• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Rip said:

Brian has tons of slabs. Just ask. Or check out his E-bay page.

as I said, I havent been there in a while.  I never saw a single slab on the wall there.  

40 minutes ago, kav said:

I agree they are NOT aware.  I talk to people at LCS a lot and if I mention pressing even to the employees I get "huh"?

I dunno. I belong to a couple of FB comics groups where the lack of knowledge is staggering (even to me who knows so little). One thing they all seem to have in common though, is the absolute firm belief that the first thing you do to any book is have it pressed, even if they have no understanding of pressable v non-pressable defects.

Also, I posit a third category of condition-related work: there is conservation, restoration, to which we should ad presstoration.

I'll uh, just let myself out now.

Edited by mackenzie999

9 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

But a collector still prefers the book WITHOUT the dent than the one with it.

And in the absence of pressing, they would spend their money on the book that never had a dent.

1 minute ago, kav said:

as I said, I havent been there in a while.  I never saw a single slab on the wall there.  

He has very few on the walls because most customers don't care. But he's always been a solid trader.

15 minutes ago, FeRaL said:

I think Borock's greed is responsible for the pressing mess, he wants anything and everything that makes a book look better in a Blue label.

Not a chance. There is a great deal of pre-history which people have been sitting on from even before PCS shuttered it's doors. Look at the people who were supposed to be running that entreprise. Those guys did a lot of the early entrenching of these doctoring techniques, although I sometimes wonder what they think when they see what Spectre-boy turned it into.

1 minute ago, Rip said:

He has very few on the walls because most customers don't care. But he's always been a solid trader.

aha so MOST COLLECTORS dont know about pressing or care about slabs!
The End

47 minutes ago, namisgr said:
57 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

"Cleaned and pressed" was recurrent language in the descriptions of books for sale in trade papers prior to online sales times...... So acceptable pressing is more commonplace and the rules of blue label qualified pressing and cleaning are slightly different. But by no means is this anything new.

In the days before CGC, the phrase 'cleaned and pressed' commonly referred to comics given solvent cleaning, followed by the pressing necessary to prevent the cover from coming out wrinkled.  And this is how CGC started using it as well, labeling restored books with the phrase on its original old purple labels.  It didn't typically refer to dry cleaning and pressing done to take out dents and bends.

We can go in circles but the fact is that people have been pressing books for as long as there have been wrinkles in comics.

We all did it as kids. I used heavy things like encyclopdias which no longer exist except in a WW2 bomb shelter.

When I grew a little older (maybe 8-10 years old), I used my mom's iron and even remember experimenting with the steam. Does that make me an evil kid?

I definitely remember packing my books tightly in boxes so they wouldn't sag and even remember checking them so see if wrinkles disappeared over time.

-----------------------------------

According to other boardies, pressing was done by Marnin Rosenberg who found the Pennsylvania Pedigree and Greg Buhr who brought the Recil Macon Pedigree to market - both back in the 90's. This was well before CGC was even a thought in someone's mind. It was before the internet.

And while they may not have pressed every book, the incentive was there for more expensive books. There is just more incentive to press books now than there was 25 years ago because even run issues have become more valuable.

So pressing is not 'new', wasn't done on only restored books and is not something devised by CGC.

Edited by VintageComics

5 minutes ago, kav said:
7 minutes ago, Rip said:

aha so MOST COLLECTORS dont know about pressing or care about slabs!
The End

You're moving the goal posts a bit.

Those that care about slabs likely know about pressing.

Those that are looking for a VG copy of ASM #84 to read probably don't know, don't care and never will. But it doesn't matter, does it?

If someone runs a full page advertisement in a newspaper and you don't see it, is it the paper's fault you didn't see it?

The point is this: It's not a secret and doesn't really run parallel to the story on baseball cards.

Edited by VintageComics

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

You're moving the goal posts a bit.

Those that care about slabs likely know about pressing.

Those that are looking for a VG copy of ASM #84 to read probably don't know, don't care and never will. But it doesn't matter, does it?

If someone runs a full page advertisement in a newspaper and you don't see it, is it the paper's fault you didn't see it?

The point is this: It's not a secret and doesn't really run parallel to the story on baseball cards.

I'm just saying I do not believe the majority of comic collectors know about pressing.  I collected comics for 50 years and did not learn about it until I came here.  I never heard it mentioned at any time at a comic shop or by other collectors.  I think saying 'most collectors know about pressing' is just some kind of self justification that it's ok, pulled from exactly nowhere.

1 minute ago, kav said:

I'm just saying I do not believe the majority of comic collectors know about pressing.  I collected comics for 50 years and did not learn about it until I came here.  I never heard it mentioned at any time at a comic shop or by other collectors.  I think saying 'most collectors know about pressing' is just some kind of self justification that it's ok, pulled from exactly nowhere.

Did you collect slabs?

Have you stuck your head into a Facebook slab group?

Most of those people can't even write a lucid sentence but they know what 'cleaning and pressing' is. lol

It's relative. Everything is relative.

But when it comes to slabs collectors (and even many non slab collectors) pressing is not a secret.

And among slab collectors, it's very well known. It would be impossible NOT to know. As RMA said, pressers set up at shows, there are advertisements online.

Heck, you found out after joining here. How is that for proof?

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m not convinced....

You shouldn't be. There's a great big world of comic book collectors / readers who don't use third party grading and don't understand / know about pressing.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Because that's what they want you to think. :sumo:

:whatthe:

123683.jpg

Just now, VintageComics said:

Did you collect slabs?

Have you stuck your head into a Facebook slab group?

Most of those people can't even write a lucid sentence but they know what 'cleaning and pressing' is. lol

It's relative. Everything is relative.

But when it comes to slabs collectors (and even many non slab collectors) pressing is not a secret.

And among slab collectors, it's very well known. It would be impossible NOT to know. As RMA said, pressers set up at shows, there are advertisements online.

Heck, you found out after joining here. How is that for proof?

I think we're having difficulty agreeing about the word "most"

Just now, kav said:

I think we're having difficulty agreeing about the word "most"

If the spend collecting time online, go to shows or collect slabs they probably know about pressing.

If they live in their mom's basement and have no online access they probably don't.

Just now, VintageComics said:

If the spend collecting time online, go to shows or collect slabs they probably know about pressing.

If they live in their mom's basement and have no online access they probably don't.

I'm using the word quantitatively.  Rough guess 75% have no idea about pressing but could as much as 90%

Just now, kav said:

I'm using the word quantitatively.  Rough guess 75% have no idea about pressing but could as much as 90%

90% of the world probably doesn't know what the New York Times is but those that read newspapers do.

It's all about context.