• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
Image result for no regerts tattoo

Takes a lot of skill to get the block letters perfect.  And he didnt even check the spelling.  Thats like someone doing complicated brain surgery but forgot to even wash hands and glove up after cleaning hog pen.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

Takes a lot of skill to get the block letters perfect.  And he didnt even check the spelling.  Thats like someone doing complicated brain surgery but forgot to even wash hands and glove up after cleaning hog pen.

Or a biology teacher not knowing who Malthus was.

Just now, lizards2 said:

Or a biology teacher not knowing who Malthus was.

Or a science teacher telling her students gravity comes from 'the earth spinning'.  Seen it.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Ps I have a biology degree-Malthus was never mentioned.

Yeah - academia.  I suppose you are not to blame.  I wonder what kind of BS they are teaching kids now.

13 minutes ago, kav said:

Or highly successful complex brain surgery on the wrong brain.

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

All O-Pee-Chee cards were wire cut in the factory from the sheet in those years. That frayed/ragged edge is a characteristic that's important for the card to have, but it's not a deal-breaker for PSA when they are submitted with clean edges. PSA's reasoning (which isn't entirely flawed) is that the wires were sharper at the beginning of the sheet cutting process, and got duller over the course of cutting thousands of cards. It stands to reason that there should be clean edged examples. However, Gretzky RC's are not as common to find with perfect centering. Even that 10 is not centered. Most of the clean edge "sheet cut" I've seen are perfectly centered.

Here are some random thoughts at midnight. 

There are many similarities to cards and comics in so far as restorative techniques.  However there are many differences. How each respective grading company handles them are in many cases isolated to the grading company in that collecting field.  The perception of what is acceptable or not is also a cultural aspect within the hobby.   Look at what we have here. Over in the PGM threads there was a guy that noted his book was trimmed.  They asked if it was possible to resubmit and achieve a blue label by conducting a micro tear along the edge in order to mask the trimming. This is where we are at with comics. Remember when people would tape their comics as an untaped tear on a book lowered the grade while adding tape achieved a higher grade? 

There are people here that decry pressing but the majority of people are okay with it and believe it to be a non-invasive form of preservation.  CGC seems to be okay with it.  So long as the culture is accepting of it within the hobby I don't think that anyone here is going to cry foul.  Now, on the other hand, according to the article soaking a card in mineral oil and allowing it to air dry to remove a stain is acceptable within the card hobby.  In comics a "cover cleaning" gets a conserved or restored label.  That is the hobby's culture.    

5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - academia.  I suppose you are not to blame.  I wonder what kind of BS they are teaching kids now.

Malthus was not a biologist so not sure why he would be studied in a biology curriculum.  He was an economist and as far as population biology, we learned that in ecology class where we went in far more depth than what he discussed.

8 hours ago, kav said:

If Chuck is not aware of these comments then it's not aware bullying.  @Buzzetta

I may make a joke or two but I try never to be overly disruptive in one of Comicwiz' threads.  There is usually a lot of good stuff in what he posts. 

Edited by Buzzetta

5 hours ago, chrisco37 said:
7 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I always consider the source 2c

So do I.  But, I also don’t dismiss the message just because I don’t like the messenger (for the record, I don’t dislike RMA; I think he’s one of the more informative posters here...but that’s a conversation for another thread).  

I think that particular post was, as I said, “very good”.  It very much echoes my opinion.  That does not mean I agree with or support everything RMA says.  

In fact, it totally supports what he said (or, at least, my interpretation of what he said); if I can paraphrase “the world isn’t black or white.  It’s shades of grey.”

Just because I agree with “you” on one topic doesn’t mean I’m “all in” on everything “you” say.  Conversely, if I disagree with “you” on a particular topic, it doesn’t mean I disagree with you on everything.

Considering the source is applicable if somebody is trying to convince you to accept a claim they're making, but not if they're posting something generic and obvious.

For (a completely fictional, with no relevance to this board) example, if somebody claims they have access to a document that nobody else is allowed to see that proves the agenda they've been pushing for years, you should definitely consider the source and strongly question the veracity of their claim.

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

CGC seems to be okay with it. 

As long as the book adheres to the guidelines policy of what gets graded with a blue label. As long as the company's grading system is being followed for a blue label submission and result. Every system on earth has rules and/or guidelines. Elements of control. This is no different. If the book fits the bill for blue label guidelines, it's in. If not, it's purple, or green. There's no secrets of what's acceptable for allowed for a blue label result.

Just now, James J Johnson said:

As long as the book adheres to the guidelines policy of what gets graded with a blue label. As long as the company's grading system is being followed for a blue label submission and result. Every system on earth has rules and/or guidelines. Elements of control. This is no different. If the book fits the bill for blue label guidelines, it's in. If not, it's purple, or green. There's no secrets of what's acceptable for allowed for a blue label result.

That's what I said.  I said it has to do with the culture of the hobby and the grading company. 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

CGC seems to be okay with it. 

That's probably true... now.

But there's a reason they're okay with pressing. There's a reason they didn't explicitly state that they were not considering it to be restoration when the company started. There's a reason there was a negative reaction to the admission of some of CGC's secret policies.

16 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

That's probably true... now.

But there's a reason they're okay with pressing. There's a reason they didn't explicitly state that they were not considering it to be restoration when the company started. There's a reason there was a negative reaction to the admission of some of CGC's secret policies.

They have graded over five million collectibles as of the end of 2018.  At this point they cannot put the cork back in the bottle or unring the bell. If they ever said that pressing is restoration and it gets a purple label then they might as well shut down CCS, and get ready for a nightmare because I am willing to say that a vast majority of high level books have been pressed and are sitting in blue labels that obviously do not indicate that the book has been pressed.   In the case of the baseball cards they are talking about a few hundred cards.  In the case of CGC we are talking a few million. 

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

They have graded over five million collectibles as of the end of 2018.  At this point they cannot put the cork back in the bottle or unring the bell. If they ever said that pressing is restoration and it gets a purple label then they might as well shut down CCS, and get ready for a nightmare because I am willing to say that a vast majority of high level books have been pressed and are sitting in blue labels that obviously do not indicate that the book has been pressed.   In the case of the baseball cards they are talking about a few hundred cards.  In the case of CGC we are talking a few million. 

Pressing didn't begin in December, 1999, or with Matt Nelson, or with CCS. Far from it.. Pressing was already part of the equation since a decade or two before then. Does anyone really think that CCS has pressed anywhere near the equal amount of books that were pressed prior to the introduction of any pressing done by anyone connected to CGC?

Edited by James J Johnson