have graded this book above 9.2 at most.

popcorn.gif

Does anyone else besides me NOT believe this copy of Young Allies #1 CGC 9.6 is overgraded?

817009138o.jpg

I don't know if CGC downgrades for the color loss on the spine area of the book, which I presume is a printing defect, but looking at the left corner nubs in particular I would not have graded this book above 9.2 at most.

popcorn.gif

DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A 9.ANYTHING TO ME. ITS ALL SCOFFED ON THE UPPER LEFT CORNER.