• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Which is absolutely hilarious, considering the content of that post.

It is absolutely hilarious, considering the source of that post.

5 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

That scenario already happened with the Ewart trimmed comics. Most major scandals of this kind have shown the grader roll up it's sleeves and take the item out of circulation. With the Ewart scandal, there were hundreds of books out there, and many of the people who witnessed that bomb being dropped were now coming to the realization they probably would not be able to see what they had into the book because it was tainted. So even if everyone knew, and could cross-reference it on the list I put up for people to check, NO ONE was offering up a solution to take all those comics out of circulation. Everyone stuck their heads in the sand and waited for it to all blow over. The ones who were panicked cracked them out and got them resubbed so the serial numbers wouldn't connect those books to the scandal. If that isn't enabling or collusion, then it's certainly irresponsible.

So you're contending that those trimmed books are still in circulation, having been resubmitted for new serial numbers? How is that possible once CGC was aware of it and how to identify it?

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

So you're contending that those trimmed books are still in circulation, having been resubmitted for new serial numbers? How is that possible once CGC was aware of it and how to identify it?

If you have to ask this question, then I really don't know where to begin, except to tell you they were NOT taken out of circulation.

11 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

This thread has legs, but it is amusing me to no end. This thread is like a Broadway revival of a beloved play. We've had this story before 8-10-12 years ago, and now it is coming back. The same arguments are being made on both sides, the same people are making them, and the same vitriol is coming up. Remakes aren't always required.

Dont forget with the same people going "not this again!"

2 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

If you have to ask this question, then I really don't know where to begin, except to tell you they were NOT taken out of circulation.

I thought they were bought back by TB or his company. Gaps in my full understanding of the financial aspects and aftermath as related to the Ewart books

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What ever happened to him?

One of the best CGC posters of all-time.

(thumbsu

I 100% agree. I heard he was pushed out from posting here from one of the bellends of this forum. I hope that's not true, but that's what I heard.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

You think CGC magically became perfect at detecting trimming just because it was revealed that one guy submitted a lot of trimmed books?

17 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

This thread has legs, but it is amusing me to no end. This thread is like a Broadway revival of a beloved play. We've had this story before 8-10-12 years ago, and now it is coming back. The same arguments are being made on both sides, the same people are making them, and the same vitriol is coming up. Remakes aren't always required.

It's called being consistent.:baiting:

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Exactly.

People are complex, contradictory, and dare I say it...hypocritical. It's human nature. You can praise someone for one aspect of their behavior, and condemn them for another. The people who try to make it all or nothing, to put everyone and everything in boxes...those people cause the most problems in life.

No one is worthy of no respect. No one is worthy of all respect. "Good" people do awful things, and bad people (which is all of us) do selfless, caring things...and even when they do those selfless, caring things for selfish motives, like to garner attention or praise, that doesn't mean the act itself can't be appreciated.

This is a very good post.  

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

This is a very good post.  

I always consider the source 2c

12 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

It is absolutely hilarious, considering the source of that post.

Please stop attacking me publicly. The "source of that post" is me. I would appreciate if you would stop defaming me. I don't talk to or about you on this board, and would appreciate the same consideration. I shouldn't even have to post this.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

You think CGC magically became perfect at detecting trimming just because it was revealed that one guy submitted a lot of trimmed books?

Yes. If that one guy trimmed them all the same way and in a manner that CGC missed and kept missing until becoming aware of it, studying it and then applying the results of that study to their identification process.

What is the comparison here? CGC to what? The card grading service that was complicit, not in accidentally missing something, but missing it because although they knew, they looked the other way? I thought this was a comparison thread. Shoes dropping in cards vs. the potential for shoes dropping in this hobby. And the comparison isn't apples and oranges. It's night vs. day.

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

What is the comparison here? CGC to what? The card grading service that was complicit, not in accidentally missing something, but missing it because although they knew, they looked the other way? I thought this was a comparison thread. Shoes dropping in cards vs. the potential for shoes dropping in this hobby. And the comparison isn't apples and oranges. It's night vs. day.

I realize that is the sentiment around PSA. I truly understand what you are saying. However there has always been a buffer between perception and reality regarding PSA missing things. Like I said, people had been talking up and down about the HW RC being trimmed, but until Mastro admitted it as part of his plea deal, it couldn't be proven in a manner where a judgement could be made against him. Even when that legal judgement was made, PSA didn't take any hit from it, because they found every which way to reason it was undetectable. Do you know how many Wayne Gretzky RC have been cut from sheets? How many of them are floating around out there in PSA slabs? It wouldn't really be a revelation on a sportscard forum, with some long-time collectors, because those collecting cultures actually care, and do look out for each other.

On these forums, you have the hecklers who pop up and do nothing to contribute to a discussion, but are quick to demonstrate their disatisfaction with "yet another pressing thread." Then there's the dealers who depend on the CPR game to make a quick buck, who get their backs up when threads like this try to bring this topic up for discussion.

And with all due respect, I still don't understand the analogies of "day and night" differences, when you have to ask whether the Ewart trimmed books are still in circulation. We're not talking about a single T-206 owned by someone with a net woth of over a billion, who doesn't care one bit it's trimmed, but hundreds of slabs that are floating around where people who have no idea have been trimmed.

Edited by comicwiz